1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Puerto Rico Tries to Preserve Cockfighting Days Before Ban

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as a libertarian, I believe cockfighting should be legal--regulated, but legal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Puerto Rico Tries to Preserve Cockfighting Days Before Ban
    The governor signed legislation intended to sidestep a ban approved by Congress. The law is likely to end up in court.
    [​IMG]
    A cockfighting ban in Puerto Rico has drawn praise from animal rights activists and anger from some who consider the practice part of the island’s culture.Credit...Erika P. Rodriguez for The New York Times

By Patricia Mazzei
    Dec. 18, 2019

MIAMI — Cockfights can be wildly unpredictable affairs, and so it is with fights over cockfighting.

For Puerto Rico’s cockfighting enthusiasts, Dec. 20 has loomed as the day when a federal ban of the practice would take effect, forcing them to shut down their lucrative industry or drive it into the shadows.

On Wednesday, Gov. Wanda Vázquez of Puerto Rico promised a reprieve: She signed a bill that keeps cockfighting legal under the island’s laws, in defiance of the ban enacted last year by Congress and President Trump.

“What worries me most is abandoning these people,” Ms. Vázquez said during a signing ceremony about the families who rely on cockfighting to survive. “They don’t have work. They don’t have a livelihood. They can’t pay their bills or sustain their children.”

Some in the commonwealth had seen the federal ban as a violation of Puerto Ricans’ right to rule themselves and protect their cultural heritage.

Washington imposed the ban with little input from Puerto Rico, which had not seen any organized campaign against cockfighting. Members of the industry, in contrast, have marched several times on Puerto Rico’s Capitol, with roosters under their arms, to protest the prohibition.

The last-ditch attempt to save cockfighting comes after the industry failed to overturn the prohibition earlier this year. A federal judge in San Juan, the capital, upheld the ban in October, saying that Congress has the power to legislate over the island. The industry appealed the ruling this month.

“This latest legislative action is a showmanship effort by politicians,” said Wayne Pacelle, founder of Animal Wellness Action in Washington, which opposes cockfighting and is offering cash rewards of $2,500 to tipsters who help federal authorities enforce the ban. “They have no authority to subvert the federal government’s legislative action to forbid animal fighting.”

But left with no other options, members of the Puerto Rico Legislature did what they could do to at least buy the industry some time, said Representative Gabriel Rodríguez Aguiló, one of the bill’s co-authors. Like the governor, he is a member of the island’s ruling New Progressive Party, which supports Puerto Rican statehood.

“We are using all of the tools at our disposal in this case at the legislative level to ensure that the tradition and industry in Puerto Rico continue,” he said.

Lawmakers have asked Congress for a five-year period to wind down cockfighting. Ms. Vázquez, who announced this week that she would run for governor next year, called for “dialogue” with the federal authorities.

In the meantime, people like Hiram Figueroa, 70, who has raised and trained gamecocks since he was 16, said he was thrilled to have a respite of any sort.

“I hadn’t been sleeping,” he said. “I’m calmer now. We can keep playing the birds.”

Patricia Mazzei is the Miami bureau chief, covering Florida and Puerto Rico. Before joining The Times, she was the political writer for The Miami Herald. She was born and raised in Venezuela, and is bilingual in Spanish.
    @PatriciaMazzeiFacebook

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Obligatory.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why stop there? Let's bring back bear baiting and throwing Christians to lions.

Watching thing die is fun!

No Worries and FrontRunner like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the closer analogy would be sport hunting e.g., for deer. There really isn't a cultural tradition of throwing Christians to the lions that anyone is trying to protect in 2019

da_juice likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

or if you're looking for an example of a cultural practice that has ended and that people want to bring back, you might consider the Makah whale hunt in the Pacific Northwest

da_juice likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Apparently, one more reason why Libertarian-ism sucks.

7. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

In my experience, hunters frown on people who get excited at making and then watching the animals they hunt die slowly in as much pain as possible.

Maybe you know a different group of hunters that I do. Maybe if you know any hunters ask them about big game "canned hunts".

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Dog fighting is a more apt equivalent

Although chickens are pretty stoopid

I think it's still a thing.

Haven't heard about it much since Vick got in trouble.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the bullfight then

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and if you don't know Joyce Carol's book On Boxing, you really should take a look

11. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Down with ending that too.
    I'm down with **** fighting as long as we put boxing gloves over their talons, instead of razor blades and introduce the rest of the Marquis of Queensbury rules - which were introduced to limit boxing as a murder sport.

Also, lynching black people is a Southern cultural tradition with very deep roots. I have no doubt I can find a **** ton of people who view it as their cultural birthright and would jump at the chance of preserving their cultural roots if they thought they could get away with it. Hell, they've spent a hundred years practicing their traditions even in the face of very strict legal censure if caught practicing the preservation of their traditions.

Aren't you going to stand up for them?

#11 Ottomaton, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    No Worries likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They don't have to make it illegal but they do need to institute MMA style rules with little chicken gloves.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Add some sort of rubber thingy over their beaks and I’m down with it.

14. KingCheetah

Of course little mouth pieces that make them look like they have lips.

Ottomaton likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How else?

16. KingCheetah

Choking the chicken out would take on an entirely new meaning.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's a pretty remarkable comment

I don't even know where to start with the fallacies of relevance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

#17 Os Trigonum, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Congress should ban ****-fighting in the US, but that it shouldn't extend to Puerto Rico. It's up to the Puerto Ricans to move their culture and society to the 21st century. Just as Japanese had to struggle with whaling, I think Puerto Rico should be allowed to figure this out for itself.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Those crazy Japanese are into whale fighting?

Invisible Fan and JuanValdez like this.
  20. KingCheetah

Yeah it's called Whale Wars.

No Worries likes this.