1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that we have a new GM...My top five requests

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Extend Clowney

Trade JJ Watt. I know I’ll likely get attacked by fanboys but you can have two $100 million players on the same side of the ball. Gives you very little room to make roster moves. Along with the fact that he has had three injury plagued season with last two being cut real short. And I fully believe in getting rid of player a year or two early.

Sign best tackle you can find on the market. Texans OL was just awful outside Martin (injury prone) and Mancz. They will also need a new G via free agency.

Cut Cushing, Joseph and Jackson

Find a shutdown CB and a safety via free agency.

2. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

The thing is that having Watson on a rookie deal allows for money to be spent elsewhere. I'm not sure, but shouldn't Watt's contract expire around the time Watson's contract expires? Therefore we can allow for Watt to be on the roster because there's no way the team cuts him with so much cap space.

Cushing is likely cut so they puts the team at ~ 67 mil in cap room but I have a feeling they'll extend McKinney's contract with the cap savings.

Joseph is a fa so you can't cut him, but I think he comes back on a 1 yr deal to be a veteran presence in the secondary.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Folx make is sound so easy

[​IMG]

Rocket River

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

All we have to do is sign and draft guys to fill our holes. Simple.

5. texian

texian Member

1. Sign Pro Bowl OTs.
    2. Sign Pro Bowl OGs.
    3. Sign a Pro Bowl Safety and Cornerbacks.
    4. Draft future Pro Bowlers
    5. Fire Rick Smith.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not hard at all smh horrible front office

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

You make a hugely important point. Watson has an inordinate influence on other players around the league. They think he is the next big thing, and so do I.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

texian likes this.
  9. blackistan

blackistan Member

Too bad Mcnair is still the owner and our coach just got an extension for being a sorry coach...oh wait they brought back someone as the GM who'd been here before because loyalty is everything with this organization

10. JoeyTexas254

JoeyTexas254 Member

You realize that Bill Obrien has only had one legit Qb in Watson and they were GREAT together. Bill is a good coach

11. Mr. Clutch

You realize it's OBrien's job to find a QB? He's the QB whisperer

12. JoeyTexas254

JoeyTexas254 Member

He is not the GM and obviously Rick Smith and Bill weren't on the same page. You seen what he did with Watson, we had the number one offense.

13. Mr. Clutch

Just pointing out that the QB excuse doesn't work because OBrien brought in mallet and hoyer

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

ClutchFans. Where 3-3 is considered great. :)

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

You cant put that record in Watson's shoulders only, the defense lost vs Seattle, and O'Brien lost against NE, for running with Lamar Miller straight to the defensive line, then against KC, Watt and Mercilus got injured in the same drive in the 1st quarter.

Also during that 5 game span, the texans were averaging 30+ pts per game, that was the great part of Deshaun Watson.

16. Mr. Clutch

I don't think anyone is putting that on Watson.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

The post was about the coach not the QB. Watson was great. O'Brien? If a coach is directly responsible for wins and losses, then he was just meh for the first seven games with Deshaun.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

ok sorry, didnt read all the thread, but I get your point now. yep, then my post about poor game management applies to bad, and just meh

19. showa13

showa13 Member

Defense is great, offense is terrible: "BOB is terrible, just riding the defense's coat tails"

Defense is terrible, offense is great: "BOB is still a terrible coach!"

You ultra anti-BOB people will construe everything to go against BOB. He shouldn't have relied on the defense so much, but it's not directly his fault Vrabrel was a terrible defensive play caller.

csj, red5rocket and houstonstime like this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

He is the head coach. And is responsible for the whole team. Vrabel was on his staff. He put him there. Yes he finally got the offense going, im pleased about that. He just needs to put it all together. "At least the offense was great" is a cheap consolation prize if they ended up with an 8-8 record with a full Deshaun season. In comparison, Shanahan had a really good offense with Jimmy G AND they won all their games together.