1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NT draft options

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Aruba77, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

In my opinion, NT is one of our 3 biggest needs.

Jesse Williams from Bama is a guy i really like that is rising up draft boards. He's a mid-late 1st rounder
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824786

Another realistic 1st round pickup at the nose is Sylvester Williams from NC. He's unlikely to make it to #27, he's been projected to go anywhere from mid to late 1st.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824167

Star Lotuleli, from Utah probably goes in the early to mid-1st round, but if he drops to Houston, he'd be another excellent option at the nose.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1801107

I don't think Hankens is athletic enough to play Nose in Wade's system, but others may disagree. If so, he'd be another 1st round option.

...so basically i see 3 viable options for NT in the 1st round for the Texans. It may turn out that none of the three are available at #27, but it's nice to know there are options for addressing the need in the middle of our front 3.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of viable DT options projected to go in the 2nd round. There could be a few that fit our scheme taken at the end of Round 3 (where we're picking) or early in Round 4. So basically, if we don't address NT with one of the three players listed above at the end of the 1st round, we'll have to address it with our 3rd rounder, compensatory pick in the 3rd, or perhaps with our 4th round pick.

Prospects worth looking at at the end of the 3rd and 4th rounds:
    Brandon Williams - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/brandon-williams?id=2539645
    Montori Hughes - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/montori-hughes?id=2539944

Who do you guys like as a possible NT pick for the Texans?

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

do we still have shaun cody/earl mitchell?

i'm curious to see how mitchell will develop over training camp. i think he shows some promise.

3. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I dont see the Texans drafting a NT until their 3rd round compensatory pick at the earliest. They simply do not value the position highly when it comes to the draft. They also continually talk up Earl Mitchell indicating they have a lot of confidence in him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think they like Earl Mitchell. He's a good kid, who they're expecting to step up [and start] next year.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Jonathan Jenkins would be a solid pick... for a NT, but i'd rather trade down to pick this kid if we are going with Tackle in the First round...However, i firmly believe the Texans will either go WR or best available with their first pick

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd definitely be considering going NT round 1.

WR's, ILB's - they're a dime a dozen. A good NT locked into a rookie salary could be huge for this franchise. It's an extremely high-impact position, much more so than ILB. I'd rather add a C+ rated NT over a B rated ILB.

I doubt we're bringing back Smith once his contract is up. A young, cheap NT positioned next to Watt - that's fun.

We also need RT, I'd much rather sign one though.

We're not drafting a WR that is going to do anything for us this year. Just wont happen, especially not in this system. An ILB would be on the field for only a handful of snaps and there are plenty to be had in round 2. Get me an NT with upside.

7. Aruba77

Have to disagree with Jenkins as a fit in Wade's system. Too immobile, just a space eater and run stopper. Doesn't have the athleticism, quickness and versatility to thrive in Wade's scheme ...just my opinion.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All signs and reports point to them letting Cody walk without an offer. They seem to be operating with the idea that Mitchell is their new starter and don't show interest right now in drafting an immediate contributor.

Personally, I think that's a terrible mistake. The Cody/Mitchell combo was poor last year against the run and pass - teams found it easy to swipe our nose sideways down after down, opening up (short) runs up the middle and allowing far too many QBs to take off out of the pocket.

It was definitely made worse by our woeful ILB situation, but I think they're playing with fire if they want Mitchell to be a full time starter with another random joe as his backup. You have to have 3 guys able to carry their weight on that line otherwise you've got a dam with a hole in it.

Crossing my fingers they do the right thing in the draft.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

A space eating NT would be excellent for Wade. Point and reason...it opens up the play for the most important player in the Wade Philips Defense...the Linebacker's

We know that Smith and JJ will be hella disruptive, but Smith and JJ would be forced to have more one on one match ups. A big, mammoth NT occupies both the Center and often the right guard. His job is simple, force the defense to occupy 2 lineman...

At this point, Wade can pick and chose his Linebackers to blitz and stay in coverage...knowing most likely the Linebacker he sends on the blitz will often be uncovered...

10. Aruba77

do you see Wade experimenting with Crick at the NT position at all? Obviously he's a prototypical 3-4 DE, and it might be a stupid question, but sometime Wade likes to move smaller guys over.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Crick is going to be Smith's replacement....if the Texans cant restructure and forced to cut...He may be able to get some spot plays as the NT(he did so this season), but he'd be better served as a back up to JJ and Smith for right now