1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYCforLeBron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BroadwayBelm, Mar 23, 2008.

1. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

http://www.nycforlebron.com/

2. snc

snc Member

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

3. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

LeBron doesn't need a gift basket like that. The Yankees will GIVE him a suite anytime, guaranteed. A Ferrari might as well be a Scion to LeBron James. I think he's interested in winning, and there will be none of that in New York pertaining to the Knicks.

He will get the max next season (obviously) no matter where he goes. He's not going to some scrubby team over a Ferrari, a NYY suite, Gloria James tickets, and some additional bank.

Good effort though. I wonder who's in charge.

4. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

pathetic even for New York fans

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can say that, and right now, there's obviously no disagreeing with it. But it doesn't take good GM's long to turn a franchise around. See Bryan Colangelo in Toronto. A good GM would have an even easier time turning around the Knicks, because James Dolan doesn't seem to give a damn about the luxury tax. And New York is arguably the most desirable destination for free agents. There is certainly no larger stage or spotlight.

Of course, if they're going to turn that team around it's absolutely imperative that they hire a new GM now. By 09/10, Marbury & Malik Rose are off the books . Zach Randolph is an expiring contract in 10/11 and Jared Jeffries expires in 09/10 (which, coupled with draft picks would work in a sign and trade for Lebron). Quention Richardson, Jamal Crawford and Jerome James have a player option for 09/10 (Richardson's option is for two seasons). Eddie Curry has an option for 09/10 and 10/11.

In short, their guaranteed 08/09 payroll of over 90 million dollars plummets to 58 million in 09/10 and 28 million in 10/11.

And just today there was a rumor on ESPN that Jerry West is interested in taking the GM job in New York. That's the kind of move they need to work out, because these next few years are key if they intend to turn that franchise around. It's absolutely essential that they don't take on any more bad long term contracts.

If they do get a new (and talented) GM, I see absolutely no reason they can't turn that franchise around and be competitive when Lebron James hits the free agent market. Hell, look at what happened in Boston from last season to this season? Sometimes a few good moves is all it takes.

p.s. Poor New York has to put up with a salary cap in basketball so the Knicks can't just outright by championships like the Yankees. :(

6. spysta

spysta Member

Lebron James' CAREER AGENDA

1. Win championships (Will win his first either this year or next year)

2. Become a GLOBAL ICON (On his way there and NEW YORK is the biggest stage in the world, sounds like the place to do it to me)

3. Become the first Billionaire Athlete (It is possible if your name is KING JAMES)

4. Finish career as the best player to ever pick up a basketball (barring injury it is very much possible)

All in all its not far fetched that he will go to new york, I think NY needs to start now clearing space for 2010 when lebron becomes a free agent. He might not even require a max contract, im sure he will want the organization to put good players around him rather than pull a KG and make record money and have the mark madsens of the world as teamates.

All hail King James!!! lol

7. ShadyMcGrady

LeBron James is not winning a championship in the next two seasons, spysta. If he can even get through Detroit and Boston in the East, he'll face some tough competition from the West.

Global icon is difficult but easily within his range, billionaire athlete is even more difficult, he would need some amazing opportunity (knowing Jay-Z helps).

He's far from being the best ever to pick up a basketball. I assume you're talking about Jordan. LeBron will need MVPs, Championships, and DPOYs aplenty to chage for that title.

Anyways, why would he go to the Knicks in the first place? Wasn't this whole NYC thing because of the Nets moving to Brooklyn and LeBron getting wooed in by Jay-Z to play there with Devin Harris???

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

New York doesn't need to bother with gifts. Nike already put a loopy in his contract. Big market=pay raise.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well let's see:

1. Assuming they get a new GM and go in a healthier direction, he should have a better chance of winning a championship in New York. Dolan seems to have no problem in doubling the salary cap figures. As such, they ought be able to put the talent around Lebron that he needs to succeed.

2. If he wants to be a global icon, it's a bit easier to accomplish that from the greatest city in the world. If you want the spotlight, you play in New York or Los Angeles, and Lebron isn't about to share the spotlight with Kobe.

3. If he wants to become the first billionaire athlete, he'll need endorsements galore. The more media attention and hype you get, the more desirable you become to companies and the more money you command in endorsements. It is more than safe to say companies like Nike would MUCH rather he play in the biggest market in professional sports than a small market like Cleveland.

4. If he wants to be known as the greatest ever, he does need to accomplish quite a bit more. Part of that figures into my first point, but it's also true that for much of their careers Patrick Ewing was considered a better center than Hakeem Olajuwon. Why? Because Ewing played for New York. More exposure. Plain and simple. Hype and exposure play a bigger part in achieving that kind of title than you'd think. But again, I think the payroll they'll commit to in NY should lead to him winning titles - which should in turn lead to him winning MVP's and other accolades. All of which will contribute to his shot as going down in history as the greatest ever.

5. As for why would he go to New York in the first place - see reasons 1-4, but also consider that the year he becomes a free agent New York is scheduled to be under the cap. Many think they are intentionally positioning themselves to be in the free agent race for Lebron. The Brooklyn Nets might also be a possibility, but I think what you're failing to recognize is that the Nets can't have the allure of the Knicks - just as the Clippers don't have the allure of the Lakers and the Mets don't have the allure of the Yankees. The Market is part of it, but tradition and name recognition is another.

I don't know why you think it's so unrealistic that Lebron would end up a Knick, but personally, I think it's the most likely scenario. The only possible way I can see him staying in Cleveland is if they are winning titles by the time he's a free agent.

10. ShadyMcGrady

I never said he can't become a Knick, and I don't disagree with your points, NY is easily the biggest market in the world (yes, bigger than LA). I do agree that being marketed that much has a lot to do with winning the title of GOAT and current accolades like MVP, etc.

I am firm that LeBron can't win a title in two years, but i'm almost sure he'll get more than one before he's done.

And my question was, LeBron is ending up in NY most likely, but I thought it was as a Net because of his connection to Jay-Z and the fact they are moving to Brooklyn.

That's what I am wondering about.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

everyone seems to overlook his close relationship with Jay-Z.
    Lebron is a perfect candidate for the Brooklyn Nets with their brand new arena in 2010.

12. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

LOLOLOLOL somebody has been watching too many commercials

if he wins a championship in the next 2 years i will give you my soul

he is on the third best team in the EAST

13. spysta

spysta Member

I WILL HOLD YOU TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1ST ROUND RAPS OR WIZ
    2ND ROUND HE ASSUALTS GARNETT AND ALLEN AND PIERCE
    3RD ROUND HE GOES CRAZY AGAINST THE PISTONS AGAIN

IF THE SPURS DONT COME OUT OF THE WEST

ITS FAIR GAME

LAKERS VS CAVS WOULD BE THE MOST EPIC SERIES OF THE LAST DECADE

LEBRON IN 7 AGAINST THE LAKERS

14. pchan

pchan Member

NYC needs to offer Isiah's head for Lebron to show him their determination to build a winning team.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

He's definitely not winnin no stinkin championship next year b/c the Houston Rockets already are :mad:

16. conquistador#11

When Is lebron releasing his new look to the public ?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Typing in caps is only reserved for Satan.

18. spysta

spysta Member

what an odd comment, and quite disturbing

19. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Lebron has ZERO chance of winning a title this year...and if he keeps this same team next year he doesn't have a chance either...NO WAY

20. spysta

spysta Member

Based on what? Its hard too say the Eastern Conference Champs have Zero chance of doing anything Especially when they have arguably the best player on the face of the earth (or the co best player)

GAME 5 people GAME 5 two players that are just plain stupid to bet against:

Lebron James and Kobe Bryant