1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Of all the teams out there..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by latebloomer19, Jun 5, 2013.

1. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Why did you choose to be a rocket fan?

Hi guys, it may seem to be another thread on how you became a rocket fan etc. I'm a fan from the Philippines, and I've been here on clutchfans since 2009 but I've been checking this site since 2007. I was only 3 years old when I first got to see the rockets on tv. My dad introduced me too Hakeem Olajuwon, not Michael Jordan. He was astonished by the way that Dream played, from his footwork and amazing all around defense. From that day on, I grew up as a rockets fan and my dad kept on buying me nba trading cards. I grew to play basketball like hakeem, doing post moves, dream shake, fadeaway shots like the dream did eventhough I'm only 5'9. Then came steve franchise and yao. I still did like them even if the jerseys were that ugly. I really didn't care what my friends used to say about yao being thin, yao being to soft, yao would be destroyed by shaq. Believe me guys, fans here in the phil. Are only interested for those well known players or star studded teams like miami and lakers. When tmac was traded here in houston, I didn't really know him that well before, that at first, I didn't like the trade because steve was part of that trade. But when tmac was with the rockets, it was the best days of my life as a fan. I would like to continue my story but I'm at work and had only to share this as a fellow fan. We could really use some new jerseys though right?

So may I ask the other fans here, how did you become a fan? :)

2 people like this.
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Lived in Houston since I was a baby.

3. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Oh, you think you're a Rockets fan. But you merely adopted the red and gold; I was born in it, molded by it.

The Rockets betray you, because they belong to me!

1 person likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was born in Houston, I bleed Houston red. I work in Houston. Growing up I remember my dad going streaking after the rockets won the second championship because his friends said he wouldn't.

The thought of cheering for a team that's not from Houston sickens me.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Because **** everyone else, that's why.

6. BorrisBeck

BorrisBeck Member

I'm also from the Philippines. I followed the Rockets when Yao was drafted, and up until i bleed Red.

2 people like this.
  7. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Glad to hear that borris. But may I ask why do you only have 3 posts? :D

8. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Always liked the Rockets, but that 22-0 streak did it for me. Ever since I probably missed like 2games each season until comcast came along :mad:

FU COMCAST!!!!!!!!!!

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

*Well pro team outside of Houston.

Eat em up cats!

10. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Was Born in Nacogdoches, raised in Beaumont. Just growing up hearing about Hakeem and our two chips, I grew up watching Stevie and Yao, I just loved the watching them play just since than I bled red and yellow. As I got older and understood the game I looked at Houstons history and appreciated it. Its just a great club.

Also **** San Antonio and Dallas, I hate those cities.

11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Closest team to me geographically, plus my dad was a huge fan and it rubbed off on me.

12. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Enough said!!

13. BorrisBeck

BorrisBeck Member

I'm just a reader here.

I really want to follow Rockets. If i ever have a chance to work in Houston, i will.

Just sharing, advantage of being a rockets fan in Nba 2k.

Me and my brother always play Nba 2k. I always use the Rockets, he is shock when i can make TJones shoot three. He didn't know who is TJones. But damn, i cannot make DMO shoot corner three. I also use teams with former Rockets.

14. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

This.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Simple. Grew up a Houstonian so I follow all Houston sports teams.

16. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

McGrady was my favorite player growing up.

17. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Born near Houston. Hometown team.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My barber growing up was a Rockets fan, I caught the fever when the team started the season undefeated for something like 15 games. I think that was in 1993.

19. alethios

alethios Member

So true. I love Houston sports teams still, even though I live on the Left Coast, surrounded by Faker fans. Actually, that's made me love them more. That and Chandler Parsons.

20. yunac010

yunac010 Member

My stepdad is originally from Houston so I spent a good chunk of my childhood coming home afterschool and watching Rockets games with him. Admittedly my interest in the Rockets waned a bit when Yao retired and I started college, but the Harden trade has piqued my interest again.