1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Doesn't Have It And It May Be Too Late to Get It

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He has let the Boehners,Kochs,Murdochs the Palins and Becks beat him. Polls show that Just Say "No" Boehner will likely be Speaker of the House. The Repubs will know what to do with this power.

Glenn Beck has 300,000 rallying in DC, against their own economic interests out of frustration. The Dems, as the potential representatives of the vast working majority, could turn out many more, but Obama with his trust in Geithner, Summers, Emmanuel, and cautious middle of the road whatever has turned off his base.

I suspect even Obama will get tired of taking it, but he will be much weaker after November. I suspect he will fight harder for his reelection, but it may be too late.

What a wasted opportunity for leadership.

I'm disciplined. I'll vote for Obama again, but what a waste.

#1 glynch, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Going forward, I think a first-term President losing seats in the mid-terms is going to be the norm; as it provides independent voters an opportunity to "vent" and/or re-assert their influence on government. The only reason Bush 43 didn't lose seats was because of September 11th.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

4. Major

Major Member

Why?

1982 - Reagan was unpopular (approval got down as low as 35%!), GOP lost many seats in the House, and then Reagan had the biggest win every in the electoral college in 1984. Not surprisingly, the economy was bottoming in a very deep recession in 1982, just as it appears to be doing now.

1994 - Clinton was unpopular, Dems got obliterated in the House, and the Clinton was one of our most popular recent Presidents over the next 6 years.

People always try to write the obituaries of people/groups in politics (remember how the GOP was dead just 2 years ago?) - but history has shown that what happens now has very little relevance to what happens in two years.

So you think a once in a generation financial reform and once in a lifetime health care reform were a waste? This admin has done more in 2 years than any Democrat has over their entire Presidency since FDR.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. Did anyone much past left-of-center truly think their full agenda could/would be implemented? We are not a parliamentary system.

What Obama has accomplished is truly remarkable. Whether the electorate realizes it or not.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

glynch, you are part of the hopeless left-wing that has no grip on reality. Although you will deny it, a large chunk of the Dem agenda has been achieved already. If you expected a lot more, that proves how unrealistic you are.

As someone already posted regarding Reagan and Clinton, burying a president BEFORE mid-terms elections is just dumb. Grow up and stop your pity party. People like you who whine about a "wasted opportunity" need to take a break from the Kool Aid.

If whining were a national sport, it would be dominated by Tea Partiers and silly lefties.

1 person likes this.
  8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Any vote for Obama is a waste -- especially regarding economics. :grin:

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The American people's perspective has been shaped by the one hour TV drama. If their problems aren't solved in an hour they change channels. They understand nothing of the inertia of public policy, the compromises required to pass anything in a democracy or the inherent complexities of implementing any change. They think the US President has significant control over the economy and government expenditures.

They decide their votes over 30 second political ads and photoshopped pictures that cannot address anything of real substance. They don't think and are easily manipulated into supporting causes against their wellbeing .

C'est la vie, MF's

To wit:

Why would anyone making less than $250,000 a year be for extending the Bush tax cuts?

Why would anyone who works with their hands be against Government regulation of the workplace?

Why would anyone who pays for their own health insurance or has no insurance be against a fairer insurance market place?

Why would anyone who invests for their future be against more regulation of the financial markets?

Why would anyone who believes the Constitution insures freedom of religion be against anyone wanting to build a mosque?

Why would anyone who believes that the Constitution ensures equal protection under the law be for the discrimination of people because of their race or sexual preference?

Generally we are a nation of NASCAR mulletheads who waste our education, distort our religion and mindlessly serve our moneyed overlords. The only reason we ever had a 'Greatest Generation' is because we had an outside threat that superseded all other factionalism and motivated us to pull together and advance so we didn't get conquered. As the only superpower we are devoid of any need for altruism.

And economies only boom during bubble periods too, when trillions of dollars are created out of thin air, so expect a long malaise, until something irrational seems rational again like tulips or stocks or cheap loans.

Buuuut it's Obama that is failing.

