1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that we have a new GM...My top five requests

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 15, 2018.

1. showa13

showa13 Member

So by this logic he should get credit for the defense being good when it was good, which is something the ultra anti-BOB crowd refuses to do. He’s the head coach and responsible for everything yet ‘he only went 9-7 because of RAC’ is the reason given for last seasons.

And I seriously doubt this team finishes 8-8 with a healthy Deshaun all season. We were 3-4 about to enter the softer part of the schedule. It’s hard to win games with Brock-esque level of poor QB play and a terribly coached and play calling defense.

csj likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Absolutely. He was a 9-7 coach before this season. Defense or offense, his job as a head coach was 9-7, or average. (Another comparison, Jags just went to the AFC championship game and almost beat Brady. The team had Bortles as their QB. Even the defense-dominant Texans couldnt do as much. Props to them). What suffered before this year was his reputation as a QB guru or offensive genius. When your expertise is offense and your offense is near the bottom of the league, expect some questions. He absolutely gets credit for hiring Crennel. Even Mr Clutch, the resident "burn the house down" gives him credit for that. But the reality is if you judge a head coach with wins and losses, he has been about average. Or MEH. Even with Deshaun Watson at QB.

The good news is he has a few more years to prove he is above average. I hope he does.

3. showa13

showa13 Member

I completely agree with the point you're making, I disagree with notion that the ultra anti-BOB crowd has given him credit for the defense. They haven't at all. And yes his decision making was very poor when Deshaun was healthy, but I place that more on Vrabrel and his poor vanilla defensive play calling which if better we would've been 5-2. Even if BOB didn't make poor decisions on taking the ball out of Deshaun's hands and we win those games via the offense, the defense was still in the cellar of the league with Vrabrel calling the plays(was in the cellar before injuries ravaged the front 7).

On a separate note I also disagree with the notion that he can not improve. He might not improve, but he potentially can. Belichick was a sub .500 coach until Tom Brady began starting for the Patriots. Not saying he's Belichick, but improvement is possible.

Nimo likes this.