1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now what are Morey's FINAL summer moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Aug 13, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I mentioned it in another thread. Adding Melton will give our Rockets 16 guaranteed contracts, unless either Edwards or Clark are converted into 2 way contracts. If they shine in training camp, the Rockets might want to retain them on the team.

smoothie likes this.
  2. saleem

I have no idea what Morey's next moves are, but I think Quincy Pondexter and Deng Adel should be signed to training camp.

D-rock and j@amc like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now that he has his '3rd household name' locked up as a rental for now.

He has to get hungry again.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't care about backup PG (let Melton make mistakes in regular season) or backup C (let Qi/Hartenstein/Nene battle it out for those 10 minutes). Melo and Tucker will play some C, I'm certain. Ryno will too as long as he's here. Capela will also play more minutes, probably in the 30-32 range.

All I care about is getting one more 3&D wing without losing a significant piece in the rotation. Everything else will work itself out. At the moment, I think they will give backup SF minutes to Tucker.

Alternatively, you could have Harden at the 3 and Gordon at the 2, but then we'd need some more depth at guard. That's not the best way to go imo.

D-rock, xaos and saleem like this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think Miami is the Rockets likely trading partner in a Ryan Anderson deal. I don’t think Riley can keep his crew together. In my opinion, they’ll fall apart from internal friction if they don’t make a move (despite their team rhetoric that the Heat are among the league’s best at developing young players). It would be better for them to trade sooner rather than later.

They risk missing out on FA in 2019.

For the Rockets, I seriously doubt that an Anderson trade lingers into the regular season.

Deuce likes this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He has one year left and isnt guaranteed to resign... we can do better

7. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Obviously trading Ryno.

8. ch44

ch44 Member

Trading Anderson is likely the next move. Sounds like talks with Miami died unfortunately, but something else is lining up.. though it's a much less exciting move IMO. Don't get hyped up on upgrading our roster a lot from this trade. We've already got enough pieces to get over the hump and bring home a 3rd championship.

9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Welcome back! Thanks for the info!

D-rock and saleem like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks. sounds like a partial salary dump maybe. i just want him off the roster by training camp so it's all good.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

1) Agree, but can't be less than an average shooter.
    2) Fair enough, but then I'm not sure why they signed MCW if they really wanted someone else.
    3) Not a priority. Those minutes will go to Hartenstein and Zhou. Otherwise Tucker will get some time at center.

12. saleem

JR Smith and Kyle Korver, I guess. It wouldn't be the worst thing, but I think Morey should give RA some bench minutes and try to trade him in February.

jb86, ECHKG and yixiixiy like this.
  13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I don't hate the trade. Splitting RA's contract into two. One quasi expiring which becomes much more attractive at trade deadline (J.R.) and Korver's medium sized two year contract also becomes appealing trade asset at the deadline. Financial trade that eyes the late season for better fish.

saleem likes this.
  14. saleem

That's a good way to look at it. I hope Melton won't be traded along with RA.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't want to take the chance of RA getting injured again and then we're stuck with his carcass forever ever

16. saleem

Good point. I didn't think about that.

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

face reality, Ryno is here to stay until his contract is over.

Ryno is like the top 5 goat pf 3pt shooter of all time. ;)

18. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

If we can trade Anderson for any type of defensive wing. Off-season has been a huge success.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, lowkey, one the the big benefits of adding Melo is the ability to maximize his scoring in the regular season to "save minutes and wear and tear" on CP & Harden so CP AND HARDEN are rested for the playoffs.

Will likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Welcome back CH44. Sucks that the Miami deal could be dead. I am fearing we are looking at a "Shumpert/Koufus" level deal now versus a James Johnson level add. That would suck. But oh well. I am guessing any "less exciting" move means the Rockets will be keeping their 2019 1st round pick.

D-rock, baller4life315 and topfive like this.