1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Oh wow you took my words and completely tangled them up.
    I never once said that BEV alone could've got you CP I said BEV alone could've got you more than just CP. Remember CP was a FA and the ONLY reason we even made this SIGN AND TRADE was because CP wanted to do right by LA.
    Yes BEV wanted to be traded so that he could showcase his skills but LA wasn't the only team we HAD to trade him to.
    Again I said this on another forum, if CP REALLY wanted Melo why not just sign with HOU? We could've easily made moves to open up more cap space and have given NY a better offer. I'm sure NY would've loved a package of BEV, Lou, Dekker, Harrell, and a future 1st for Melo. Or maybe they would've taken Anderson if we gave them BEV, Dekker, and a future 1st. Than turn and trade Lou to another team for cap space situation and a pick.
    Again Lou wasn't a FA and even if he didn't play to his full potential I didn't just assume he would be traded I mean we kept Brew here for a while. And you're right my money was off but like I said HOU could've got something bigger for BEV than throwing it away in a CP deal. And before you twist my words I'm not saying the CP deal isn't a big move but Morey should've made a better chest move so that he could set himself up for another big move.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We did it so we could add CP3 and other players, which would not have been possible with him making a full max and us clearing enough cap room to give it to him. CP3 preferred it because it kept his 5 year max deal in play, next season.

When folks analyze what we gave up for Paul, they need to throw Tucker and Luc into the equation. And anyone else we used a portion of the above the cap MLE to sign.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am tangling your words? That's hilarious... almost as hilarious as how wrong you consistently are. You said and I quote "You're right about BEV wanting out but he alone could've got you more than just CP." Let's take a direct look at your entire quote.

Do you realize why we made this trade (it was not a sign and trade like you are saying, so wrong again)? It was NOT because CP3 wanted to do right by the Clippers. It definitely helped that he did end up doing right by them, but you forget that CP3 was completely willing to opt out and actually intended to opt out before Morey himself convinced him to opt back in to make it easier for us to acquire him. Did you realize that it would have been even more expensive for us to simply sign him as a FA or via sign and trade?

Beverley wanted to leave. We wanted a PG. Clippers wanted Bev. It was a no brainer to swap PG's at that point. If we didn't give up Bev, who would we have given up... Capela? Ariza who was is a close friend of both Harden and CP3? Ego who we need?

Again, we only gave up 2 things of value; Beverley and a draft pick. Neither of those 2 things was useful for us at the time, though one could make a legitimate argument of whether the draft pick was necessary. Lou Williams was leaving, either for CP3 or if we didn't get CP3, some other max star/superstar. Unless, we shed Anderson (something we would never have done unless we could sign another replacement big first) or Ego/Ariza (LOL... fat chance, we wouldn't give them up for Melo), Lou had to go.

Since you believe so fervently that Morey should have made a better move, what would you have considered a better move, especially considering your previous idea was completely off numbers wise.

roslolian likes this.
  4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Worst idea ever. Our D would take a huge hit.

rockpileindisma and roslolian like this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't understand how we couldn't have topped the okc deal for PG13.

Gordon plus whatever would have been better than olidipo and sabonis, plus E.G. Is from Indiana and played his high school and college ball their.

Seems like a no brainer.

I guess they see something in Sabonis.

The rockets are stacked though I don't think ppl even some of our own fans on this wonderful site realize how much quality depth and continuity can take you.

To me the rockets team
    Resembles the warriors of 3 years ago when the came out of nowhere to win 67 games and their first NBA chip.

I think the rocket ad I say this knowing it's not going to be easy. They really do have the talent and team to be number 2 in both offense and defense.

On golden state can actually say that because well they have done it the past 3 years.

The offense is going to be fine harden has led a top 5 offense when on the court since he got to houston. Adding cp3 will just assure that when harden takes a breather we maintain that level of offense.

Defensively this is the best team the rockets have had since the Yao mcgrady era imo when you had Yao as the rim protector with battier mcgrady and a bunch of vets. Remember those teams were consistently on the top 5 of defensive rating.

We got to many vets who prioritize defense over offense and they also know how the NBA works. In sure coach Bizdelick is loving coaching these guys compared to last year.

The only real negative defensive player in the rotation is anderson. Harden is not great but he is passable and has some physical strengths that can give guys fits on that end. But everyone else is a plus

The X factor is clint. It's time he's shown flashes of being able to switch and hold his own he's a very good weak side shot blocker and one of the better defensive rebounders in the game if you look at his rebound %. He's just got to put it together and he vocal that's going to determine whether he's a true 16+ mil asset for a contender or if he's a guy who's a 16+ mil overpaid on bad to mediocre teams.

