1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets, Nikola Jokic plan to reach agreement on 5-year, $146.5M contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2018.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Right, it's exactly what @J.R. said.

They'll match regardless but the extension offer most likely will come from Denver and end with Denver.

In other words, Jokic ain't goin nowhere.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

they can't offer him the same. They can offer him only 4 years and with lower %.

As soon as a team with restricted rights offers the max there's nothing more other teams can do.

I think if he hates the Nuggets he could sign the QO and leave next year as a UFA.

In this case his agent and the Nuggets had long ago came to the agreement that they will opt out so they can sign him to a max contract.

It's the best case for any player to make the most money as soon as possible. If he was a first round pick he would have to wait one more year.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait...brain-fart. I listed the rules for First Round Picks. I forgot Jokic is a 2nd rounder. Scratch what I said wrt 2nd-rounders like Jokic.

This is more like Dragic/Parsons. If we took the team option on Dragic, we save money, but he becomes an unrestricted FA, later, and we flat-out lost him. If we don't take team option (like Parsons), he becomes a RFA under those Arenas rules...but we are trying to do the right thing, and get him paid sooner ... then Parsons screwed us.

So, yes, looks like Denver's intentions are to make Jokic a Restricted Free Agent like Parsons.

#23 heypartner, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Thanks for clearing it up, everyone!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They could use Dwight?

Rocket River

6. omgTHEpotential

Please don't compare Capela to Jokic. Two players of very different calibers.

7. omgTHEpotential

He's worth as much as the market is willing to pay him, IMO. Definitely a max player... I'd say he's the best current European player, although it's arguable.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think you may have misread some posts.

Nothing in terms of play style was compared between the two.. only their contract situations.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

While, yes completely different players, they are comparable in regards to contract offers considering they are both young centers entering free agency looking for their first big money contract.

I will add tho, that Jokic is an actual “go-to” player and someone who creates for himself and others, which seems to always carry a higher price tag. Meanwhile, capela is strictly viewed as a complimentary piece.

Adding to the discrepancy is the rockets seems poised to wait it out and match absolutely any offer sheet, and possibly diminishing the price tag; while the nuggets were in a position where they had to make good faith to keep their “superstar” happy.

I do expect the rockets will absolutely try and get capela at the lowest dollar amount feasible because of the pressing luxury tax concerns, but they will match absolutely any offer up to the max.

The only concern for me is Dallas, but it does appear that they have seemed to shift focus away from tying their cap space on Capela especially since they likely know it will be for naught.

Comparing capela to jokic, whole on the surface seems reasonable, is not an obvious and meaningful comparison as both situations are completely different.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don’t think Capela is better than Jokic

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think he’s a superstar, and the defense will come as he improved

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is shooting like 39.5% from 3 and records 18.5 ppg. 10.7 rpg 6.1 apg 1.2 steals pg.

A star for sure. I like the playmaking. And 23 yr old.

#32 daywalker02, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    TheRealAllpro likes this.
  13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

19/11/6 at 40% 3fg and a DRPM of 1.95

Oh I'd say he is worth it.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

never heard of this guy and I work for the nuggets

15. malakas

malakas Member

He's a defensive hole. I don't care how his DRPM is, he can't move fast his legs and he can't protect the rim.
    We are talking about 29 millions. That's almost 30% of the cap.

In my opinion around 20-22 would be his worth.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Superstar?
    How many players in the league are superstars? Are all top 30 players superstars?

BigMaloe, daywalker02 and YOLO like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think Jokic is top 15

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I love Jokic, amazing player to watch but i agree with malakas, in today's nba he's not a player you want to pay that much...not that Denver had an alternative, i guess, but still.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Joker as your second best player probably doesn't get you a ring.

Your first....uh oh.