1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Odom vs Miller ?? Somebody call my momma ?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gr8-1, Dec 2, 1999.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Props to the cat (from wcw) for that. Seriously, lamar seems to be the total package. He's tall, quick, athletic, has range, and seems pretty heady. He torched snottie for over 30 earlier this year, what is he gonna do to walt williams ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

where the heck did i get miller from ? Maybe im thinking of reggie. Anyways, i meant williams.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

3. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

gr8-1,
    Odom is good. But he's highest scoring game was 30 points against the Sonics, not the Trailblazers. I think Odom scored 23-24 in the game I believe you're talking about. Pippen, Detlef, and Wallace split time guarding him, so Pippen's defense wasn't there to limit that 20+ point performance the entire night. But you're right about one thing: we had better have Anderson and Rogers on Odom's ass all night long he'll break Wilt's single-game scoring record.

4. CaucasionSensation

Odom's amazing, if the Clippers can keep him they are going to have a much better future. It really sounds like he wants to stay too. It's going to be interesting to see if Francis can pull ahead of him for the Rookie of the Year voting.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CS,I've been thinking about what you brought up and I really think Stevie will pull in front of Odom.The Rocks should get this ship righted in the water.Francis can do whatever he wants out there.If he was allowed to go off like Iverson then he would average 30-35 a game.He's much better at this stage than Allen was.I liken him to a mini (dare i say it)M.J..If he played the 2 then he'd be a shoe in,but he is quickly becoming a great point guard....the hardest position to learn..When I see the hunger and killer instinct it reminds me of Jordan.When I see the love of the game it reminds me of Magic.
    The stat lines bring up memories of Earvin too.Stevie combines the athleticism of M.J. with the blossoming point guard qualities of Magic.Barring major injury,it's my opinion that we are watching a legend in the making.What do you think? HH
    I do think he should be going to the line 10-15 times a game.Rudy needs to clear out for him more often and take advantage of the new rules.
    More championships to follow!He makes the players around him so much better....sweeeeet passes!
    [This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 02, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 02, 1999).]

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are on the money, HH. We are watching a legend in the making. You drew a great comparison in likening Francis to a combination of MJ and Magic. I think that is the best way to describe him. I am amazed that he is making the players around him better while having only played 16 NBA games!! This kid is something special. He is quickly becoming one of the league's elite point guards.

[This message has been edited by JeffB (edited December 02, 1999).]

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks JeffB,Do you think that if we had a quality veteran point(down the line)that we should give Francis some minutes at the 2, ONCE IN AWHILE?
    I think it would be something to see!

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s hard for me to answer that because Stevie's point guard abilities have me entranced. It would be something nice to see Stevie at the 2, but I think it is better for his all around game (and the team) if he plays the point. His scoring would increase but it may take away from his ability to control the tempo of a game. I like to see him creating shots for his teammates and taking over the game when the offense is dragging along. I don’t see a big reason for him playing the 2. I take it is so he can score more, but I don’t see being the point guard precluding him from racking up points. It’s just more important that he pick his spots when he scores those points. There were times when Magic and Isaiah had to take the bull by the horns and drop 30 on an opponent without dropping their point guard duties. Its tough to do, but he is Steve Francis. [​IMG]

I think about how Phil Jackson really used Jordan and Pippen. Jordan and Pip took turns at the point on that team. Kerr and Paxson were just tiny shooting guards. I think the goal was to keep the ball in their hands and let them decide the direction of the offense. I wouldn’t want Francis to play the 2 because I’d rather see him hawk the ball and decide the flow of the offense. Playing the two takes the ball out of Stevie’s hands and he is much more dangerous when he has the ball. Stevie has an uncanny ability to create open shots for other players. He keeps the defense on its heels. Steve is a true triple threat. However, I do feel that when he passes the ball to someone, we should (at times) run him off screens in the manner that Utah does with Stockton. In the end, I guess the issue is that Steve is just a straight up guard. Not a 2. Not a 1. But a fusion of of both positions with some rebounding thrown in.

I do feel we need a steady vet. I also think that we need a guy at the two who will consistently hit the open shot, preferably from 3 point range. Steve is opening up the 3 point line with his penetration. We just need someone to sink that shot.