1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oakley's thuggery continues

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by outlaw, Dec 1, 2000.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2000/1201/915823.html

TORONTO -- Toronto Raptors forward Charles Oakley was suspended for three games without pay and fined $15,000 by the NBA on Friday for punching Los Angeles Clippers guard Jeff McInnis during the morning shootaround.

"I saw Oakley coming out of the tunnel. He passed by Jeff McInnis, who was sitting on the bench, and socked him," Orange County Register reporter Art Thompson said. "Jeff tried two or three times to get back at him, but players and coaches held him back."

McInnis, who was waving a cup holder as was being held back, was not fined or suspended.

Oakley sat out Friday night's game against the Clippers, and also will miss games in Utah on Tuesday and Portland on Wednesday.

Los Angeles Clippers coach Alvin Gentry was satisfied with the suspension.

"It was a single hit," Gentry said. "I just saw the aftermath of it, so who knows. We're not talking about the most mature group of people in the world when you talk about pro athletes, so it could have been over anything.

"We talked to the guys and said we don't want ever to retaliate, which is tough to do in certain situations."

Oakley is averaging 7.9 points and 8.5 rebounds a game. The Raptors are already without star Vince Carter, who remains day-to-day with an injured tendon in his left knee.

Oakley wasn't allowed to attend Friday's game.

2. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

What the hell? What was the motivation there? "You're not old enough?" Why the hell would he do that?

------------------
    Jazzkiller

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

maybe he's on crack?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Didn't Tyrone Hill owe Oakley money, and Oakley decked him earlier in the season because he hadn't paid up?

------------------
    --------------
    Did you know?
    Derrick Chievous sucked.
    It's true.

-- from the ClutchCity.net "Did You Know" sidebar

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

YOu're kidding right ?

------------------
    "There are two players carrying the Rockets right now. Hakeem and Olajuwon." Isiah Thomas

6. jamma34

jamma34 Member

gr8-1 he really did deck tyrone hill

and the latest is, oakley is saying mcinnis made a death threat against him so he had to take matters into his own hands, irrelevent of what the league might do to him

------------------
    people who are related dont have to look alike. my mom and dad dont resemble each other at all

7. Miggidy Markell

Oakley reminds me of me when I was in 7th grade. I used to always start fights for practically nothing. Thanks for bringin back memories Oak! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

[This message has been edited by Miggidy Markell (edited December 04, 2000).]

8. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

Oakley is a dirty piece of sh*t. He is dirty on the court and off the court. I heard they were fighting over oakley's 3 toothed woman.
    I really hope oakley gets hurt for the year cause he makes me sick when i watch Toronto and I enjoy watching Carter, Davis and jackson but Oakley he is such a cheap shot b*stard. I heard he owns a car wash I hope it burns down.

------------------

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

Oakley is nutcase. I remember him elbowing Hakeem in the head at a game at Compaq, and Hakeem got ejected for retaliating

Did anyone see the highlights of the Toronto/Indiana game last night? Just before the end Austin Croshere decks Oakley with a hip & Shoulder after Oakley shot a 3. I've always like Croshere [​IMG] The ESPN announcer described Croshere as "having serious stones"

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Do you guys remember the fight where punches were thrown between Barkley and Oakley? Man, that's one fight I'd pay to watch. [​IMG]

------------------
    If you like larger booties, Domanique Sachsa would be on that list as well.
    --Jeff of SaveMeSomeBooty.com fame in the BBS Hangout forum (hope the man doesn't run for a political position - he's dead meat)