1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Obama to Annouce first Stage of Afghanistan Troop Withdrawl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 21, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

As Rachel Maddow said last night, this is going to cause political chaos for the republicans especially with their stance on Lybia.

link

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This will be bad for my business interests but very good for the United States of America.

3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

This is great news for John McCain!

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Warmonger Obama better not divert them to Libya.

5. SunsRocketsfan

why and how is this going to cause political chaos to the Republicans?

Also glad we are finally getting out but I'll believe it when I see it. Let's not forget he increased troops levels from about 40,000 to 100,000 since he took office. So cutting 5000 in July is pretty small.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He should have never increased the troop numbers. This is a SF war and always has been. Afghanistan is where traditional forces go to die.

[​IMG]

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Typical Obama. Cautious maneuvering. He knows they should come home, but he is afraid of doing anything that will piss off anyone.

There is nothing left to win there and he knows it. It is a shame to play the troops like this.

Who wants to be the last one killed for Karzai?

8. Classic

Classic Member

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

So if Obama ends up pulling 30k troops out of Afghanistan, that would leave only 21k more troops than when Bush left office.

Yay.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because they won't know which side to take

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Why do we always announce our strategic movements to the media now? Isn't this like saying: "Hey Taliban, why don't you begin your major counter-offensive to coordinate with our pre-announced, dated, and numbered troop withdrawel."

Why wouldn't we just slowly siphon troops out and replace them with trained local replacements?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're right, i'm sure they wouldn't notice that big ass amount of troops leaving.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because everything the media knows, the Taliban scouts and intel units probably know already.

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Pulling troops out right before election year?! Very slick Mr. President.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been the plan all along since the Afghan troop surge was announced two years ago.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Of course they will, they oppose anything that Obama is for...

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was hoping for a more aggressive pullout. We killed The Big Guy. Time to declare victory, pull most of our people out, and have our superb special forces, along with those of our allies, do the dirty work, along with our intelligence assets. Buy more, and better, drones.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

As an aside, while Obama draws down the troop levels in Afghanistan to only 20,000 more than when he came into office (lol), the US version of the mechanical hound hits 1 million hours logged.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obama said he would escalate afghanistan when he was running. he said he would wind down iraq, he has done exactly that. now no one wants to be in Afghanistan and he is gonna start winding that operation down.

20. SunsRocketsfan

Can Obama do any wrong in your eyes? I clearly didnt vote for Obama and most likely never will but the one hope I had for him was he would bring some change to our foreign policy. Let's not forget one of the main points he campaigned against was Bush's neoconservative foreign/miliatry policy. I was hoping this was one area where he would actually make some change.

Also I dont know about you but I think a lot of people feel misled. He did not campaign to increase 47,000+ more troops and tens and thousands more in priviate miliatry contractors. I also don't think he "promised" to double the occupation size in Afghanistan. It's a huge and massive increase what Obama has done and it has gone almost a bit unnoticed because of people like you that just buy into and accept "Obama promised Afghan escalation so its all cool". If Bush was still in office I'm sure you would be screaming your head off along with a lot of democrats in congress at the troop increase. I agree that works the other way also and that Republicans are probably being more critical of Obama and his wars just beause he's a Democrat. I wonder how they would be acting if it was a Republican in office. I guess thats just partisan politics for you.