1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nugs] Warkenstein & Chapman Let Go

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

So, in the Melo thread when I said:

I was apparently tempting fate. Because 2/3 of our front office (and the only two "official" members as Bret Bearup is working off of the books) have not had their contracts renewed.

I almost missed being irrelevant, so this is nice in that regard.

*FACEPALM*

Marc Spears has twatted the following:

Tommy Sheppard was the guy who hooked me up with press passes back in 2000 and 2001, and he's a great guy and supposedly a fast riser in the GM world, but man... that's a lot of pressure for a first time GM to step in to.

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Seems like the Nuggets are in the same situation as the Hornets, but their team doesn't suck and their superstar is about to be a free agent.

Nuggets4, what are the chances of Melo being moved this season? Are they higher or lower now?

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

shocked they were let go they were doing very well i thought

i dont think warkentein is going to stay unemployed for too long though plenty of teams would hire him.

just sucks that most of the teams have now filled their GM vacancies.

way to jinx yourself Nugs4

4. Nuggets4

My gut says higher.

I haven't said anything publicly (mainly because I don't have any facts to back it up), but my gut has been saying Melo has played his last game in a Nugs jersey for a few months now. My casual understanding is that Wark was one of the main guys in the front office who was in the "keep Melo even if he walks after the season" camp. Plus, you have to wonder what Melo thinks of the team dumping their GM's and probably replacing them with a first-timer.

Now all of that said, the big wild card is Bearup. Bearup isn't officially part of the team, but many followers of the Nugs have speculated that he's the real brains of the front office for a while now. I'd say it depends on how Bearup & Melo's relationship is. That's something I know nothing about.

5. Nuggets4

Agreed. They haven't had ANY flexibility cap wise the last few years, but they always found under-the-radar cheap options (JR, Afflalo, Lawson, Bird, etc.). I always wanted to see what they could do with some cap space. Guess we won't see that...

Wark is PHENOMENAL when it comes to talent, but tends to really like headcases. Look at most of the Nugs roster. Now let me point out that he tried to get the Nugs to trade for Zach Randolph for three straight off-seasons. He needs to work with someone who has a very strong personality to balance him out to be a success (which is why Bearup was so good with him).

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My perception tends to be:

GM quits - getting out before the fail happens (Ferry leaving)

GM fired - ownership trying to show disgruntled player that they'll make changes that player wants

And 90% of the time - this is usually only about staff member wanting a raise, and ownership wanting someone that will work for less. Amazes me how pro sports franchises splash tens of millions on dubious players but are stingier than Scrooge McDuck with their employees making 5 to low 7 figures.

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Would there be a strong possibility that Melo gets moved this offseason? Even during training camp possibly?

Or if they decide to move on, will they wait till the deadline?

I would seriously do this deal if Melo outright told Nuggets FO that he will not sign an extension.

Would you think this could get it done?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=242n4ng

Martin + Ariza + Hill + Jeffries + Patterson + NY first round draft picks for Carmelo + Anderson?

Brooks/Lowry
    Budinger/Smith
    Carmelo/Battier
    Scola/Anderson
    Yao/Miller/Hayes

You think that's too much or to little in return for Melo?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

9. Nuggets4

Dude, I'm the wrong person to ask when it comes to rosterbation. It sounds like a good deal to me, but I don't know.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Melo moved before training camp. I'm going to wait and see what happens when the dust settles though.

10. Nuggets4

Plus he's friends with pretty much every model and "model" in Denver.

The man is my hero.

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Yeah, but your the only one that has any clue into whats going on with the Nuggets and what's best for them.

Your like the Doc Rocket of the Nuggets!

Another question, sorry. What are the chances Melo signs an extension with us if he does indeed get traded to the Rockets?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You mean like this?
    [​IMG]

So, what gave you the gut feeling that Anthony has played his last game in Denver? Is it the new wife? Is it the roster as it exists now is feeling stale over a few years? Is it management looking like it wants to start over?

13. worzel gummidge

I'm not so sure. Is it a coincidence that the teams he puts together (Jailblazers and these Nuggets) have off the court issues?

14. k-money

k-money Member

no, rather give battier than martin

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Take it for what it's worth. I don't know if this Alex Kennedy guy is credible but this is what he just tweeted:

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

Nuggets4, can you elaborate on this?

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

compared to 80% of the league I'd rather have the Nuggs' GM. He's done a good job building the Nuggets, spectacular even if you consider the rest the league had made. He's drafted really well (Melo, their pg I forgot) and generally made good moves. What were the Nuggs' owners thinking? LOL

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

What's the point of getting Melo if you end up giving away Kevin Martin and Ariza in the process? It'll be a downgrade as Ariza and Martin are much better than Melo alone, and you'll end up paying more for just one talent. Goodluck with the D in Brooks, Bud and Melo.

That's the kind of deal you do for someone who can carry a team like Lebron James or Dwight Howard or Kevin Durant, not Carmelo Anthony.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Hey, wasnt tom sheppard tupacs brother in above the rim? :grin:

19. Nuggets4

Dude, I know nothing. Sorry. I can tell you what the front office is thinking sometimes, but I know NO ONE involved with players.

Bingo. The man is my hero.

A little of everything you listed honestly. I don't want to say that he doesn't like Denver because he obviously does and he has done a lot for the city, but he's an East Coaster. Denver's NOTHING like the East Coast. If you prefer the East Coast lifestyle, this isn't the place for you.

I've never heard of him, but that's the same scuttlebutt I've been hearing for a while now.

20. Raven

Raven Member

I hope that doesn't happen. Seriously. It would suck for Denver fans, and it would be disastrous for the entire league.