1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] It's official: Hillary NOT running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

our long national nightmare is over :D

Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state and first lady who lost the White House to Donald J. Trump in 2016, said officially on Monday what has been unofficially clear for months: She is not running for president again in 2020.

“I’m not running,” Mrs. Clinton told a New York City television station, News 12. “But I’m going to keep on working and speaking and standing up for what I believe.”

Mrs. Clinton, the first woman to win a major-party nomination for president, remains a complicated figure for the Democratic Party as both a trailblazing female leader and also the candidate who was defeated by Mr. Trump.​

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/04/...ml?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

B-Bob, BruceAndre and Dark Rhino like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good. Let that Breed of politics take it's last breath.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ridiculous that folks (including a few experts in D&D) thought she would run...

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wish she would have decided this 4 years ago. Then we probably wouldn't have Trump.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

James Joyner at OTB speaks "fluent Clinton" and says there's still hope for all you Clinton fans out there:

Still, having paid rather close attention for the past 28 years, I speak Clinton rather fluently. She didn’t say “I’m not going to run” or “I categorically rule out a run” or anything of the kind. Rather, she said, “I’m not running.” That’s present tense. It’s conceivable that she would swoop in at the 11th hour if the current myriad crop of Democratic contenders turn out to be a disaster and offer herself as the party’s savior.​

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/hillary-clinton-says-im-not-running

6. NewRoxFan

Doubtful. Same republicans would have voted for trump if anyone else ran. Just like the same republicans (conservatives, "independents" and "libertarians" and whatever they call themselves) will vote for trump again this year, regardless of who runs as a Democrat.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. I think a lot of people who might vote for certain Democrats just had a huge negative opinion of Hillary and either didn't vote at all or didn't fill out the presidential ballot. There were more than enough people who didn't fill out a vote for President but voted for other races in Michigan alone to have surpassed the margin of Trump.

jcf and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

I guess I am much more cynical. I think lots of trump voters have since tried to defend their support by blaming Hillary and Democrats, but the reality is they voted for trump. They claimed "voted against Hillary" or "lesser of two evils" but trump easily beat out a list of better qualified and better republicans in the primaries (still blaming Hillary?).

And will vote for him again, regardless of which Democrat goes against him, despite knowing trump's criminal, ethical, moral, and integrity issues.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a more asinine take when you consider that Trump was one of seventeen GOP candidates chosen.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

JFC

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump will die then, right?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree about the people that voted for Trump. I just think that there are enough folks who didn't vote or left the President line blank to overcome that.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Or a few anti-Hillary folks who would have just stayed home.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Trump was the stray bullet fired from a drunk cholo on new years eve.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't hate Hillary Clinton, but it is time we've moved on. Glad she's not running.

As for this hypothetical in which she doesn't run in 2016, wouldn't the Republican character assassination machine have just targeted the other Democratic favorite so that Trump voters could say, "I didn't vote for Trump; I voted against Biden"?

NewRoxFan, fchowd0311 and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Hillary apparently "surprised" that people interpreted her announcement as final, and she seems to be walking it back a bit.

Speculation over a possible third presidential run from Hillary Clinton might not be dead after all.

The former secretary of state said in a Monday interview that she is "not running" for president in 2020, which seemed to put any rumors about another White House bid to rest once and for all. But The New York Times' Maggie Haberman now reports that Clinton actually "wasn't trying to be emphatic and close the door on running" and "was surprised by how definitively it played."

This is according to a source "close with Clinton," who told Haberman it's still "extremely unlikely" that Clinton will run again. But Clinton is reportedly "bothered" that people expect her to definitively rule out another bid and that she's "waiting at least to see the Mueller report" before she does so.​

https://theweek.com/speedreads/8274...wasnt-trying-close-door-running-2020-comments