1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Anthony and D’Antoni May Reunite, This Time for the Better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 19, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lock/merge if necessary.

Anthony and D’Antoni May Reunite, This Time for the Better

When they were last together, Mike D’Antoni imposed ball-sharing improvisation on Carmelo Anthony’s out-of-my-way isolation. The result was an unremitting plunge toward what was believed to be permanent separation.

And yet more than five years after D’Antoni resigned from the Knicks over his differences with the team’s star player, Anthony now wants New York to figure out how to trade him to the Houston Rockets, with whom D’Antoni has resurrected his reputation as an offensive mastermind, ahead of his time.

It helps that Anthony’s pal, Chris Paul, has joined the James Harden-led Rockets, while the Knicks are attaching figurative training wheels to their foreseeable future. But there is another implied facet of Anthony’s desire to reconnect with a coach he treated with absolute disdain in New York.

In his head or heart, and quite possibly both, Anthony has to by now know that D’Antoni was right.

“In New York, Melo and other people were averse to Mike’s offense because it was not only different but it was early different,” said Dan D’Antoni, who served as an assistant coach with the Knicks when his younger brother was in charge. “It was before Golden State, before it was settled that there was a new way to play in the N.B.A. But things change. The league changes. The game changes. Melo changes. Mike changes.”

On the phone recently from Myrtle Beach, S.C., where he scouted high school players in his role as the head coach at Marshall University, Dan D’Antoni added: “I don’t think Mike’s backed off at all on how the game should be played.”

In other words, for the sake of a reunion for which negotiations have at least temporarily stalled over what the Knicks would take back in a trade, Anthony would have to be the one making the modifications.

Obviously for the sake of his team and logically for the security of his body.

To that end, Dan D’Antoni would like us to know that he coined an enduring Anthony-inspired phrase while working for Mike in Phoenix, where he would remind the Suns before a game against Anthony’s Denver Nuggets: “Don’t let Melo play Bully Ball.”

That referred to the clear-out approach that made Anthony a lethal scoring force in Denver, where he utilized his size and strength to back his man into a preferred shooting area, and draw fouls and double teams. It was also a taxing style that has in recent years taken its toll on Anthony’s 33-year-old body, specifically his shoulders and knees.

According to Dan D’Antoni, easing the physical burden that Anthony had carried was part of his brother’s sales pitch when Anthony arrived in New York in early 2011. Better spacing, less stress. Anthony didn’t buy it. He chafed at the brief, but stunning, success D’Antoni had in handing the ball to Jeremy Lin when Anthony was injured in early 2012, and privately cheered D’Antoni’s departure soon after.

“Melo left Denver for New York thinking the old way of playing — give it to your best player, hold the ball, one on one,” Dan D’Antoni said, rehashing the now-deposed Phil Jackson’s ill-timed, but common, critiques of Anthony while he was the Knicks’ president. “But things were changing all around Melo. Bigger guys shooting 3’s, quick penetration, ball movement, to the point where it’s hard to even have one player on the floor that can’t score.”

Not to be overlooked, he said, in the rift that led to his brother’s resignation from the Knicks was the usual Madison Square Garden scourge, regardless of regime.

“It wasn’t all Melo — probably a little bit Mike, too,” he said. “But it was a lot more the unsettled situation from ownership on through. Melo came into an environment where there was no support for the coaches in ownership, no stability, and Melo got caught up in a position he took. He didn’t believe Mike’s way was right for him, but I think it fit him then and it fits him now. Isn’t that the way he’s played so well on the Olympic team?”

Who knows what might have resulted had Anthony embraced the D’Antoni way in New York, had the Knicks continued to herald the speedball wave the Warriors have ridden to double championship acclaim? Maybe Anthony doesn’t endure all the losing and lamentation of the last three years because Phil Jackson never happens in the first place. Maybe the Garden doesn’t become so toxic to free agents and Anthony’s reputation as a team player doesn’t pale compared to his standing as a spokesman on social ills.

