1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

odom and butler?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Bag0b0y, Aug 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

i'm new to this forum so i don't know if this was ever mentioned b4 but i was just curious why would miami want to have odom when they already have a starting small forward in caron butler? it doesn't make sense to me unless one of them would be willing to come off the bench? or maybe move brian grant at center and play one of them at power and the other at small? are they shopping around caron?????? or is odom going to play point? then if that's the case i guess wade would back him up...i'm confused??????????

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

YOu're right, they seem to be stockpiling swingmen, because they already have Eddie Jones and they drafted Dwayne Wade. I think Riley has this fantasy that he can turn Odom into Magic Johnson and have him be the point guard.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think Riley wants Odom to play point, Caron small forward, Wade at shooting gaurd and do anything they can to trade Eddie Jones. They could keep Jones and have Wade come off the bench to a guard position and have Odom move to SF to give Caron a rest. If they do get Odom they only need to get a legit center so Grant can play PF and get some depth and they would be set (assuming Wade lives up to expectations).

If the Clips don't match Odom then Miami should be able to make the playoffs easily this year. If the Clips do match they'll probably tank the season, get a high draft pick and still have cap room for some free agents next year, but I don't think Riley wants another lottery season so he may waste their cap space on sub-par free agents this year out of desperation.

4. Blitz

Blitz Member

They want to trade Eddie now. But if they can't, wade would come of the bench. But miami is tryin to get rid of eddie for about anything right now.

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

anything??

how about moochie and mo taylor?

That would work from a financial perspective as well..

6. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

why can't Odom play the point I think he has the skills to be a pseudo Magic Johnson

7. munco

munco Member

i think odom played some point his rookie year. he can definitely play some point. the guy is one of the most talented players in the league but suspensions and injuries have hurt him. he's still only 24 i think and he sounds like he wants to improve. i think it'll be a good year assuming he doesn't get hurt.

I wonder what we'd have to give up to get Eddie Jones...

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

About $55m over the next 4 seasons.

Odom will play Point Forward (Riley was Magic's Showtime coach) and the Rockets will not be able to get Caron Butler and Jones...next topic...

#8 GATER, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003