1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obscure 90's songs and one-hit wonders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Isabel, Apr 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Superunknown was a great Grunge album, probably a top 5 for me, but I gotta say the best Grunge album is "Core" by Stone Temple Pilots. That one is just so amazingly good to me. "Nevermind" is close to it.

Ha,:D I figured you'd ask that question to me about Zep sooner or later, Manny. My dad has always had Led's "II" and "IV" in his car (he never listens to it, that I know of), but one time he played Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid for me when I was little and I was hooked ever since. I'd crank up the volume, bang my head, and just take in the timeless sounds of those songs and Whole Lotta Love. This was when I was 7 or 8! I'm a big believer of what you're experienced to when your a kid greatly affects what type of music you'll like later. I'm just very grateful he played it for me then.

And, I have been trying to get into Pink Floyd (success), The Who (work in progress), and the Rolling Stones (got the 40 Licks CD's). I like Floyd the best out of the 3 since I have more stuff by them at this point, but none of them will ever come close to Zep for me.

My taste in music is so wierd because it's so broad and varied.
    1. Mainstream Rap
    2. Led Zeppelin
    3. Grunge
    4. 90's/Early 00's Rock (Green Day, 311, etc.)
    5. Classic Rock (AC/DC, CCR, etc.)
    6. Country (Straight, Brooks, etc.)

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

This is so obscure that me thinks it has been made up!:p

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Mudhoney isn't obscure.

Go buy Superfuzz Bigmuff immediately.

4. rockets-#1

I was just previewing some of their stuff on iTunes, and it all sounds so badly recorded. It didn't sound live either. Were they signed with some lower budget, smaller, cheaper recording company? I bet their stuff would sound a lot better if it didn't have so much of an air guitar sound to it.

5. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

hahaha, you have a lot to learn, friend.

small budget? Try NO budget.

Anyway, songs matter, not recordings. The Brentwoods and Mummies rule, though their records are nearly unlistenable. It's all about the songs.

6. rockets-#1

Yeah, I agree, but that logic is a bit flawed. I mean, the songs aren't gonna sound good (least to me) if they're bad quality and the guitar isn't present enough to be heard the way it's meant to. I know you think they sound good the way they are, but think how much better they'd be if they were given quality treatment.

For example, Green Day's "Welcome To Paradise" was originally released on the "Kerplunk" CD, and I didn't like the sound at all. Then, they had a newer version of the song that was recorded with a bigger label on "Dookie" and it sounded awesome - one of their best songs.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You're right, DHB, Mudhoney is not obscure. But unless I am a diehard fan of them or Ms. Cleo, it is hard, next to impossible, for me to know who you are talking about (in the first post) without mentioning their name.:)

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

man, The Way and Torn. they're part of this weird group of songs that, even though they came out over the course of a few years, all remind me of my freshman year of high school, which was 1997. a lot of songs where the accompaniment doesn't have a great beat or aren't really super catchy, but for some reason i really like. few of them are among my favorite songs ever but for some reason the nostalgia factor is off the charts so i always have to listen to them when i hear them on. i went through my mp3's one day and picked out all the ones that fit this category and actually came up with 54 of them and managed to burn 3 cd's from them.

my favorites and the ones i remember hearing the most would have to be:

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia (maybe my favorite of the bunch)
    I Just Wanna Fly - Sugar Ray
    The Way - Fastball
    Real World - Matchbox 20
    Like the Deserts Miss the Rain - Everything but the Girl
    Crush - Jennifer Paige
    Too Close - Next
    Show Me Love - Robyn
    Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
    The Freshmen - Verve Pipe
    Closing Time - Semisonic
    Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
    I Need You - Savage Garden
    Dreaming of You - Selena
    One Headlight - The Wallflowers
    Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
    I Don't Wanna Wait - Paula Cole

then there's Crash by DMB, How Bizarre, Don't Speak by No Doubt, Do You Miss Me by Jocelyn Enriquez, Set U Free by Planet Soul, Chumbawumba, Silent all these Years by Tori Amos, and then a lot of others that have already been mentioned.

80's music still kicks the crap out of 90's music but this was a damn good group of songs.

9. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I will disagree and say Kerplunk sounds way better than Dookie (it's a better record too, btw) and is the way Green Day was meant to sound.

Production is overrated. I'm a firm believer that bands should be recorded live in the studio, with little to no overdubs.

Hell, some of the greatest records of all time were recorded on 4-tracks and cassette recorders. "Nebraska" anyone?

#49 DanHiggsBeard, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005