Asked why his brother — the 2017 N.B.A. coach of the year — has reportedly been willing to reconnect with the man who, he publicly admitted this past season, forced him out in New York, Dan D’Antoni offered several reasons, all ringing true.

“Mike doesn’t hold grudges,” he said. “Our family is like that – we don’t dwell; the next day is going to be better. And Mike doesn’t think he has all the answers. I tell him sometimes he’s too self-deprecating. But he also knows Melo is a great player, and this time he’d be coming into a much more stable environment, more supporters than doubters.”

Translation: The Rockets are Harden’s team, with Paul certain to get his share of time with the ball, which means two great playmakers potentially making Anthony one of the great complementary scorers in N.B.A. history, defensive liabilities notwithstanding.

Should he become a Rocket man in Houston, his arrival in the Lone Star State will be an unambiguous admission, five years after the fact but better late than never: Isolation is for losers.

Pat, Deuce, waytookrzy079 and 20 others like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

...the failing ny times

kwakmeister, Fansince80 and xiki like this.
  3. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Kinda crazy NYT would take the time to write this article on a trade that hasn't even happened yet, and might never happen. You might even call it, "FAKE NEWS"

(but maybe it comes true? fingers crossed).

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

MOAR Melo threads. Making the GARM great again.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I first hated the idea of getting Carmelo but I have gotten talked into it. Even where I thought it was inevitable and I needed to get used to it.

I moved to the stage of actually wanting it to happen.
    And then to the stage of believing the Rockets needed it to happen.
    Next was the stage of expecting it to happen and checking online everyday waiting for the announcement.
    Now I'm expecting a let down and for it NOT to happen. All in a matter of a few weeks. Thanks Clutchfans.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

DESERVES its own thread.

I say hes here by august 18th

cbs1507 likes this.
  7. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Opinion piece not news so can't be called Fake News.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

so many Melo threads.... all good though. It's like a shot of coffee when you get drowsy.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Jr is pretty good at em but i preferred it when @Htowngenius maked a melo thread

Killatron 2000 and lionaire like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I say it happens August 19th

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

August 17th :cool:

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

Deja vu, thanks Les.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Anytime between now and august 18th so Im inclined to agree with you

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thanks @J.R. thats a good article, might have passed over it in one of the monster threads

Wasn't expecting it to be a lengthy interview of Dan D'Antoni. Good stuff, and fresh

Nah, you have to pick the day dude Not "by such and such". Like the cfnet girlfriend who's saying next Tuesday, like Wimpy in Popeye.

15. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Well we have 89 days until the actual regular season starts. He better get his ass here soon. Or things will be real melo.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Same here.

Although every time I read people say "Rockets have all the leverage because Melo will put and destroy that team, won't play hard, will ruin Porzingis by being a malcontent" I shudder and remember my initial fears about him reunited with D'Antoni.

No Chance likes this.
  17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

A team up for sale is a hell of a lot more stable than being firmly in the hands of JD & The Straight Shot's lead singer.

18. Daddy Long Legs

Alright ima man up and start flexing. Melo is here august 3rd

[​IMG]

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I was not a Melo fan in NY. He is such a ball stopper and doesn't make those better around him. Seems like he was not a "team guy" or leader.

Thinking about him on our team now, I feel like it would work. On our team we would not be initiating our offense through him on the wing or on the block (standing around watching him just dribble and survey his defender). He would be getting the ball after James or Chris has broken down the defense. At that point we would want him to go ahead and just score it. In those situations he would be getting the ball in positions to go 1/1 vs his defender with not much help because the defense would probably be caught in a rotation. In that situation he is still a top scorer in the league. He could get us buckets at those times when the offense has become stagnant or the defense is doubling James or Chris hard and taking the ball out of their hands. Unlike us relying on Pat, Ariza, or Ryan trying to create some offense off the dribble (that was ugly to watch at times). So I think he comes in with a different attitude and makes it work and puts his old differences aside with DAntoni. he would thrive in our offense and as they say, "wining cures a lot of problems".

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON