1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Post] Nets possibly pursuing Swift sign-and-trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KHimmatramka, Jul 15, 2005.

1. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

I want NJ to get SAR so that we will have a better chance at Swift...

July 15, 2005 -- Trail Blazers free agent Shareef Abdur-Rahim and his agent are willing to wait as long as it takes to find a solution for his future. The Nets won't go that long.
    "We can wait until there is a solution," said Abdur-Rahim's agent, Aaron Goodwin, who has received numerous mid-level exception offers for his client.

"We are going about our business. There are other people we have interest in," said Nets team president Rod Thorn, who met with Grizzlies free agent Stromile Swift this week.

The mid-level is for five years, but Goodwin is trying to entice a sixth year that the Nets only can provide if Portland does a sign-and-trade. The Nets need the Blazers to accept a $4.9 million trade exception and a second-round pick. Portland doesn't want the trade exception, which the Nets must use by July 29 or lose. Portland wants a first-round pick or the draft rights to the Nets' second-round pick from last month's draft, Mile Ilic. The Nets are adamant about keeping both. If Abdur-Rahim accepts a mid-level deal, the Blazers will get nothing in return.

The Nets are waiting for Abdur-Rahim to announce they are his choice. But even if the Nets come to an agreement with the Blazers and offer a six-year deal, they have received no guarantee Abdur-Rahim would accept it.

"That would have them halfway there at least," Goodwin said.

So the Nets have investigated landing Swift through a sign-and-trade with Memphis or offering him the mid-level deal.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/26010.htm

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

our MLE is just as good as thiers. if the money is the same swift will come here.

3. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Our MLE is a butt-load better thanks to the lack of state income tax.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I think we trump NJ's MLE offer with ours. But NJ has their 4.9M TE that can be better than a MLE offer because it can add another year onto the deal.

But will the Grizzlies participate in a S&T Swift for the TE? I dont know. We already know that the Nets wont pony up a 1st rounder to sweeten the pot for the other team. Of course, the Grizzlies could just participate in the S&T Swift for the TE just to make sure Houston doesnt gets Swift. Do it out of spite.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

swift would have to want to go to them instead of us. it's not the gizzlies choice. they can agree to whatever S&T the nets offer but if swift choses us both of those teams lose out. and for the same contract, i think he choses us.

6. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

I have a question... if the Grizzlies were to do a sign and trade deal, what would the Grizzlies sign Swift for before trading him? The MLE or something more?

7. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Also from the NY Post... from TODAY

http://www.nypost.com/sports/26019.htm

Contrary to reports, the Blazers are not demanding a first round choice as compensation from the Nets in a sign-and-trade transaction for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. The player they want is Mile Ilic, a 7-1, 21-year-old Bosnian drafted No. 43 less than a month ago. New Jersey won't do it.

Should Rahim prove unattainable and Donyell Marshall, 30, refuse to back off his insistence on receiving a full mid-level exception, it's believed the Nets find Sonics forward Darius Songalia more attractive than Stromile Swift. :eek:

8. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I think you are right on about this. Could you imagine how lousy the Grizzley's organization felt after the Steve Francis trade! Say what you all will about Steve Franics, he led this team to a ceiling so much higher than Bibby and SAR ever did. Francis was a SUPERSTAR here in Houston.

I just think that the Grizzley's really despise our organization and would prefferably get nothing in return as to not help the Rockets. Even if the Rockets were to offer better value in any sort of sign and trade. Really, I'd give Memphis a conditional number 1 pick for Swift in sign and trade.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

whats really shocking is the Songalia plays for the kings.

10. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Well, I think that the major hold up it Atlanta. Everyone is seeing how the offer to Joe Johnson is going to hold up. It may not be the Nets holding this entire process.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

classic!

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

It would be more than the MLE. It's Swift's choice on what he wants to do. He can accept the MLE from us leaving the Grizzlies completely out of it. However, if he wants a bigger contract, he's going to have to use the Grizzlies.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No. You can't sign and trade an MLE. It's just a curiousity that the Nets' TE is near the MLE in value.

The Nets want to use their trade exception so that they still have an MLE. IMHO, a TE is of little to no value to a team like MEM which is trying to reduce payroll not take on additional players with a TE. Of course, the Grizz could just not use the TE but then they'd probably like another enticement...like a pick. So then the Nets are back to the same dance they are having with POR.

#13 GATER, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just for everyone to keep in mind, while the Nets' Trade Exception of 4.9M is about the same value as the league MLE, the thing that gives the TE the edge in it's value is that when a team S&T's for the Trade Exception you can add a 6th year on the deal versus the max of 5 years for the MLE.
    On the other hand, when you throw in the fact that there is no State Income tax in Texas, that might negate the extra year's value for Swift to go to the Nets for 6 years.

15. micah1j

micah1j Member

Plus 10.5% raise as opposed to 8%. would add about 8-10M more with both. Not chump change by any stretch. ;)

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good call, I forgot about the raise percentage difference.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

And NJ's lack of decent Mexican food. ;)

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Trading a player that a rival in your conference wants to keep them from getting better, now that's interesting. The Nets have a ton of options to deal for someone they want and the Griz have nothing to lose if they do an SnT for a conditional first or unconditional second, I see them taking this deal rather than losing SS and getting nothing in return. They definitely want SAR so the Nets are using the Swift negotiations as leverage with SAR and his agent.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Songaila is a restricted free agent.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Gater, where are you? What would be the difference in the total dollars for the MLE with the raises over 3 years, with an opt out, as opposed to NJ's S&T for the trade exception and max raises for 6 years? What would we have to offer on the "wink wink" to equal or get close to that 6 year deal for the final 3 years plus?