1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Objectively, where do you rank Morey as a GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMO (DJ remix), Mar 2, 2016.

1. DMO (DJ remix)

Spurs, Raptors, GSW, Celtics, Mavs, Heat got better front office, maybe Blazers as well ? So is he around 7-8 spot, give or take, what's your opinion?

2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He is right now down there somewhere on the bottom of the pile. Most moves done during the offseason and this season seem to have been done out of either desperation or because he was over confident in the team he put together. The Mchale firing without an aftermath plan was definitely the largest example.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

good not great. part of gm'ing is making sure the coaches have the team prepared BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS! clearly that didnt happen this season.
    he should be on the hotseat till next midseason, maybe next offseason. he's had good success here so i dont think it'll be much of a challenge for him.

5. houtown

houtown Member

He is one of the possibly best general managers if not for the possible stubbornness with his coaching philosophy, which I do not think will never succeed at the moment.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Not yet worthy of getting fired despite being more deserving than McHale.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

slurp durp slerp.

8. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Pretty low in the bottom

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I disagree with the Raptors. The rest of it is probably fair. The Spurs have had the best front office for a long time. GSW built a juggernaut.

The Rockets have had a horrible season but you can't ignore how Daryl put the team together with 2 superstars and a WCF appearance last year from basically nothing. Daryl has never been part of a losing season until this year.

You also can't ignore that his coaching hires have not been the best. RA was great IMO. McHale was good I thought but not the right guy going forward. I never liked his defensive philosophy of having defenders gamble so much. JB has done nothing to make me think he is capable.

Daryl is middle of the pack at this point due to this season. But there are only 5 or 6 other GMs I would want ahead of him.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Top 3, and I say this after his IMO worst season as a GM.

11. DMO (DJ remix)

Wow, really? When people say top 5, i can dig that, but top 3? Man there is no way he is better than any of the GSW, Spurs, Heat or even Celtics front offices.

12. rockets13champs

Middle of the crop better than lakers and knicks for sure. But worst than mavs, blazers spurs thunder warriors gms

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Taken into account the team he inherited, how Leslie forced him to rebuild with losing, forces him to chase every superstar on the block etc. he's definitely top 5! Too bad our organisation is starting to get a bad rep partly because of him.

14. StrawberryJamm

Makes good trades for the most part, drafts very well in the 2ND round, had a solid plan of acquiring superstars while staying competitive coming in.
    Below average results drafting in the 1st round, terrible job with coaches.

Would have said top 5 before this season, now it'd be a stretch putting him in the top 10.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

No better than 11th.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Really J.R.? I always respect your opinion, so really want to know which 10 GMs in the timespan since Morey took over get the nod and why? Hope you have time to elaborate.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

IMO he's definitely in the conversation.

Spurs are the undisputed #1. Sure Pops inherited Duncan but they have overachieved for 15+ years with player development, offensive philosophy, defensive coaching, FA signings, playoff performance, team morale, consistency and identity. Buford/Pops are #1 hands down.

Pat Riley is excellent. Morey didn't have a prime Lebron and Bosh join Harden, nor is he in one of the most desirable cities in America. Shaq and Wade were a far better duo than Harden/Howard in a much weaker conference than Morey has EVER been in. The Lebron rings are not really Riley's doing, I give 50% of that credit to Lebron.

Warriors seem like they're on the SAS path, but let's look at this objectively. They have 1 ring and are currently in the midst of a historic regular season. Prior to that they were running a joke of an organization with Mark Jackson as the head coach. They kept the roster intact because they could not do anything else. Their hands were tied. No one could have predicted Curry, Thompson or Green would be this good, and I'm sure they didn't realize how big this was going to get. Kerr has been a revelation. It's 1.5 outstanding seasons IMO and they deserve the props but I'm not sure that their GM is a better GM than Morey. I think if we had Kerr and they had Kerr, we may be the ones with a ring last season - having said that, picking a coach is part of a GM's job so kudos to them.

Celtics: He has one ring from getting 3 superstars. That was one hell of a summer getting those guys, for sure. The only other thing I can point to is that he's collected an impressive number of draft picks.

In general, I consider a GM's performance to be based on consistently converting assets over a long period of time. What you had vs what you have over a long period of time. If I were going to judge Morey on this season alone, I'd say let's get rid of him. But he has brought us a long way. Most teams are riddled with bad contracts they can't get rid of. Most teams don't produce more than the sum of their talent. Most teams aren't ahead of the curve when it comes to NBA trends.

The big thing with Morey is coaching. Can he marginzalize his ultra corporate mindset and find a coach who is about more than obedience? Is he capable of understanding that there is more to head coaching than practice and on-court strategy? Can he see that there are a particular set of intangible, non-statistical principles by which people like the Spurs and Warriors live, which allow them to do better than their sum of talent and make them desirable places for young players?

Let's see. It all depends on this summer. As far as his total career, he has created a huge turnaround for this team in terms of what we have and what we can achieve in the FA market and draft. Like coaches however, some GM's can push you to the brink of contention but be lacking that finishing quality which makes teams great. JVG and Thibs can juice every last bit of production out of your team, but their style rarely takes you to the promise land. I'm afraid Morey may be in that boat too but let's find out.

19. DMO (DJ remix)

See, that's the thing, if you penalize other GM's for certain stuff, like Riley and etc, Morey should be penalized for his stuborness and I know everything best attidute, he not only wants to be a GM, but also a voice and the leader he can't be, when it's obvious he can't put the trust on well established coaches, because their view and opinions on a lot of stuff will be different, he is great at getting assets, but not great at making team from these assets.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

I have to say though that as far as understanding basketball and what it takes to win, Morey is a complete moron. I think even in using analytics the right way he has failed.