1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that JJ is gone who's the third best player on the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phillyrocket, Dec 27, 2004.

Tags:
?

Now that JJ is gone who's the third best player on the Rockets?

1. Jon Barry 5.3ppg 1.8apg

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Juwan Howard 7.4ppg 4.3rpg

7 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Dikembe Mutombo 3.7ppg 3.8rpg

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Bob Sura 7.2ppg 3.6apg

32 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. Maurice Taylor 7.7ppg 4.6rpg

32 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. David Wesley 13.9ppg 4.2apg

107 vote(s)
    53.8%
  7. Other

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I would think most people would have considered JJ the third best player on the roster despite a sub par season. With his departure which player is now considered the best beyond the big two?

I'll say Sura but not with a high degree of vigor... that list gets me really depressed....

2. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I guess Wesley automatically becomes the 3rd best without even playing any games with the Rockets yet. His stats are almost identical to JJ's.

I also hope that Sura's injury is not serious and that this trade was not as a result of that...

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Moochie Norris is still better than half those guys.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I don't think so.

Wesley, purely on stats becomes the 3rd best player, we'll see how it works out

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This thread is depressing! :(

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lol, sorry Deuce...

I'm actually kind of surprised so many people are voting for Wesley, I bet if I had left off the stats he'd be on the lower end of that list. I mean c'mon guys yeah 13.5 a game.... at 38% from the field and 35% from beyond the arc on a 2-24 team with basically no other options. Face it Wesley sucks...

7. Summer Song Giver

JJ was one of the worst "third best players" in the league anyway. We have only two assets on the Rox.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Where's Andre Barrett??? For the life of me I can NOT understand why JVG has put him on the injured list. I seriously doubt he is injured. He played hard everytime he came in and made the most of his minutes. He pushed the ball and didn't shoot unless he was wide open. PLEASSSSSSE bring him back!!!!

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

A better question is who is going to be the leader on this team now that JJ's gone and TMac and Yao have both said they don't want to do it. Enjoy that run-on.

10. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

His numbers this season are pretty much his career numbers, so it's not like he's just scoring more now that he's the only option. He should get better looks with better players around him.

In fewer minutes, he scores slightly more than Jackson, gets slightly more steals, slightly fewer turnovers, gets more assists, fewer rebounds. Tell me why exactly you'd say he sucks compared to JJ?

Why wouldn't people be voting for him now that JJ is gone? He's not a statistical dropoff- if anything, it's a wash, and if there were behind the scenes problems, then this is trade is ok with me.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Re-watch the Sacramento then Utah game that followed and then decide whether you want to play that broken record (Bring back AB) again.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I never said he sucks compared to JJ, you're right this year Wesley may have a slight edge, but JJ has shown nothing and neither has Wesley. I would think Welsey would have better numbers since he's one of the few options available to NO. However I will concede your point that he may not be getting many quality looks due to all the injuries.

That being said, I still feel Wesley is on the downside of his career and Sura is a superior player. Hopefully Wesley can come in and hit some shots with better looks.

13. TL

TL Contributing Member

After TMac and Yao, the next best basketball player may be Carrol Dawson.

Hopefully this team can become an example of the "whole being greater than the sum of the parts", because the individuals here certainly don't inspire much.

14. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Hooroo,

Like many rookies AB has excellent offensive skills, not much yet in the way of defensive skills and is in need of much patience to see if he can get there either sooner or later.

Sorta like Steve Francis who got his lunch ate on the court big time his first year by many opposing guards - and seems to me that trend continued even into last year, even by rookies....

So the question remains does AB bring something to the court we need and are missing? Does he deserve minutes on this team? I think many agree that answer is yes.

Now when we obtain all-star quality PG's starting & backup, he may no longer be needed. But there is also the chance that a good coach could develop him via a balance of court time, team practice and one-on-one tutoring. Be nice if that could happen here.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Hasn't yet. Van Frump-a-Grump prefers to put players who could develop into decent role players on the IR.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is not a single player who could be considered as a 3rd BEST option.