1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[NY Times] Hillary Clinton (I paraphrase) hates immigrants!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

either that or she is a racist . . . am I doing this right? :D

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/world/europe/hillary-clinton-migration-populism-europe.html

interesting how the online article title is different than that of the print version. ;)

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

European national leaders must curtail immigration in order to avoid Soviet-style dictatorship by the EU.

We see this happening with the EU’s battle against Poland’s self-determination. Must be fun for all those Poles to relive the good ole Soviet days.

Nationalism defeated the USSR — it will defeat the EU.

#2 Cohete Rojo, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with her that knuckle-draggers and mouthbreathers are easily triggered by brown people moving in next door, and that the triggered Cro-Magnon is the greatest threat to liberal democracy.

#3 Ottomaton, Nov 23, 2018
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I like the freedom of your style of paraphrasing, here a judge agrees that trump is guilty if financial crimes...

FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

stick to the thread topic ;)

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better tread title would be:

"Clinton advocating giving into the fear of immigrants the right is arousing in order to stop their movement"

But you are the master of misleading with bogus thread titles so I guess the one you wrote suits you!

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that would be no fun though

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well at least you can admit to trolling.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I thought that was the whole point of the D&D

[​IMG]

#9 Os Trigonum, Nov 23, 2018
  10. dmoneybangbang

Lol. I love it when folks admit how ignorant and weak they are. Go back to the GARM.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Do you really think trolls are happy people? I think you're better than that. Sure, it's fun to get a rise out of people for a bit and believe me, I have done my share over the years, but after a while, it is a bit pathetic

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Clinton apparently has confused people on all sides of the issue:

Mrs. Clinton’s remarks to The Guardian drew criticism and a dose of surprise from an array of scholars, pro-immigration advocates and pundits on both the left and right, some of whom were so perplexed by the comments that they wondered aloud whether Mrs. Clinton had perhaps misspoken. Mrs. Clinton, many said, has a long history of supporting refugees — a track record seemingly at odds with her recent remarks. Her immigration platform in the 2016 presidential election boasted that “we embrace immigrants, not denigrate them.”

A spokesman for Mrs. Clinton did not immediately reply to an email seeking comment on Thursday night.

“I was kind of shocked,” Eskinder Negash, the president and chief executive of the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, said of Mrs. Clinton’s comments. “If she’s simply saying you need to cut down on refugees coming to Europe to ask for asylum because they have a well-founded fear of persecution, just to appease some right-wing political leaders, it’s just not the right thing to do.”

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well, there's stupid trolling, kind of done for its own sake and which I agree is mostly boring. and then there's "trolling" (you word), which is provocative in the good sense of the term, meaning 'to provoke'. Provocation is related to teaching, and particularly to effective teaching.

jcf likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

how do Clinton's appeals about the social "perils" of immigration differ from others' appeals about social perils of immigration? I take it this is why Clinton's remarks have people on both sides "confused," if that's the right word for it.

In the United States, President Trump has mobilized his base of supporters by focusing on what he calls the perils of immigration. He spoke frequently before the midterm elections about a caravan of immigrants traveling north toward the country’s southern border. Democrats agreed on a strategy of mostly ignoring that issue, but the party is divided on how best to grapple with immigration in general.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's because the left can not separate itself from its own idealism. The left believes that the west should provide a home to persecuted people. Clinton is seeing the reality, that xenophobia is real, and that political, there are forces that will exploit that xenophobia to take power and institute policies that would in the end of the day, be counterproductive to the very ideals the left is striving for.

The left can not separate itself from seeing the bigger picture. The best way to undermine Trump is to understand the xenophobic fears around the browning of America and figuring out how to disarm people like Trump from capitalizing on those fears.

Dems should taut how they have done more to stop illegal immigration and continue to keep our borders secure. And put proposals forward around practical solutions. They have to change the dialogue away from sanctuary cities and instead around keeping our police force fighting crime, not doing the federal gov't job. Instead of building walls, they should talk about supporting the border security agents and helping them do their job better. So on and so forth.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This thread title isn't about provoking thought, it's about provoking emotion - more specifically the emotion of anger.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

and yet here you and I are, having a civil conversation on the topic for the first time ever ;)

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I would gently disagree that the "left" automatically is welcoming to strangers ("It's because the left can not separate itself from its own idealism. The left believes that the west should provide a home to persecuted people.") Phil Cafaro at Colorado State has notoriously argued for strict immigration laws out of a concern for the environment--and Cafaro is about as left as they come. see for example

https://www.researchgate.net/public...r_Reducing_Immigration_into_the_United_States

I think that's actually available but if it's paywalled I can try and get it to you if you'd like

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

One POV doesn't define 1/3 of the country

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no, he's definitely an outlier