1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Trump repeats claim he won popular vote...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 24, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Without voter ID, there's not really any way to prove this one way or the other because there is no way to know if those who voted were who they said they were. We know that identity theft is widespread, so if people were stealing identities in order to vote, it wouldn't be THAT surprising. Either way, it's a non-story given that the popular vote means literally nothing.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's a non-story that the President of the United States is claiming that 3 million votes cast in his election were fraudulent? It would be the biggest story in the history of U.S. elections if it were true.

DudeWah likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Such a child. Just said yes, Trump, you are right. Maybe that shut him up on it.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a non-story in that there's no way to prove or disprove it due to the fact that we don't know for sure that the people who voted were who they said they were. On top of that, the national popular vote means nothing at all, so even if it was true, it wouldn't matter.

Personally I'd be willing to bet that there were probably examples of "fraudulent" votes cast in the election, but I highly doubt there were millions of them. Of course, if you wanted to prove that no fraudulent votes get cast in elections, you have to use some kind of voter ID in order to make people prove they are who they say they are prior to voting.

cml750 likes this.
  6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Then maybe Trump should stop undermining the results of the election he won, since there's no possible way to know its legitimacy.

If 80,000 or so votes in the Rust Belt were fraudulent, it could affect the result.

You highly doubt that three million people risked prison sentences in order to cast illegitimate votes in the bluest of blue states? How can you jump to such conclusions? We can't possibly know what happened in any election we've had.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Non story? No, it would be YUGE. But the key to this is "if it were true." As it is, its still a big story... along with Trump's disproven claims regarding the number of people that attended his inauguration. And, just like that fictional story, its an odd story for the President to try to push out through his press secretary week one of his presidency.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Without voter ID, they weren't really risking anything since there's no way to catch them. But yeah, like I said, it's a non-story.

9. AkeemTheDreem86

Is he trying to convince us the results of the election are illegitimate?

It doesn't reflect well on his advisors that he's already gone off the deep end of cringworthy insecurity twice in his first 4 days.

10. NewRoxFan

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is he trying to prove? Should we have a hand count and verify the results with all the voters?

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, that's not the way it works. It is very risky.

Only at your voting precinct can you vote without showing ID, if you are on the list and provide alternate ID (e.g. a utility bill). When you vote in your precinct, your name is checked off the list. If you fraudulently voted this way, there a % of real voters who would also show up and find their name has been checked off. This would trigger an investigation, especially if it happened widespread. Not to mention, if the real voter voted before the illegal voter came in and tried to use their name, then you could get detained and arrested with a huge fine and jail time, for attempting to vote under someone else's name. It's a big offense.

You make it sound like voting as someone else is easy, in the millions upon millions level, without anyone noticing. It's not. Names are checked off the list as voters vote.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Right. We just don't know. Really Jill Stein may have won, with all those illegal Mexicans voting. We will never know, at least not for sure. I do know that I saw lines of shady Mexicans wearing sombreros and drinking tequila waiting in line to vote and I GUARANTEE you they didn't vote for Jill Stein.

The majority of the country voting for one candidate over another doesn't matter, the will of the majority really isn't important. Then again, we will never know who really voted for which candidates; with all the nefarious Mexicans stealing identities and voting illegally.

AkeemTheDreem86 and DudeWah like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you read again what I posted, I absolutely didn't suggest that, in fact I specifically said that while I believe that it probably happened, I don't believe it was that widespread. As it is there are millions of illegals who routinely commit identity fraud.....is it really a stretch that they'd use those stolen identities to vote as well as all of the other things they used them for?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is the kind of drooling response that makes it impossible to take you seriously. Do better, be better.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are we going to end up with 4 full years of this petty, pompous, self-aggrandizing bullshit every day?

God help us all.

This sign at the Women's March made me laugh, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should take it seriously. The next four years could look like one long, dread filled episode of "Black Mirror" and reality TV technology culture gone awry.

[​IMG]

#16 Ottomaton, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Deckard likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Whether or not it is a stretch is irrelevant. The President is stating that there were three million cases of voter fraud and that he has proof. This is the story, and if it came out of any other president's mouth, it would be the biggest story on the planet.

DudeWah likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

imso, yes it is a stretch.

You are not responding to the fact there is a checklist at voting places. Each name on the list can only vote once. If I'm a voter, and arrive after work, and my name is checked off the list, I will be very pissed...and will demand an investigation.

Apparently, that is not happening at all.

It would be very risky to get caught trying to use someone else's name, when they voted before you and the name is checked off the list. They could get detained.

DudeWah likes this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I thought Russians was the biggest story? It's changing every week, I can't keep up.

Honestly The Donald has said a lot of words over the last few days. Some of it stupid and some of it not but the news media which has turned into tmz only cares about the stupid ****. sure, he shouldn't fire off the mouth like that but he's done that since forever so it's expected. the media however, turning into gossip rags (mostly because he won regardless) is annoying.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes. If an illegal alien stole your identity and used it to vote... and you showed up hours later and were told, "sorry, bob - you've already voted..." you would shrug your shoulders and head home? "Eh, they steal lots of things - oh well!"

Is that really the route you want to take here?...

DudeWah and heypartner like this.