1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT Marc Stein] In Defense of the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, May 14, 2019.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

No they didn’t the 22 game win streak got bounced in the first round.

The team that took the lakers to 7 was the yao artest rockets without Tmac.

That team was good and could have won had Yao not gone down in game 3, but they didn’t win 22 game straight.

The 22 streak rockets was the 08 team and Yao was lost for the season after the 10th win.

Fyreball, YOLO, lilbird20 and 2 others like this.
  2. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm not. D'Antoni is a nice guy and all and it's a shame that he'll never ring, but he had his chance this year and completely blew it. He completely choked Game 6 with his horrific decisions on minutes distribution.

We just wasted one of Harden's prime years with incompetent coaching and we can't continue this.

Being capped out, Morey will have to find different ways to improve the team, and coaching is a great way to do it since hiring a new coach doesn't count towards the cap.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah, free throw rates actually go up in the playoffs. people love this myth that refs stop calling fouls. it only goes down for james harden for some reason. i didn't look after the last few games, but at one point in our series, steph curry (who warriors fans will claim never gets calls) had a higher free throw rate in the 2019 playoffs than james harden. that's how drastically different james is treated.

i looked at the top 100 minutes guys in the playoffs, and the drop off in harden's free throw rate was the 82nd worst, and i believe westbrook was the only big name player with a bigger drop-off (and it was basically the same as harden's). i believe giannis' actually went up substantially, and it was already higher than harden's in the regular season. even accounting for the free throw prevention of the opponent, harden's drop was basically as bad as it gets (and the drop last year was much larger than this year). somehow, only james harden getting up-ended on 3's is where the refs just suddenly swallow the whistle.

also, i don't know why, but i feel like the magical 23 points curry scored in the 4th needs to be mentioned in the context that 8 of those points were free throws when the rockets were fouling on purpose in the last 30 seconds. he sucks all series, then has a 15 point 4th quarter and now we're supposed to act like it was the greatest quarter ever while harden with his 35/7/5 for the series is a playoff choker.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Sure enough, ESPN had the spin ready of how curry outscored the whole rockets team in the last 4 minutes or something. He made 2 shots and was gifted 8 freebies but hey, what good is context when you have so many sheep to herd.

5. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I'll take Rafer Alston, Chuck Hayes, Carl 'bullet hole' Landry, scola, Brooks over this bull shiet!

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Wow I know we’re all disappointed but this is a little much.

Those teams even with a healthy Yao or Tmac would never get to the 2nd round let alone a game 7 in the WCF against the best team maybe ever.

I think some of you keep forgetting that we’re losing to the demented team nobody can even win more than one game against and we’ve went to game 6 and 7 in b2b years.

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I’m proud of what James and the team has accomplished this year but bitterly disappointed in what could have been​

YaoMing#1 and Dark Rhino like this.
  8. Homey the Clown

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The Harden-era Rockets are looking like they will be mentioned in the same breath as the numerous 90's teams that couldn't get past Jordan and his Bulls. And another MVP in Harden who never won a title. Hopefully all that changes but it ain't looking good.

smp likes this.
  9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

People our window isnt closed. It's never closed when u have a top.5 player in his prime n only 30.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Worriers are better without Durant and you know it. Curry is one of, if not the most, efficient scorers of all time with unlimited range and with KD on the floor he takes way less shots. That makes them worse. Remove KD and suddenly the most efficient scorer or all time gets all the shots. Only chance anyone has is if Curry is injured and has an "off" night. Otherwise they gonna roll everybody until KD comes back.

smp likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Believe it or not, more people care about their opinion than yours, shocking I know.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Rockets are going down as chokesters and its a reality at this point.

Gerald Greene didn't register a slam dunk if I'm not mistaken.

Gordon doesn't play well when angry.

It s best to not count them out for next year.

#32 smoothie_king, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Only CERTAIN Whistles get swallowed
    The League is more HANDS ON with the Refs in the Playoffs

Rocket River

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t believe the team is better without Durant, but I do believe the offense can be way more explosive.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah it's a weird dynamic.

I definitely believe that when Durant is out of the game if Curry is on they are nearly unbeatable. His 3 point making ability is just soul stealing. He can't be guarded. It's really just a matter of whether he's on or not.

ipaman likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He can by KD and that was my point. KD playing big minutes as the #1 option makes them a worse team imo because nice guy Curry willfully (and mercifully) takes a backseat.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right I agree with you.

ipaman likes this.
  18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The blazers won last night's rebounding battle so blazers are actually positioned well after game 1 loss.

I don't expect looney and Bell to outperform harkless, kanter, and Collins for the entire series.

Playing through KD does not make them worst because bogut was scoreless in rockets game 6 and bogut has not made more than 4 points in the games since KD went down.

KD puts pressure on the other team's bigs pretty much every possession so it wears down their bigs over the course of seven game series IMO.

The clippers pretty much got one good game from montrez harrell and Lou Williams because of the pressure of guarding KD.

19. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

my face was sincerely burning for the last couple minutes of the game, just like i was supposed to give a graduation speech in front of everybody but i did not prepare, just standing there in front of everybody not able to utter a single word, i haven't felt like this ever in my life, the feeling of shame is so strong, i was not even able to talk to my wife about the game after it, since i told her that the rockets get this series since KD is down, they will finally go into the finals........

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

I was surprised with the outcome.

I was counting on rivers to step up, counting on green to hit big shots.

I was surprised at the lack of composure from cp3, and the cp3 offensive production was great but the arguing and distractions with the referees was a lost of focus for team as a whole.