1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuclear North Korea - missile capable of hitting Wa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jan 19, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

NOW WITH FOUR HOURS OF UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So negative. :)

I think there will be a peaceful ending to Trump and his minions.

I think for NK, you got China, Russia and the world economy (SK and Japan livelihood is secondary to many including POTUS) to make it very very hard to have an aggressive military campaign against them. I think there might eventually be a peaceful ending, if NK can hang in there long enough for eventual internal changes.

But... not sure if that's a fair question. EVENTUALLY, there will always be a power change. Don't think many of those are peaceful.

#302 Amiga, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Once NK becomes a nuclear power there is no toppling the regime. Un is doing exactly what he needs to do in order to ensure the survival of his dictatorship and North Korea long term. On the whole it's a rational and intelligent maneuver to ensure that North Korea does not get messed with.

Our idiot Trump is more likely to behave irrationally and attempt a premptive strike, one which would guarantee potential hundreds of thousands of deaths, maybe millions in both Koreas.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that reckless "fire and fury" tweet really gave away the US biggest weapon against this rogue nations: FEAR

NK called trumps bluff now they're emboldened as ever
    other rouge nations like Iran will use the same strategy now

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

n/m, delete

#305 B-Bob, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. KingCheetah

When NK starts this nonsense -- you ignore them completely.

7. KingCheetah

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Should send Seth Rogen and James Franco.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. TheresTheDagger

20 years ago, they had no nukes and no ICBMS. 5-10 years from now they could have 20 ICBMS capable of carrying 5 warheads a piece.

NOTHING that has been said or done has stopped them so far. What makes you think the scenario above isn't inevitable?

The only question now we really have to ask ourselves is....do we confront them now while we can end this with a limited threat to the United States OR do we wait too long and face Cold War 2 with a maniac who doesn't back down?

Hakeemtheking and Nook like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's extremely concerning. Also taking into account who is president. Perhaps something should have been done long ago. I would be much more comfortable though with Bush, Romney, or Obama as president. Maybe Mike Pence will be soon.

It is truly scary to think about being in a global war with Apprentice hosting Trump branding blathering idiot in the White House.

12. hlcc

hlcc Member

China under Mao?

B-Bob likes this.
  13. B-Bob

That is really, really interesting. He did some incredibly severe types of things and had absolute power, with accompanying paranoia. It seems the unwinding of his worst initiatives and tendencies was possible in part b/c China was more focused on the party and the nation than on Mao himself. Where the three Kims in DPRK have ruled as virtual deities on Earth.

But that's a good suggestion I think. (well, unless you are one of our remnant posters from China like WNBA, in which case I guess the suggestion is very offensive.)

14. Nook

Nook Member

Hey what is 65,000,000 dead between friends?

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

LOL, I hear you and in no way (as I've surreally been accused on here before) do I excuse any such behavior or do I think Mao didn't have Stalin-level human costs. But as % of their population, versus 100% at Jonestown? Well, in that cult type picture, it was not the epic annihilation that I'm afraid I'm expecting from DPRK.

Nook likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm wondering how frightened the people of Japan have to be for public opinion to swing towards approving nuclear weapons. Japan could build very sophisticated warheads within a few months, in my opinion. They could also develop the means to deliver them within the same time frame. I could say the same about South Korea, quite an advanced country. How can they live under the threat of annihilation by a madman in control of a country of 20 million without being in control of their own ultimate defense? Nuclear weapons. Does anyone in the region want that? I would think not. China, and Russia, should have given the possibility more thought before allowing NK to reach this point. If South Korea and Japan decide that they cannot trust the United States under trump to come to their aid if the worst happened, why wouldn't they develop and deploy nuclear weapons?

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Except he is more experienced at leading a country.

TheRealist137 likes this.
  19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I also believe something must be done to stop their technological advances in the nuclear program. Twenty years from now NK may have 50 ICBMs with miniaturized nukes target to each of our states.

The question remains, how do you destroy most of their capabilities without causing a major incident with China?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I found this tidbit interesting, having found it after making a post mentioning nuclear weapons, Korea, and Japan earlier on this page. For your reading pleasure:

Earlier Monday, South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo said that he asked his American counterpart, Jim Mattis, during talks at the Pentagon last week that strategic assets such as U.S. aircraft carriers, nuclear submarines and B-52 bombers be sent to South Korea more regularly.

“I told him that it would be good for strategic assets to be sent regularly to the Korean Peninsula and that some South Korean lawmakers and media are strongly pushing for tactical nuclear weapons [to be redeployed],” Song told a parliamentary hearing on North Korea’s nuclear test, without disclosing Mattis’s response.

A poll that YTN, a cable news channel, commissioned in August found that 68 percent of respondents said they supported bringing tactical nuclear weapons back to South Korea.

“The redeployment of tactical nuclear weapons is an alternative worth a full review,” Song said, echoing a position closely associated with conservatives in South Korea but not with progressives like Moon, who was elected president in May after vowing to engage with the North.

The United States had about 100 nuclear-armed weapons, including short-range artillery, stationed in South Korea until 1991. Then President George H.W. Bush signed the Presidential Nuclear Initiatives and withdrew all tactical nuclear weapons that had been deployed abroad.

Shortly afterward, the two Koreas signed an agreement committing to making the peninsula free of nuclear weapons — a deal that North Korea violated by developing its own nuclear arms. But Pyongyang has maintained that Seoul has also broken its promise because remaining under the U.S. nuclear umbrella is tantamount, it says, to having such weapons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2f7903bab0d_story.html?utm_term=.2162b23289f2