1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY TIMES] I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 5, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The "official" wh response:

3. B-Bob

Well... at least that wasn't creepy.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually might be a great strategy for the Republicans to campaign for the mid terms. Side line him during the most pivotal month of campaigning so he can’t do anything insane.

Of course that wouldn’t work and he’d be going off the rails on foxNews and Twitter but an entertaining idea and tells you that folks inside the Whitehouse might not even know that much about the 25th amendment.

da_juice likes this.
  5. biina

biina Member

The only take away is that these GOPers have no patriotism in them but are simply self and party serving coward.

If Trump is as bad as they all claim (and all evidence says he is), working with him and keeping him in office can only to be to push your personal and/or party agenda, at the expense of and risk to everything else. There is no patriotism in such.

Guess to the GOP, the ends justifies the means.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. B-Bob

Well, to some of their at least partial credit: they don't know what to do. A large part of the country doesn't care and even seems to get giddy the worse 45 gets. Staffers know a completely vindictive and (currently very) powerful person would stop it nothing to destroy them if they spoke out with their name attached. I think people in there are scared of him. That's how he's always run his shop and it's (I assume) a big reason Woodward's book is called Fear.

It doesn't excuse signing on with the guy -- don't get me wrong -- but they're not necessarily the anti-patriots you describe. I feel like, with my current age, I've learned it's easier to call people cowards if you haven't been in their shoes. (Not saying you used the term cowards, but it's flying around, understandably.)

da_juice and JeffB like this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Interesting..........the WH didn't come out and immediately claim this to be false. One possible reason for the writer to submit this (other than to possibly sleep better at night) is this will probably make Trump think twice about his revolving door. Is the next person he fires going to come out say, "I wrote this.......and so and so, and so and so, and so and so were all on board with me."

da_juice and heypartner like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

10. NewRoxFan

Yes... in fact, they end the official statement telling the person to resign. Also it seems that the NYT would not publish such an editorial unless the person they were talking to was pretty high in the administration.

Interesting timing, and I am sure just a coincidence, but reports came out yesterday that General Mattis would be leaving the admin at some point.

11. B-Bob

If that was really his understanding, he had a job to do, and he skipped it because it was hard or inconvenient.

ghettocheeze, foh, JeffB and 3 others like this.
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don’t care that these administrators are acting on what they think is the country’s behalf. Thwarting a sitting president’s rule because you think he’s senile is not a way to govern. They are horrible people, and history will not recognize their acts so favorably. Everybody knows what the right thing to do is here.

Republicans can still have their rule, but Trump cannot be in power.

da_juice, calurker and Nook like this.
  13. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

If only Corker knew an elected official in a position to do something about this.

14. Nook

Nook Member

No, but I also didn’t think we would have a President that has documents stolen off his desk so they won’t be signed into law.

The allegations in this article are very serious and call into question whether the President is fit to rule, and the allegations are by someone in his own administration.

I said “how do we know” partially tongue in cheek.

15. NewRoxFan

Correct... congress has been negligent in performing their duties and role as equal

https://www.house.gov/the-house-explained/branches-of-government

da_juice, B-Bob and Rashmon like this.
  16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The tinfoil hat wearing, super cynical part of me wonders if Trump put someone up to this as part of his latest distraction.

da_juice, Papa John and calurker like this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I saw some FB conspiracy theorists say this was all part of a Mike Pence plan...theorizing that if you looked at some of the things he did in and to Indiana, it would all make sense. A real House of Cards...

da_juice likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I knew this was happening from day 1, this is why I used all of the power of my office and station that the good and merciful Lord our God has graced me with to stop it:

a few random tweets and some off- and even on-the-record remarks to the Hill press corps

It was a difficult sacrifice, but I made my choice and I live with it.

- Robert Corker

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like the Washington Post is pissed that the NY Times got this story and they didn't . . . sour grapes opinion piece by the Post's media editor. "Like most anonymous quotes and tracts, this one is a PR stunt. . . . In an appearance on Wednesday afternoon, the president pronounced it all a 'gutless' exercise. No argument here."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...in-an-anonymous-op-ed/?utm_term=.c711b8b539d5

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're wrong of course.

Negligence implies a lesser degree of culpability and a lack of action.

McConnell and Ryan have actively accommodated the very worst collaborators by actively suppressing efforts to address this national crisis.

That's not negligence, that's intent.

Charitably - negligence or recklessness can maybe be imputed to, RIP, John McCain, who calculated that disinviting Trump to his funeral was a sufficient action.

With all due respect- it is not, regardless of party.