1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] Cardinals under FBI investigation for hacking Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that's some shady **** right there.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Manfred: Cards-Astros hacking decision during offseason

Major League Baseball plans to have a decision during the offseason on possible discipline stemming from the investigation of a St. Louis Cardinals employee who hacked into a Houston Astros computer system.

Former St. Louis scouting director Christopher Correa was sentenced in July to 46 months in prison and ordered to pay $279,038 in restitution after pleading guilty to five counts of unauthorized access of a protected computer from 2013 to at least 2014. When he pleaded guilty in January, Correa had maintained he found proprietary Cardinals' information in the Astros' database.

Cardinals Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. had blamed the hack on "roguish behavior" by a handful of individuals.

"We are in the process of finishing up our investigation," baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said Wednesday. "I wish it had gotten a little more help a little sooner from the U.S. attorney's office. But the cards come up how they come up, and we're going to finish our investigation, and there will be a resolution of that during this offseason."​

3. Progs

Progs Member

Are the Astros going to be awarded a compensation 1st Rd pick. That would be niceeeee!

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I truly hope that that the Cardinals lose their comp picks for multiple years. That's would be a nice punishment.

The question is whether that the MLB will compensate the Astros for their loss. It is unclear if they will.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm betting there is no compensation to the Astros and the Cards only have to pay a fine.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt the Astros will be given compensation in the form of draft picks as other teams would protest they are being hurt by a dispute they aren't responsible. I'm expecting Astros receive a ton of cash.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Astros compensation would almost certainly be limited to cash if anything.

I think the Cardinals will lose draft picks.

8. raining threes

Hopefully the Astros spend that money to upgrade the team and sign Correa/Springer/Altuve to long term deals.

The Cards should lose all 1st round picks for the next 5 years. That would be a deterent.

# The Cardinal way

9. Progs

Progs Member

A ton of cash would be nice.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Maybe reward the Astros St Louis Cardinals 1st Rd pick and fine them to boot.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think organizations will ever get it. You can kill the Cardinals, but that isn't going to stop the humans doing the infiltration. They may stop orchestrated spying, which I think you can limit to the Patriots, Formula 1, and America's cup, but the individuals are still going to peak and pry.

First, nobody even understands the consequences of logging into a former employers network. That hasn't changed. Likely never will. Second, most organizations have security policy ( due to audits ) but don't enforce it, so they don't understand what can go wrong and how quickly. Third, they aren't tracking hacking. Fourth, most people don't understand the consequences of doing damage once in there either.

I don't think you can ever deter someone from going in, as it's easy, and most times you are either curious or want to do damage and that seems to override any concerns over what legal issues you may face, which aren't even thought about. Most people know they are doing something wrong, but look at it more like hey, they left the door open, it's on them.

Putting these guys in prison would stop them. But likely not the next person. Fining the Organization isn't going to much league wide. There's a little more awareness, but my best guess nothing changes from a security standpoint.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

.... you sound like you're trying to justify hacking.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Non computer related cheating happens all the time. The Broncos and Seahawks have repeatedly violated league rules,including breaking the same rules over and over again. Taping like "spy gate" has been numerous times in the past.

The Padres GM just got caught cheating in an elaborate and orchestrated way.

Hacking is no different. When people are punished and punished severely for it, people will think twice before doing it. It is like lying about taxes. It is easy to do, but most people avoid doing it because they don't want the consequences.

I doubt the Cardinals were the first club to hack another. For all I know, the Astros were hacking as well. Having said that, you better believe that future front offices and employees will be leery of doing it seeing that the hacker was sentenced to several years in jail. The commissioner needs to punish the Cardinals to a degree that severely restricts the motivation of future teams from following suit. I doubt that the Astros receive draft picks in return, but a large financial fine and loss of future compensatory picks would be sufficient.

14. GottaHaveHeart

I think Astros should be allowed to pick from Cards farm system and also be compensated! Cards should also lose picks

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How about we get their 2nd pick in the draft for the next five years and what we pay him comes out of their pool :rolleyes:

16. Buck Turgidson

Cards lose picks, Stros get money, that would be the right thing to do which means that MLB/Manfred will do something else.

17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

How would the other teams be hurt? They aren't going to get the player that is picked there, regardless if its the cards or astros doing the picking. Just give the astros the cards pick in a particular round.
    It would hurt the cards, somewhat compensate the astros for presumed lost value in recent drafts and not affect other teams' ability to get the guy they want.

18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I say the Astros take their place in the competitive balance lottery for good starting this draft.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros play Rangers, Angels, As and Mariners a lot. If you can't see how giving the Astros draft picks would hurt them, I don't know what to say.

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Don't teams get extra draft picks every year as compensation in one way or another?
    How would this be any different?
    We were hurt by being hacked, so we are receiving compensation.