1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations from the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Elienator, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Elienator

Elienator Member

This was the first game I got to all season, just want to share a few observations. The opening lineup I thought was a pretty good combo, but they couldn't really hit early on. However, in the second, the rockets were moving the ball really well and looked good. Carlos Rogers consistently crashed the board and moved without the ball. Incomprehensible how he didn't play in the fourth. I really think Rudy T cost the rockets this one. He might be a great talent evaluator or great with working with players, but he showed a real lack of head coaching skill in this one. Matt Bullard playing the majority of the fourth quarter? Why wasn't Carlos Rogers in? I like Matt Bullard, but he flat out sucked this game. Also, Moochie should have come out much sooner in the fourth. Finally, Cat's boneheaded decision might be partially Rudy's fault. In the previous stoppage of play, it's the coach's job to remind players to call a timeout. He should have been screaming for a timeout at the end of the game also. Maybe he was, in which case I can't blame him for that, but keeping Bullard and Moochie in for so long was mind boggling.

------------------

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was also at the game and I must disagree. Rudy's lineups seemd alright throughout the game tonight. You must remember in the 4th we were down by 16 at one point. That is why he had Bullard in there so long (he didnt put bullard in until somewhat into the 4th if I remember). As far as Moochie goes, Francis had 4 points going into the 4th and Mocchie was playing agressive, and getting fouled and hitting his free throws quite often. Then, Rudy put Steve back in to see if there was a spark and there was. And you have to keep Bullard in to get back into the game. There are two reasons we lost this game--1)turnovers, 2)poor weakside defense
    This team is a player or two away and a practice or two or a hundred also [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are some frauds so well conducted that it would be stupidity not to be deceived by them."
    Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832)

3. Elienator

Elienator Member

Bullard was in for at least 8 minutes in the fourth quarter even once the Rockets were back in the game. Please explain why he must be in the game when their down a lot? Because of his amazing defense? Because of his quick speed and ability to put the ball on the floor? Oh, it must be his ability to air ball threes. He obviously wasn't on tonight. Francis might not have been hot until the fourth, but once he came in, the Rockets were right back in it. In hindsight it's easy to say he should have been in earlier, so I'll give you that.

Still doesn't explain why 'Los had less minutes then Bullard or why Rudy wasn't screaming for a timeout at the end of the game. Plus if you think weakside defense was partially responsible (which I agree, the hustle board or whatever they called it clearly showed the difference in the game) anyone else would have been better than Bullard.

------------------

4. alaskansnowman

Maybe there wasnt a timeout called because they did not want to let the Jazz defense setup.

------------------
    da ability to focus attention on important things is a defining characteristic of intelligence - alaskanSnowman

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bullard was in because he can shoot threes. He wasnt on last night, youre right, but normally he is fairly consistent so Rudy had to keep him in there. We were not back into the game until about 1 minute left, at which point we cut a 97-90 lead down to 97-94 and even then you would still want Bullard in for his three point shooting ability. DOnt get me wrong, his defense is generally horrible, but if he had hit that three I dont think youd be complaining about Rudy's lineup. I agree with you on Los. I think he should have played more. I think he should be in for KT though. Kenny's game wasnt too sharp last night either and Los did something good everytime he touched the ball. Just for some reason Rudy doesnt like to play him too too much. I dont know why???

------------------
    "There are some frauds so well conducted that it would be stupidity not to be deceived by them."
    Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832)