1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY TIMES] I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 5, 2018.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Normally I’d agree with you but I think in this case it’s written more like it’s coming from someone like Pompeo, Haley, or Pence. Someone who is loyal to the GOP over Trump for sure.

If it was written by Trump posing as a deep state democrat, the language wouldn’t be so flattering to a right wing agenda.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

While I am not in any way, shape, or form surprised by the revelations in this article (or the Woodward book...or even the Omarosa book) this is not a good precedent. I don't like the idea of officials who were not elected performing in this manner. The writer didn't mention anything trump is doing being illegal. It's merely concern for his mental well being (or lack thereof) and his ability to process even basic simple information (or lack thereof). Those are frightening observations...but not illegal.

It's disturbing because it's confirming much of what may of us already assumed. It's disturbing because what's to prevent some republican operative from doing the same thing in the next Democrat-run administration? What's to prevent trump from firing everyone he's allowed to fire because he can't trust any of them, while bringing in a new batch that would make Stephen Miller look like an even bigger p***y?

I am not saying the NYT shouldn't have published it. If it's confirmed information, they have every right to. It's newsworthy. That doesn't mean that it doesn't set a terrible precedent and could possibly cause more damage that the writer might think they are trying to prevent.

#82 leroy, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    calurker and Nook like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So when Trump's behavior validates what his most fervent critics say about him, your explanation isn't that the critics are right but rather that it is all a ploy by Trump to make his critics think that they are right. Oh boy.

That's unnecessarily convoluted, don't you think? Isn't the simpler explanation that Trump is who we all thought he was during his campaign? And all the crazy nonsense he campaigned on and has said or tweeted publicly over and over is pretty much an accurate picture of who he is, and the more sensible people among his staff have realized that he should never have been entrusted with the power of his office?

finalsbound, JumpMan, foh and 6 others like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I find it extremely hard to believe that trump is behind this. He has demonstrated an ego larger than the cosmo. If it is him, he has a great gift of portraying a faux view of himself since he has been known.

foh likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Althouse with the media conspiracy theory

September 6, 2018
    If I didn't maintain rudimentary trust in the basic integrity of The New York Times...

... I would think that there is no real person behind the famous anonymous op-ed. I'd think it was a concocted composite based on the Woodward book and motivated by the Woodward book. Look how that little thrown together collection of paragraphs is now drawing more attention than the book Woodward labored over, which dominated headlines on Tuesday. Wednesday, this column comes out. What is in the column that couldn't have been extracted from the book and worked up into an op-ed purporting to be from a senior official in the White House?

That's just a conspiracy theory. I couldn't help thinking it, but I don't believe it's true, because I think the NYT has too much of a stake in at least the appearance of journalistic integrity. I do think that the real senior official who wrote the op-ed felt stimulated by the Woodward book, maybe thinks it's a good idea to add momentum to the various stop-Trump efforts, and is perhaps close to resigning and hoping to depart into the open arms of the Trump-hating elite.

Posted by Ann Althouse at 6:42 AM

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2018/09/if-i-didnt-maintain-rudimentary-trust.html

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good piece by Harsanyi in The Federalist. "Whoever it is, if he really wanted the administration to 'succeed,' as Anonymous claims, there was no conceivable upside to writing this op-ed. It’s just sabotage. If Anonymous really believes the president is a threat to the republic, he should quit. No one is forcing him to work for the government. But if he wants to make policy, or thinks Trump should be impeached over his temperament, Anonymous should reveal himself and run for office." pretty much this.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/09/06/new-york-times-anonymous-op-ed-pushes-electoral-sabotage/

calurker, pgabriel and jcf like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect the insider are these guys:
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to see this somewhat. We now have pretty reliable information of hiding document from Trump. Quite sophisticated deep state operation.

foh likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ahh, the old 54xD chess theory. stick a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger to own the libs strategy.

You dimwits need to chill on the hallucinogens.

Xenon likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

someone with tremendous self-regard and a Last Honest Man complex that feels they must exercise power to save the country

11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'm talking about the person who's admittedly trying to subvert a democratically elected president.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You sure? Because it would make sense that the overwhelming evidence that our president is grossly unfit would convince even the most simple minded that he should quit.

Deckard likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Except he wrote that he is one among many, so “last honest man” doesn’t really apply.

15. NewRoxFan

The person that wrote the editorial mentions a top official in the admin that talked with him about a meeting with trump:

So there is at least one other admin official that complains, and that person also knows (1) who they talked with and (2) who wrote the op-ed.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The guy ran a billionaire dollar organisation. What you call crazy nonsense campaigning he would call WINNING.

i promise he isnt going to press the button. Everyone relax

On the winning, despite being a spoiled rich billionaire, he won fair and square beating the establishment in both parties? He did it by using the internet effectively.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its just someone preemptively trying to save their ass in case

18. NewRoxFan

Wouldn't it be funny if trump did have the op-ed written so he could do a roll call of who supports him?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know how I feel about the op-ed. Don't get me wrong: I'm no Trump fan (surprise!) Trump is unstable, petty, and vindictive enough without this to further rattle his paranoia. And talk about further undermining our credibility around the world and giving other leaders an opening (okay, maybe it's too late to repair all that).

But it pretty much tells us what is suspected of Trump. I could have gone along with any number of Republican candidates and we wind up with "Celebrity Apprentice." It just gets scarier as time goes on.

pgabriel likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wouldn't call him unstable but other than that your post represents my sentiments for the most part

Given the education and current level of values of our country, is it really surprising we have a reality star for president

I mean network television is full of reality shows

Cold Hard and ROXTXIA like this.