1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OCA to condemn Shaq's derogatory remarks toward Yao

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moomoo, Jan 16, 2003.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

Please delete if this has already been posted.

--------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/20030116/shaqyaoremarks.html

OCA to condemn Shaq's derogatory remarks toward Yao

January 16, 2003

HOUSTON (Ticker) - The Organization of Chinese Americans will hold a news conference Friday to condemn the derogatory remarks Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal made about Houston Rockets center Yao Ming in June.

The news conference will be in front of the Compaq Center at 4 p.m. EST, hours before O'Neal and Yao are scheduled to meet on the court for the first time.

Despite the protest's location, the Rockets were unaware of any gathering late Thursday afternoon. The Lakers were unavailable for comment.

On Thursday, the Organization of Chinese Americans (OCA) released a statement and called on the NBA to take a pro-active approach toward such racism.

According to the OCA, O'Neal's "derogatory and racial taunt 'ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh' aimed at Yao" on June 28 "was racially offensive and particularly hurtful to the millions of Asian Americans" in the United States.

O'Neal subsequently claimed his statement was just a joke. The OCA's statement said that was a "misguided attempt to diffuse the public's outrage over his remarks and a hollow excuse to justify his prior racist statement."

"Rather than sincerely apologize for being insensitive and unaware of the hurtful impact of what he claims was a joke, Mr. O'Neal issued a statement blaming those who accuse him of making inappropriate remarks of misunderstanding his humor," the statement added.

Charlene Tsang-Kao, the president of Houston's OCA chapter, added that O'Neal "also attempted to excuse his behavior by claiming he is not the first and only one to use these words."

Because of O'Neal's actions, the OCA and other Asian American advocacy groups have called on the leadership of the NBA to:

-- encourage Mr. O'Neal to re-examine his statements and issue a sincere, unqualified apology to Mr. Yao and all Americans for his rhetoric.

-- issue a statement denouncing race-based "taunts" by all NBA personnel.

-- require diversity awareness seminars for all NBA personnel, including its players and coaching staff.

-- prepare a public service announcement to educate all Americans, in particular, our youth, by denouncing race-based taunting.

Raymond Wong, the national president of OCA, said the situation goes beyond Yao or even Asian Americans.

"We hope the positive outcome of what has happened, the lesson we can learn, is for all of us to re-affirm our respect and consideration for one another, not matter what color, what nationality or what sport," he added.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just think its ironic how Asians are claiming racism agaist Shaq, when I know as an Asian American, Asians are often guilty of being racist.

And before any of my fellow Asians start to flame me. Ask this question to yourself first. What would your parents think if you told them you wanted to marry a black person. Or what would you think if your kids came up to you said the same.

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

It doesn't matter. Chinese women are too rebellious. They are all hooked with Caucasians these days. :)

4. dieselpower51

dieselpower51 New Member

"It doesn't matter. Chinese women are too rebellious. They are all hooked with Caucasians these days."

Well, the ones that aren't being paid aren't too rebellious....

5. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

They don't make jokes about burning crosses or calling folks ni#$ers for starters. So when you have children, you won't mind the other kids repeating Shaq's behavior toward them, since your kids may share Shaq's sense of humor?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are you equating Shaq's joke with burning crosses?

7. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

There was a caller lastnight on 610 that said he was engaged to a chinese chick and she was all offended about Shaq's comments, because a few weeks ago her brother was in a store and some kid comes up to him and did the exact same thing Shaq did.

8. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Making a joke about burning crosses. There is zero ambiguity in my statement.

Where's the line here? Should it be OK for someone who makes himself out to be some icon to make a joke about some other stereotype like slanty eyes or nappy hair?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sorry I missed that.

I think you have to consider his intent. Was he really being racist or just making a joke?

And another, why is everyone getting in line to be the next "victim" of intolerance. As far as I can tell no one is getting hurt by his comments. Stop being so sensitive.

10. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

"I just think its ironic how Asians are claiming racism agaist Shaq, when I know as an Asian American, Asians are often guilty of being racist.

And before any of my fellow Asians start to flame me. Ask this question to yourself first. What would your parents think if you told them you wanted to marry a black person. Or what would you think if your kids came up to you said the same."

Looks like you have a major issue you need to deal with. I am a Chinese American and I don't speak for all Asian American. And you do.

Just to set the record straight, My dad NEVER said any bad words about African American in his life.

As far as your stereo-typical attitude toward Asian American, you need to stuff it in your Arse.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Close this thread!

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Shaq should apologize. Racism hurts everyone, whether black, Asian, White, Hispanic, etc.

Racism Bad. Rockets Good.

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

As a WASP, I am disgusted by the preferential treatment Shaq received over this incident. When Payne Stewart made a similar comment about Asians, he got fried by the media. When Shaq did it, you got AA defending him. Ironic? Not at all. This is reverse discrimination at its best.

