1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Citizen's Militia - Threaten Jobs of Those who Criticize Dear Leader

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

Daily Kos diary by a "Tolerant Liberal" who threatened the job of an elderly cashier for voicing mild criticism of President Obama.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...-off-a-cashier-who-was-trashing-the-president

I stopped to pick up some groceries on the way home from work tonight. It had been cold and blustery most of the day and I work outside. I really just wanted to get home, peel off all the layers of clothing and crack a beer but I needed to pick up a few things including cat food.
    I stopped at Meijer which is a big box store; yes, I know. But Meijer is Michigan owned, is unionized and has a very respectable selection of organic produce as well as locally baked breads. Lately they've been expanding their gluten-free line of products too.
    I'm a very political person. I spend a lot of time here (although this is my first ever attempt at a diary), I read the Nation and Mother Jones, I listen to progressive talk in my truck all day at work and I keep up with the important events shaping our world. I hear and read Obama bashing every day and I try not to let it get to me. I just wasn't prepared for the anti-Obama diatribe I heard from the cashier as I was checking out.

The cashier was an older white woman and she looked like she'd had a hard life. I often feel bad when I see older people still working when, in a just society, they shouldn't have to. Obviously I don't know her story but there she was checking and bagging groceries, a job which keeps you on your feet for hours on end, at 8:30 on a Friday night.
    She started making small talk with the lady in line before me and out of the blue said,
    "Of course Obama says there's no inflation. I don't think the man has ever had to buy groceries in his life. He probably gets his employees to do it for him. You know, buy his arugula?"
    The lady in line made some sound of agreement which didn't come across as heartfelt to me. Maybe she agreed but didn't want to get into it, maybe she didn't agree but didn't want to get into it. Most likely she barely heard what the cashier was saying and just wanted to get home. I don't know. She paid and split.
    So the woman begins checking out my groceries (including the arugula) and starts in with me about "that man, that elitist" in the white house having "no idea" what it's like for regular people out here. On and on.
    My anger was building up to a boil; I mean, I just wanted to get home to that beer and who knows how many people before me had to hear this crap?
    So after I was all paid up and everything was in my cart I said to her,
    "I suggest you keep your political opinions to yourself when you're standing there because you never know who's standing here. I don't appreciate hearing my president trashed like that. That's all I'm going to say."
    Her eyes flashed with anger and realization that I must be one of "those people". She drew in a breath, about to say something and I said,
    "If you say one more ****ing thing I'll go find your manager and all three of us can discuss this."
    At that, she suddenly deflated. Now the look in her eyes was fear. She looked down and meekly mumbled "Ok. Sorry sir."
    I left then, proud of myself and still full of anger.

By the time I got to the car however I was starting to have mixed feelings. This lady was clearly a low information voter, concerned about rising prices and was only repeating something she heard Rush or Sean or whoever spout off about and I had just threatened her job. It's something I've never done before in my life and, well, it made me feel kind of ****ty. I will never be able to understand people who do that kind of thing for a living.
    I know around here people always say we progressives shouldn't be afraid to speak up
    and I'm glad I did. I just wonder if I went too far.
    I guess that kind of defines the liberal quandary in a nutshell doesn't it?

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I don't prefer this approach. Too brute.

A simple explanation of debt deflation theory, the Federal Reserve's policy errors from 1929-1933, Ben Bernanke's special policy position of having been an academic expert in that cycle while still being concerned about inflation to some degree, the separation of monetary policy from fiscal policy and excessive presidential influence, the new Keynesian consensus, how inflation is actually trending down, the difference between core and non-core inflation, a discussion of how Wall Street speculation trends that contribute to non-core inflation could be mitigated by CFTC regulation, and perhaps how if there was too much quantitative and qualitative easing (a point to which I have sympathy), it is at least somewhat explained by policy experts' fear of a liquidity trap and a lost Japanese decade...would have sufficed. All that, and perhaps there would have been no need for recourse to a paltry and detestable threat.

would I be part of Obama's Citizen Militia now?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So one liberal had a confrontation with one conservative cashier? That all?

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

It's the militia.

THE MILITIA.

they comin

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Funny how it's the Tennis Shoes of the world who are joining actual militias

That said, the "diarist" sounds like a douche. But a douche does not a militia make.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

DailyKos diary, are you effing kidding me? Anybody can log on start one, and don't pretend that something like customer telling a chatty cashier to not talk politics has never happened before. I've seen cashiers who had managers called on them for criticizing Bush back in the day. Employees are told to not talk politics with customers all the time at all kinds of stores.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

This is just as cool a story as the one where the conservative guy somehow sees someone pay with food stamps, then get into their Escalade and drive off.