1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Lin Does a Lot by Not Doing Too Much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

But I've seen it a LOT on this forum. Applies to McHale as well IMO.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Lin takes 10.7 FGA/G and 3.2 FTA/G putting him at about 13.9 combined.

Did a player search on bballreference for players shooting no more than 12 FGA/G and no more than 4 FTA/G. Combined putting them at 16.

With these restraints it still puts Lin at 8th in TOV%

For the amount of "plays" he has he turns the ball over a lot. Period.

Are all his turnovers bad, no. Do they still count as turnovers, yes.

3. Stash Musial

Stash Musial Member

Change? Sure, how about 2 elite talents increasing each other's efficiency. Both shoot a higher percentage and make up for the 7 extra shots Irving takes a game.

I have already said I dont dislike Lin. Lins basketball talent is not as good as Irvings. Not on this team. Not on any team. Never.

4. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I never said you didn't like Lin at all.

Saying Irving is better than Lin is not shocking to me. Irving according to many is destined to become a future Hall of Fame player. He does have to work on his defense and pass more though. Either that or Cleveland should look for a point guard to complement him. Right now he's playing more like a shooting guard which is not the greatest thing for the rest of the team. He should follow LeBron's example.

5. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Lin's TO% is "high" according to this formula in large part because he turns down so many shots. It is not high in terms of the percentage of "plays" because the statistics do not capture plays. He could have twenty possessions where he dribbles the ball, passes it around, gets 5 assists, doesn't shoot, have 1 turnover, and his turnover "percentage" according to this formula for those twenty possessions would be infinite. If Toney Douglas touches the ball on twenty possessions, chucks up ten shots, turns it over 5 times, he ends up with a far lower TO "percentage" than Lin.

My feeling is that you are trying to judge Lin fairly, but this statistic to which you point does not at all measure at all what you think it does.

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Actually, the more you shoot, the less TOs you get. Because the ball goes up! See Raymond Felton.

7. hahachui

hahachui Member

I should tell my boss I am doing a lot by not doing too much

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Some times I just wonder if Lin, a Harvard grad, has ever been concerned that this turnover percentage and some other ratios like usage rate are actually working against him if he doesn't shoot more, especially under the offensive "system" of this team, he would have less assists also because Harden and Parsons and even Delfino sometimes are doing that.

9. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I'm sure he does, but what can he do....he's not a max player. He's been saying this a few times of fitting into the system.

10. Fighton

Fighton Member

i'm sure he's aware, and i'm also sure he's not concerned.

i really doubt that he cares about his numbers. he just wants to help the team win. if someone else has a better shot, he'll give the ball to him. how do i know this? remember that spurs game where he went off for 38 points and lost? he looked like a man that just scored 2 points and lost the game in that interview.