1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{NY Daily News} Phil of Waiting ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, May 17, 2005.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

According to Sportsradio610, Le$ cares more about supporting his fellow New Yorker than becoming a champion....

:(

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not want jackson, i also feel he is overrated. He just had the luck of coaching the best player in the world. And after that he got lucky because he could coach shaq.
    Just keep JVG. he rocks.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

C'mon you call the roll players overrated but give no props to the coach for it? I say that Phil is responsible for inflating their value and landing them fat contracts like what Fisher and George got. Phil knows his stars and he brings role players who know their role around their star. He maximizes the team's potential barring drama and setback. Harris and Rambis couldn't handle the feud between Shaq and Kobe, and there was a lot brewing. Rumors of Shaq b**** slapping Kobe and teammates freezing the rookie out were still there before the championships, but less noticed.

Players love a coach that knows his stuff and earned their respect. Phil has both. I'm putting a hold on Phil's dirty mindgames because Kobe was a headcase and Jordan, Pippen, and Shaq, plus all the other role players that made a name doing one specialized thing loved their coach.

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

First of all, I think we should keep JVG until the end of next year, to see if he can lead them to a better regular & playoff season. The Rockets have made progress under him during the past two years, so he deserve to coach this team more until prove otherwise.

Second, we were not "close" this year. This is a false assumption many fans have after we took the Mavs to 7 games. Do you guys remember last years playoff where we took the Lakers to the wire in two of those games, could be 3-1, instead of 1-3 after four games? After that series, many here said the same thing about the Rockets, feeling we were very close to be a good team, and you know what happened in that Summer. This Rockets team have two positions set, and that's all we have. We are far away from being a good team, a lot of works there need to be done before we can claim be a good team.

Finally, JVG might be a good coach, but P. Jackson is a great coach. You guys have a short memory about Jackson's career, the guy can flat out coaching. When he took over the Bulls, MJ was a bull hog, S. Pippen & H. Grant were not good yet, but he took them to the conference final the first season, then won three titles in a row. When MJ left for Baseball, PJ coached the Bulls to 55(?) wins with a team most predicted wouldn't even make the playoff; and that team took the Knicks to the wire, lost due to a horrible, last second call by Hue Hollins. When he took over the Lakers, they were not as talented as the year before, and the majority of the main-stream medias were waiting to bash the guy. What did he accomplished with the Lakers was nothing short of magic, three titles, one final trip, all within five years. Yes, Jackson always had talent, but didn't every winning team have talent? Didn't others tried the Bulls, the Lakers before he took over? Stop bashing the guy, get on with the reality.

The things stood out for me about Jackson are the respect he demands from his players, and the rising value of the players after played for him. I still remember the gift his players gave him during one of the season, a Harley-Davidson with the signatures from all of his players, and Rodman rode that motorcycle to the party.;) There was a reason both Shaq & MJ said that they wouldn't play for any other coach (though both did late;) ).

#84 daoshi, May 18, 2005
    Last edited: May 18, 2005
  5. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Sooooo...

hmm, a team with Jordan or Kobe or Shaq wins championships.

Yes, it MUST be the coach. Sounds like a job only for PJ...

...Carlesimo

Jesus, this Houston team is on the rise; it's not even 4 years into Yao's career. Of course Yao and TMac will develop together and will probably win championships. With a player like Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, McGrady, or Yao, it's hard to say it was the coach that won the championships.

I'm sick of reading people blaming JVG for "restricting" Yao and saying that Jackson will magically make him so much better. JVG TRIED Yao as the #1 option, deferring to TMac, but he wasn't ready this past year. It was Yao's fault for "sucking" or "underachieving".

There's no reason to bring in PJ and further confuse this team that is quickly on the rise. I am going all out right now and saying that Van Gundy will have this team in at least the Western Conference Finals next season.

Yeah, Phil Jackson is the only coach for this team. :rolleyes:

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Can you say Opportunist?

PJ smells a winner in Houston....he knows he can't rebuild a team, nor coach an aging team to a championship...all he can do smell a team on the verge of something big and capitalize on it.

Yeah, he's a good coach, but not a great one. That's why he can only go into a ready made situation. The guy got lucky with Jordon...that's all. Put him on a regular team without the best players in the league and he will be shown to be nothing more then better then average coach...

Don't believe me? What the the Bulls do in 94? 95? How about the Lakers in 03 and 04?

7. NewYorker

Good to know Les is on my side.

8. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Haha, please don't come over to debate & discussion because your logic is highly flawed. First off, last year there was this little thing where kobe didn't like shaq and they argued a little bit. Karl got injured. Payton was upset, shaq wasn't getting touches, and kobe had this little thing...what was it...oh yea...the RAPE case hanging over his head. Yet they still landed in the Finals. Second, I never said having PJ as a coach GAURENTEES a championship. I just said he knows how to win one, which you can't argue with, again.

I like JVG. He's a good coach. However, PJ is a better coach. If we have JVG, I can live with that. But you guys seem to insult PJ out of spite. Say what you want about his personality, but that man is a great coach.

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy reveals himself....

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Of course, all this crud is moot as JVG contract has been extended.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

there is nothing wrong with the logic that says that Jackson has won what he has because of the players...not necessarily cause of his skill.

you and other BCT lovers keep repeating how great he is....care to give details? what makes him so great?

the ability to see when a team has the best players in the league and come coach them?

his ability to create a league-leading defensive scheme?

his ability to create a great offensive scheme?

his ability to develop and train players to play better than their skillsets dictate they can?

do any of these things apply to the HIGHLY overrated bozo by the name of Phil Jackson?

only one of them do.....you tell me, which one is it?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like JVG, but Phil has won all those rings, so if he did become available...

I say we tell him to shove it up his pseudo-Zen arse. The guy is a media spotlight hogging, ego-driven, pig. He didn't put in the work to get this team where it is or where it will be, and I don't want him to get another ring as part of the Rockets.

13. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

i can see this point...

I mean there are a number of people that complain that JVG is not utilizing his players correctly, mainly Yao. Many have argued, he shoudln't be setting picks 20ft from the bucket, and making him move more than he should since he's not nimble and tires quickly.

On the other hand, JVG also didn't want T-mac to be T-mac until he realized that was the best course. So you can argue JVG definitely knows how to admit he's wrong and let his players do what they do best...for the most part. It's a tough call, given Jackson's record, but I, for one, am glad JVG is going to be our coach.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ditto!

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

Then you don't want the Rockets to have their best chance to win a championship.

16. NewYorker

JVG is not a flasher, dude.

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

Perhaps not, but he is just one more NBA head coach without a championship...

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well, since there are only 2 NBA head coaches w/ championships right now, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing.

19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still think that Van Gundy is still the man for the Job. I do like Phil Jackson, but i don't like the price tag with him.