14. Rocketsss

Rocketsss Member

I believe shaq used the wrong words when he joked. Some people will feel offended and some don't. Maybe shaq just tried to be funny but he aint for ****.

15. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

To all board members (including rockbox),

My apology to my outbust.

To rockbox,

I am sorry that you hang around with bunch of bigots. But please don't generalize it to millions of Asian American.

16. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

don't listen to roxbox, he is the sorriest example of a racist apolgist I can imagine. What Shaq said was WRONG. Just think about it. If you can't see how making fun of Chinese people is wrong, think what would happen if Yao made monkey noises and movements when interviewed about Shaq.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The OCA is a little slow on this issue....

I don't like the precedent this would set for little kids. I also don't think all Asians know kung fu....

18. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Media looked the other way on Shaq's slur

By L.A. Chung
    Mercury News Staff Columnist

San Jose native Vu Nguyen is angry. And he's going to be closely watching tonight's game between the L.A. Lakers and the Houston Rockets -- and not because he's a basketball fan.

He's angry at the way Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal mocked Houston phenom Yao Ming with fake Chinese gibberish and make-believe kung-fu moves. He's angrier at the sports media in Houston and L.A., which didn't pick up on it. He's even angrier at Bay Area sports media for not carrying a peep about it, even after reporting about remarks against gays by 49ers star Garrison Hearst and New York Giants rookie Jeremy Shockey.

``Tell Yao Ming, `Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-so,' '' O'Neal said, during an interview on Fox television.

Eeeeew. Cringe. How could he? (He's that funster, Shaq!) How could we not report it? (D'oh!)

Let's be clear. This isn't just about sports. Any observer can tell you that professional sports is also about other things. It's about money. It's about role models. It's about pop culture.

Ching-chong chinaman sittin' on a fence, tryin' to make a dollar out of 99 cents. (Repeat with me, in sing-song cadence.)

This is a heck of a way for the NBA to get viewers.

Un-apology, un-coverage

Actually, the sports media did report it. Sort of. O'Neal did apologize. Sort of. The NBA did something. Sort of.

It all came six months later, after parts were rebroadcast to a national audience on Fox Sports Radio where listeners offered their own jokes to talk show host Tony Bruno. And the apology and media attention came only in reaction to an opinion piece this month in the San Francisco-based newspaper AsianWeek (circulation 50,000).

Writer Irwin Tang called O'Neal on his comments, and told Asian-Americans they deserved it if they didn't tell the Lakers, the NBA and the news media what they thought about it. Tang, a native of College Station, Texas, spent a childhood growing up in Aggie-land hearing mock Chinese taunts directed at him ``while teachers averted their ears.'' When Tang heard it replayed on Fox, he couldn't stop the sick feeling in his stomach.

Finally came the hedged apology last Friday: ``If I offended anyone, I'm sorry,'' said O'Neal. Ah, yes. The old ``if.'' Preceded by: ``I think (the mock Chinese) was a 70-30 joke -- 70 percent of people thought it was funny, 30 percent didn't."

Oh, let's take a vote. Or let's imagine if mock African gibberish and spear-throwing were directed at a black player, Nguyen theorized. Outrage? You bet.

Ching-chong chinaman sittin' on a fence, tryin' to make a dollar out of 99 cents.

I heard that, as a third-grader, walking home from my neighborhood school on the Peninsula. It was nonsensical, but I knew enough to know they were making fun of me. But none of them were multimillionaire role models.

``We all have that collective memory from the playground,'' said Ohio-reared Neela Banerjee, AsianWeek's editor-in-chief, who can remember similar jeers for South Asians. She's glad that national media attention has focused on it now.

Hung up on labels

It's not even really about Shaq or whether Shaq is a racist.

Nice guys can say racist things. Buffoons can say racist things. Well-educated people can say racist things. Even while never intending to be racist.

The question is impact. And what you do about it afterward.

The NBA is clear on its course, says Nguyen: making more money off of Yao's new fans. It sells tickets to Chinatown youth groups and makes sure game announcements are in Mandarin. And then it averts its ears while funsters have their fun.

It's a heck of a way to get viewers.

19. BALLhog 247 365

thres an petition for it on petition.com

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen if Yao spoke something in jive and then told a reporter to tell it to Shaq. Don't you think the backlash would be much greater?

Everybody knows Shaq didn't mean to cause any damage. It just shows what an immature idiot the guy is. I mean how ignorant do you have to be to realize those type of comments aren't acceptable.

I had already lost respect for Shaq when he made the joke about not playing for the US unless Phil Jackson coaches. (NOTE to Shaq defenders: I didn't say I lost respect for him because he decided not to play).

Shaq isn't a bad guy...he's just a ****ing idiot.