1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

I've been saying this, and I don't even think it will be a sign and trade.

Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin won't be hard to trade this summer.

2. NotChandlerParsons

Not surprised at all about this, but keep in mind with the new CBA, he has to take a paycut to come here, even if we do a sign and trade (which we will have to).

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wouldn't it be perfect for Morey?

I'm actually really in favor for Melo because he could go toe2toe with Durant. Can't guard Durant...but he's going to force Durant to guard him...and lets face it...Dwight is a poor 2nd option...

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Parsons,Lin,Asik,1st round pick?

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

We can keep Parsons in this scenario. We would need to move Asik and Lin in a Golden State-esque fire-sale. We might have to include a first for Lin, but I'm willing to bet a team like Philadelphia would love to get their hands on Omer at a discounted price if it means possibly flipping him at the deadline to a contender for higher value. It really wouldn't be that hard.

6. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

People who are saying we would be worse defensively hasn't seen Parsons or Jones defend this season.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Lin is way too good a first banana to tank the Knicks into the lottery. They would easily make the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  8. torocan

torocan Member

If you lose Asik, by definition you're worse defensively.

9. deshen

deshen Member

Even Carmelo wants to leave NY, Knicks would need to get either Howard or Harden in return. It is hard to image that Phil Jackson wants to rebuild in the first a few years in NY.

10. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Melo is a way better post defender then Jones and for the 12 minutes we lose from Asik someone is going to have to step up anyways, because he wont be here long term.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Why would they need to get either of those? The Rockets don't need the Knicks help to get him. He's going to be an FA. They can trade Lin, Asik, etc. elsewhere to clear cap room. It's up to Melo more than anything else.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

the annual Caramel show

13. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Why stop there? Go get Rondo as well.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to be clear, I've heard this rumor before... I mean to the tee. I sort of accidentally found out that they made a push at the deadline for him, but the summer pursuit was strong speculation. It makes sense. It's all based on if he tells the Knicks he's gone and if he's OK with or wants Houston. It's a longshot, but I could see Morey doing that. They can't wait until the summer of 2015 to add another significant player.

I'm guessing Carmelo is more to give you the ultimate smallball lineup. Also, as someone told me, take a look at how good Carmelo Anthony is on teams (ASG, Olympics) when he's not the first/primary option.

It's kind of premature to talk about right now, but who knows... maybe we'll have to get this image out again.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I guess Houston could get Melo for Lin/Asik/D-Mo and Jones among other variations. I just can't imagine how Melo, Harden and Howard would get along.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Like I said the first time this came up, Melo would be a solid plan B but he's not that compatible with Harden.

Kevin Love should still be our Plan A because a true stretch 4 that can rebound is the missing piece to a championship. Love is much younger and may not have even peaked yet.

17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

18. Man

Man Contributing Member

I haven't been following Melo closely. Where else is he interested in going, and who else has viable assets to move for him?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

At some point, I hope we can stop with the "Are we better with (insert star player) instead of (insert list of role players)" discussion. First did we give up too much for Harden? Then whether Dwight's a cancer? And now whether Melo messes up or defense.

Melo's a top-10 player(at worst top-15). Yes, having him is good. VERY GOOD. Not 1, not 2, not 3... Good. I don't think he's coming. But we would literally be the next Heat if we get him.

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Even though he's been playing below par the past few games, I really hope we hold onto Parsons with the rest of our core.

I'm down for trading Asik/Lin though.