1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets want 5 first round picks for Melo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by viertelasiat, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gah

gah Member

O rly? I find that a hard stretch for any team not named the Knicks.[/QUOTE]It's not that much of a stretch in a world where C.R.E.A.M. is the main motto.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

If I'm Morey and Carmelo agreed to a long extension I have no problem giving up 5 first (likely useless late ones) round picks. It's not like we really have room for them anyways on the roster.

3. gah

gah Member

It's not that much of a stretch in a world where C.R.E.A.M. is the main motto.

Wish I could edit.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What "hate" are you talking about? Don't use the word so loosely.

Melo has been duplicitous from the beginning. He's said he hasn't made up his mind about anything, when the truth is he's had no intention of ever re-signing with the Nuggets. If he indeed had made that clear from the beginning instead of playing the charade game, I would respect him for that. This is the "more" I ask of him.

Tell you what: If the trade deadline passes without him and his people cranking up the smoke and Melo continues to ball hard and leads them to the playoffs, I will seriously respect that. But for him to say a few weeks ago that re-signing with the Nuggets was a definite possibility is an insult to intelligent people.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

They will come down on this demand near the trade deadline.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Are the Nuggets offering Carmelo Anthony or Wilt Chamerlain in his prime?

5 first round pics....lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Denver knows he won't resign, and he doesn't owe it to anyone else to let them know.

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Its clear the Melo wants to play with another superstar and we dont have any and NJ doesnt have any. The only way he would agree to an extension with us is if we have another deal in the works with NO to bring in CP3.

But trying to bring in CP3 and MELO is definitely wishful thinking, but if MOREY could pull that off without having to give up Martin, Scola and Lowry (or Brooks), I think a new religion would probably be started with Morey declared as the new God :rolleyes:

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't say he "owed" anything to anybody. I just have no respect for the blatant nonsense that has come out of his mouth, especially the earlier phoniness about possibility returning to Denver.

It's a free country. Lying is only against the law in court, right? If you don't want to hide the truth, "no comment" is also an option.

10. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Melo is good but I don't think he is worth 5 first round picks.

11. QPower

QPower Member

Amateur young GM posturing because he feels like he can hang with the big boys but once reality sets in, he will fold, trust me.

My prediction, Melo will get half of what he wants. He will get the money, just not with New York.

12. QPower

QPower Member

The only players that are worth 5 1st round picks are LeBron James and Dwight Howard.

13. AugieC

AugieC Member

Right now the nuggets are trying their luck to cash in high on those team that are desperate on getting melo.... but once trade deadline is near and melo still in nuggets uniform without signing any extention, I bet the desperate team will be nuggets.. I bet they are willing to trade him for just a couple of 1st round picks plus some other players...

14. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Shot I'll give them Aaron Brooks for Devin Harris straight up! Of course making salaries match where possible. :grin:

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Don't forget that you can't trade consecutive draft picks. It would be the 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019 drafts.

A 4-year extension would end in 2015. The Rockets would also be hamstrung, when they try to trade with other teams for the next 10 years.

If we want to pair Carmelo with a disgruntled star from a team that is going to the start rebuilding process like the Nuggets, we would not be able to provide any draft picks until 2021 at the earliest. :eek:

Rockets would tread water for several years like the Nuggets, but without Billups. Then, Carmelo will ask for a trade or sign with another team. The Rockets would only be rebuilding every other year through the draft.

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is that the Nuggets are probably just holding off until the deadline. If they were to deal with the Nets and get the Nets' first rounder for the next draft, they have every reason to wait to ensure the Nets collect as many losses as possible before any deal goes down.

Even if they deal some other squad, they may be wanting to get a better handle on possible pick values.

17. FullMetal Sage

Watch out man, Thats my girl :cool:

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Depends on how much Melo wants to go to New York

If he doesn't sign an extension before years end, it will cost him multi-millions after the new owner friendly CBA is signed.

20. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

This just in from AP:
    Colorado Judge Legally Declares Nuggets GM Out of His Damn Mind