1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY's Alan Hahn] Is James Harden an entertaining player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you wonder why Harden gets skipped over by the "Hot Take" media, this is definitely one reason. I think there are many media members that share this opinion.

https://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/11/26/depleted-knicks-struggle-in-houston/

1. Is James Harden an entertaining player? After watching him closely in the two games the Rockets played against the Knicks this month, it’s not a question you can easily answer.

There are stars in this league who are virtuoso performers who are worth the price of admission. LeBron James, obviously. Russell Westbrook. Steph Curry, Kevin Durant and the Warriors. Kyrie Irving. John Wall. Damian Lillard.

Kristaps Porzingis has shown potential to become one of those types of players. Giannis Antetokounmpo, as well.

But is James Harden fun to watch? Is he a spectacle of basketball brilliance and amazing athleticism?

The one part of Harden’s game that makes your eyes widen is his three-point range. He can make them from 30 feet with little effort. But it’s the grinding, meandering style he employs — get you on his hip and then stop short so you run into him — is like watching one slow car cause a traffic jam.

He does offer some quick crossover and step-back moves and keeps his dribble impressively low so it’s practically impossible to steal. He’s very strong and has terrific body control. There’s no question he’s one of the most talented players in the game.

But the Eurosteps, the arm-grabs and the head-snaps and all the flailing…is that fun to watch? Is that entertaining?

It sure is effective. He certainly is a stat compiler and an MVP candidate. But after watching two games this month, I can name at least 10 players — maybe more — who I’d rather pay money to watch than him.

2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Who finds Eurosteps boring?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And that's why the Knicks haven't contended for a Championship in 20 years. Too worried about how entertaining the game is.

Kinda like Bob McNair and his vision of "Country, high moral" egg ball.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It is crazy how Harden could have 30 points in 3 quarters and you find yourself asking, "when/how did he do that'? Cause hes so damn efficient at times, stats just stack up for him without a blink of an eye.

Good viewpoint by the writer.

Lawlruschang and da_juice like this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I listen to the Open Floor podcast with Ben Golliver and Andrew Sharp religiously and they won't talk Rockets much because Andrew Sharp hates watching Harden play and is thus pretty uninformed about the Rockets.

Lawlruschang and DonKnock like this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You have to love these creative typists......I mean, sports "writers".

If he bothered to watch other games before pulling commentary out of his culo, then maybe he'd answer his own question with a begrudging, "OK, occasionally, yes, he does spectacular stuff. Actually he does a lot of spectacular stuff. I just don't like him because he makes my team look stupid."

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL

When you run out of fact based criticisms, just say his game isn't pretty.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not seeing as much flailing this year, but I missed a bunch of games (including the first Knicks game).

And a properly executed Eurostep is a beautiful basketball maneuver, so I question this guy's basketball taste.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This isn't a new take and definitely not a hot take. This has been a consensus criticism of Harden for a few years now and is a big part of why he is not an MVP darling. I've referenced this multiple times and it is why I don't share the strong optimism that @The Cat does with regards to his MVP chances.

A LOT of writers have a distaste for Harden, ranging from finding him "no fun" to an "outright offense to the spirit of the game." They hate the fouls (doesn't matter if Westbrook gets more or about the same, he does it by playing angry, Harden creates his fouls) and everything about his game that seems built around taking advantage of the rules. They think he, as an extension of Morey, is sort of "cheating the system" and that is held against him big time.

13. Drogba

Drogba Member

These esteemed writers also think Chris Paul is "boring" too.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

True. This is not a new take. I only posted this article to reinforce some of the sentiments of the outside media.

The "Harden Aesthetic" is a real thing.

D-rock, DonKnock and justtxyank like this.
  15. Wylo

Wylo Member

While this 'criticism' may have had some merit in the past, Harden has changed his play style quite a bit over the years. I don't see much of head-snapping, flailing thing these days, and more amazing passes and long-range three point shots. In short, yes Harden is pretty entertaining to watch the same way Manu Ginobili is entertaining to watch. You just need to look a little deeper than "can this player dunk like Russell Westbrook?" I also think new NBA fans appreciate Harden's game more than the ones who know him from the past, and still have these lingering negative stereotypes about him.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

how is this considered an article, literally negative substance

Most posts on clutchfans has more thought put into it.

Hurr Harden good, but me no like he do da Eurostep

DonKnock likes this.
  17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Watching a car wreck happen is the equivalent of watching Westbrook for entertainment.

AXG, Air Canada, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not just about Harden. A lot this is the backlash against Morey taken out on Harden. Media in general, across sports, fights back against analytics. It may be hard to remember this now, but Billy Beane was mocked for years in baseball. Hell the Astros were trashed repeatedly by the CHRONICLE for acting like they were "smarter than the old way." That Jesus de Jesus guy treated them like trash.

The Rockets have that even worse because basketball is much more anti-NERDZ than baseball. Harden was crowned as the ultimate Morey played and therefore got heat just for that.

With all that said, Harden did build up like 3 years of playing for a foul cache. We used to criticize him for it here. Not finishing, instead trying to get fouled so he could get the shots. It was smart, but it was frustrating, particularly when he didn't get the foul calls.

Lawlruschang, da_juice and DonKnock like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Hardens game is AWESOME looking, minus the turnovers

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Probably someone who enjoyed watching Melo brick shot after shot for 6/7 years