1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the dust has settled/ adjustments for game three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, May 7, 2015.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We need to embrace the Hack-A-Jordan strategy. Anything to get him out of the game. That allows us to use Ariza to front Blake, while Dwight/Jones protects the rim. If Paul is playing, we're going to need Brewer to do his best Tony Allen impression, and stick on him like glue. It's an uphill battle if Paul comes back, but I think we can split in LA if we stop with the stupid turnovers, make more than 60% of our free throws, and hit 3's with ANY sort of consistency. The Clippers have destroyed us on those corner 3's.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So basically, you give no credit to the team for rallying while down, upping the intensity when they needed to, and taking control of the game when everything was on the line?? This is the playoffs. Do you think anybody gives a rat's ass that we're missing 2 of our main pieces as well? How come there isn't any sympathy from you in that regard?

3. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Rockets got a W is the end result. But you must examine how we got there. The game was far from pretty and offers a lot of concerns from the fans. We still haven't figured out how to play transition defense. We still carelessly turn the ball over. Game 1 was an aberration. We should've taken care of business but we didn't and let one slip away.

CP3 will return at some point in this series and that will change how to the whole Clippers run. Griffin will have less PG duties and go back to being a dominant force. Jordan can clean up the garbage around the rim. Redick will still drive our guards crazy coz he's craft and can shoot the lights out. Crawford will still be a force off of the bench.

So you tell me how we're supposed to stop worrying. It's like we're fighting a boxer when one of his arms is tied to the back and we barely made it through the fight.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The ball movement for the first 2.25 quarters was terrible. Every play seemed like either a lob or isolation. I'd like to see this team work for easier shots in game 3.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Energy, execution, free throws, free throws and free throws. I'm not so worried about our missed threes as I think those will fall eventually but free throws are by definition free and instead they're turning into a liability.

I would consider playing Prigioni more his hustle and leadership are sorely needed. Not sure how you adjust this but T-Jones or Smith need to come up bigger to put pressure on Blake Griffin and try to get him into foul trouble.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Prediction - if/when CP3 returns, Josh Smith's minutes will be limited even more. He has been extremely awful in pick and roll situations and CP3 will exploit that all game if Smith is kept in there. It's weird too because it seems to just be an effort thing - Smith thinks getting picked gives him a pass from being in the play.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The 3s won't fall if they continue to take those 3s out of rhythm like they have. They need to get more shots in rhythm to regain their shooting form. They have seemed rushed or not completely set when they get the ball most of the series and the shooting percentages reflect that.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Make some shots. Pray Harden get hot. That's all. It is what it is. No magic is going to happen in two days.

9. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member

If healthy, CP3 is gonna slice us and dice us. Y'all did see what JJ Barea was able to do, right? He's gonna create open shots for Redick, Barnes and crew... and Griffin and DJ will live above the rim with alley oops.

Sigh...

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

the reasoning of using a hack a jordan philosophy is sound (ie we need to get him out of the game) but a better strategy is to try to get him in foul trouble. This accomplishes the same thing without running the risk of him coming back in at the 2 minute mark every quarter. Harden is a master at drawing fouls, and if that is a skill as so many have said, why can't he use that skill against Jordan? Keep attacking him on drives to the basket, pick and rolls, Howard post ups, and tricky plays designed to make him get him involved and in trouble. The best thing about this strategy is it isn't mutually exclusive with hack a jordan, you can do them both.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, CP3 is going to be a major pain. But ... Crawford with his clown ass lucky shots ... especially in game 1, do not want that again. How will we play CP3? He is going to be a little rusty, and let's test his hamstring. If we play some D, we can steal one from them. I am betting the threes will drain in one of those games. Once that happens, no one can beat us.

12. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Could we try and run some pick and rolls with our point guard to get Paul on Harden, and then test his sore hamstring while reacting to Harden's tricky hesitation moves? I know that would hurt my hamstring.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, we need to run him around a little bit. Be very physical with him. Hopefully that will throw him off a little bit. But he is gonna be tough to guard.

1 person likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

First , I'd double Griffin every time he touched the ball anywhere 18ft or closer.

Second , if CP3 comes back , I'd be very physical with him .... make him pay for being on the court.

Third , attack Jordan in the paint , make him defend and get him in foul trouble rather than allowing him to be a weakside shot blocker / soccer goalie with a secondary plan of drawing him away from the paint by forcing him to switch which opens up the paint.

Fourth - Make some damn FT's.

15. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Dorsey and Kpap.

16. Danbury

Danbury Member

All about Jordan

The key to beating the Clippers is getting Jordan out of the game. When he is in, our offense stalls. Simple as that. I hate it, but if the Rockets can't get the guy in foul trouble, we have to get him out by putting him at the line.

The Rockets win in a war of big man attrition. Keeping Jordan out of the paint is the key to the whole thing.

Also, if Blake Griffin comes out like he did last game, McHale has to go to the double team much earlier in the game.

17. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I'll actually add to the OP here that maybe I was a little harsh on Mchale - his adjustments, plus the forced changes with our foul trouble did change things a lot.

I am still damn excited about tomorrows game I think we will win