1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] Newly poor swell lines at food banks nationwide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sabirk, Feb 19, 2009.

1. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

link

Am I the only one a bit disturbed by this article? $55,000 a year and visiting a food bank? One lady's son eats 24/7 so she has to go to supplement food? Come on people. How about learning about sacrifice or going without for once. Leave the food for those who are truly hungry or desperate.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The article mentions that the average salary in that county (Morris) is ~82k.

Cost of living there is much much higher than in Houston.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Food banks don't usually check or just give a cursory check. And some people will do anything like this. I know a guy who makes six figures as a contractor, but because he can write off so much, he gets food stamps. (He does crap like buy a full set of new tools for a job, claim that as a business cost, and then sell his set of tools from the last job without reporting.) I think it's scummy, but it's not uncommon. Heck, everyone has seen someone bring their groceries bought with food stamps to their brand new SUV.

That being said, I'm a regular food bank donor and occasional food bank volunteer, I've gotten a lot more calls for help recently with high demand because of recent layoffs.

4. insane man

insane man Member

actually i haven't ever seen this.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Really? You don't pay attention to the payment methods of the people ahead of you? And then stalk them till they leave the premises?

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Never. I don't associate with 6-figure contractors on food stamps. They are not my type of people.

7. insane man

insane man Member

i mean admittedly when i see people getting into SUVs i give them dirty looks and assume they are of morally suspect character...

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No I'm sure there are a lot of young conservative/libertarian types who also blame these folks.

#8 glynch, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  9. BetterThanEver

There's a new program at food banks.

You go to the doctor and get implanted with 8 embryos.

[​IMG]

It works for men, too.
    [​IMG]

10. BetterThanEver

11. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Oh god, please put that in as a spoiler, :eek: reminds me of the Aliens film.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'll tell you...I have serious doubts about donating to food banks again if this is what is happening at them. The people who really need the food are being supplanted by people who only need the food because they want to use their income elsewhere and could actually make it work without taking food from a food bank. This kind of sh_t really pisses me off. There is a whole breed of people in this country who are "takers"...and they are the ones who get us in these messes. They should not be rewarded for bad behavior. If the food banks need to tighten down who they donate food to...even at the cost of embarrassing the ones who need real food, then I'm all for it. Anyone should not just be able to walk into a food bank and walk out with food. I bet if you followed some of these people after they got in their SUVs...you could follow them back to a pretty nice home as well. Oh...well...they wouldn't be able to afford said home unless they took food from the food bank so they could shift their money to other expenses. It's a bunch of bullsh_t in my book.

Give someone an inch...and they will take a foot. Everything needs to be accounted for, and regulated, in this country. The abusers will screw the responsible ones every time if not.

#12 Surfguy, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009