6 people like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

Maybe the vast majority of union workers. I find it hard to find anyone who likes what Obama has done and I work in a union facility. Most working people are against the ridiculous healthcare bill that was rammed down our throats. When people realize that their medical benefits will become taxable income starting next year then they will be even more against him. So far he has been a huge joke. He is making Bush look good and that is hard to do.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Four legs good
    Two legs bbbbeeeeettteeeerrrr"

Rocket River

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Will you please stop using the term "rammed down our throats" to refer to a bill that was passed by a majority in both houses of congress and within the rules of both houses? You may not like the bill, but the people that voted for it were popularly elected, and healthcare reform similar to what was passed was a major part of their party's platform. That's not a bill that's been "rammed down our throats."

1 person likes this.
  13. dback816

dback816 Member

I'm curious

Do the republicans have any idea who they'll send when Obama is up for re election ?

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

LBJ obliterated his legacy with Vietnam. (and all the deceptive stuff he did to even get us into Vietnam)

But yes he did a lot of great things too but getting us into a war in a manner that makes Bush's case for Iraq look honest means will kill your legacy.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

If the left wants to take their ball and go home because they think the electorate is too dumb, why stop them?

Let them watch The Daily Show and ridicule us all day in smug self-satisfaction, losing power all the while. I have no need to persuade an increasing minority. Especially when they resort to charges of bigotry against vast swaths of the populace, that's when you know the argument is lost. Let them go down in a blaze of insults and pouting.

Taxes are too high, regardless of income. It's immoral and stifles growth. Also, the Bush cuts affect all income tax rates.

You can be for workplace standards and against their imposition by force. Often a willingness to endure less safe conditions results in higher compensation (that's why it's called hazard pay). Each employee should have the right to decide what risks they want to take. And each employer should be able to decide what standards are necessary to attract a satisfactory work force. It's simply not true to say that standards would not exist if they aren't imposed. They can be contractually agreed to.

Fair is a loaded term. What's fair is what the insurer and insured agree upon. Otherwise the transaction would not occur.

Is it fair to have mandates imposed on me that increase my premiums?

The idea that controls/rules always result in positive outcomes requires that you abandon your faculties of reason. I can slap "reform" on a pile of poo and some would be in favor of it.

Freedom of speech allows you to condemn the building of a mosque, without forcibly preventing its construction.

Who is for discrimination based on race?

As for the gay marriage thing, marriage of any kind shouldn't be a public institution.

I love stuff like this, it's a great sign, hearing the like more and more in print and in public statements.

Insult the masses, proclaim it loud and proud, and enjoy the wilderness.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not yet. Give it another 6 months or at least until after the mid-terms. Then you will see them start to coalesce around 3 or 4 candidates. About the only thing for sure is it won't be Sarah Palin or Mike Huckabee. Of the legit candidates, check the money flow. Republicans don't like unproven, insurgent candidates. I bet they narrow it down to a couple of governors who have paid their dues. I wouldn't count out Romney, but he has some things going against him.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

This is America. The last time I checked we still have the right of free speech!!!

No I don't and a Majority of Americans agree with me according to the polls

A lot of them will be UNELECTED come November.

18. Major

Major Member

19. Steve_Francis_rules

You're right, this is America. You have the right to freedom of speech, even if it makes you sound like a dumbass.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

How in the hell could you even purport to know this.

I know it is an odd idea, but some people just disagree with you politically. That does not necessarily mean that they are frustrated or crazy or mentally defective in any other way. My father is a prime example. Being right of center politically is against his economic self interest. He has always stated that he believes it is better for the country, which is more important than himself. He is concerned about the overall betterment of the country for his children and his grandchildren.

Your endless explanation of people that think differently from you as frustrated or any other explanation for their beliefs that is steeped in some lack of rationality is very arrogant.

It is that arrogance that your political opponents are absolutely counting on.

So people who voted for Obama but no longer believe he is right for the job are somehow undisciplined? Yeah...that must be it.

Unbelievable.