I need clint to grab 12 boards and get 3 blocks while locking down the paint. I don't care about his offense he can score 5 points a game for all I care as long as he's giving us what I mentioned above.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

What will you do with Paul George? Ego is important because he is our Iguadala, he is ok with coming off the bench. If we get George, then its pretty dumb cuz he will also want to start who is our bench scorer now? Ariza? Gimme a break.

Also George is a major threat to leave for the Lakers, at least we have Gordon making a cheap 15M for the next 3 years.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Some people here are just dumb, trying to second guess the trades that already happened. Where you there at the trading table? How do you know NYC would dekker over Kanter? There is no proof over any of these things yet some posters are so convinced X would have happened with just Y it's so nonsensical.

FYI there is no way the Rox could have signed Cp3 in FA outright, his new max salary as a result of the cap changes would have cost the Rox a lot more core players. Theres a reason why Morey told Cp3 to opt in after he was about to enter FA.

rockpileindisma and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok were you there when Morey and LA made the trade? Then how can you be so sure? Lmao I am amused at all these know it alls.

All these crap for Cp3 is a joke. Cp3 isn't chopped liver, if he didnt want out then there's no way our package would even work for Cp3 yet you think a pick isnt needed? Whats your proof? Lmao

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

George is an allstar level wing in his prime. His best years coincides with harden unlike cp3.

I mean you say pg13 is a rental and he very well could be but with Westbrook signing that extension, outside of okc being a major disaster, they have the inside track to resign him imo.

I think if paul George was here with cp3 and JH he would stay plus Houston is a major market unlike okc.

Your basically saying that because you like Gordon in his bench role which is a luxury no doubt you would rather have that over a legitimate Two way allstar wing?

Doesn't make sense paul George is a top 15 player Gordon isn't even considered top 50.

Ask golden state if they would rather have klay Thompson or iggy? That should be your answer for pg13 over Gordon.

Much easier to find a spark plug 6th man than a true top 15 player in his prime.

If the idea is to win a chip you get the top end talent first and fill in the spots around them second.

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We could've kept either Dekker or Harrell. No need to give up both. Smh.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I stumbled across this thread and was surprised to see how many people are criticizing the Rockets' election to acquire Chris Paul via trade (with CP3 opting into his existing contract) rather than trying to acquire him "for free" in free agency.

First off, the Rockets had nowhere near enough cap room to acquire Paul outright. At a minimum, Houston would have needed to shed both Ryan Anderson and Lou Williams for ZERO salary in return. Admittedly, I was wrong in my prior assertion that SOMEONE would take on Anderson's salary without the Rockets having to include significant draft pick consideration. If reports are correct that it would've taken at least TWO first rounders to dump Anderson, then the Rockets would have been in a much worse position in just clearing room to get Paul. (FWIW, I think Lou would only net a second rounder--remember, that 2017 first rounder the Rockets traded for Lou was also in exchange for the Lakers eating Brewer's contract--and Beverley would have likely netted the extra first rounder the Rockets would've had to trade to dump Anderson.)

Second, by Paul opting in to his existing deal, the Rockets got him at $24.6 million for one year instead of the 10+ year max of about $35 million in the first of a multi-year deal. Not only is that a $10-11 million savings for this season but it also gives the Rockets the ability to see how this works before fully committing to Paul.

Also, many are completely disregarding the TIMING aspect of all this. If Paul was allowed to hit free agency, there is no telling whether another team (such as the Spurs) would snatch him up before the Rockets could complete the MULTIPLE trades it would need to line up before being able to sign Paul. As we saw with the Pacers' trade of Paul George, teams (and players) often won't wait around for a better deal, especially in the early days of July.

And for those saying that signing Paul as a free agent would have freed up assets to move for Melo, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THE OUTGOING SALARY NECESSARY TO EVEN MAKE A MELO TRADE!!!

Had they cleared the decks to acquire Paul as a free agent, they would have been largely capped out, with only the Room Exception available to sign anyone. They likely would not have had Non-Bird rights on Nene and Troy Williams (which they used to re-sign both). They would not have had the full Non-Taxpayer MLE (which they used on PJ Tucker and to give Zhou Qi a 4-year, largely non-guaranteed deal). They would not have had the Bi-Annual Exception (which they used to sign Tarik Black).

Now, I can appreciate those who merely had a problem with the "additional assets" given up to acquire Paul, namely, Dekker, Harrell and the first rounder. But do you think the Rockets would have given up those assets if they could have kept them instead? The Clippers could have cleared a ton of cap room to pursue free agents had they lost Paul to free agency (and they still wanted to take a run at keeping him). Those additional assets were the cost of making that deal. All things considered, it was worth it.

The Paul trade in late June was easily the most effective way of improving the roster, and the Rockets managed to pull it off.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Deserves its own thread and should be stickied and everyone should be required to read before making a single comment about the trade.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

I agree thanks bima, however like you said the extra assets were the concern, but still great post

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

And how exactly do you know this? Were you in the discussions for the trade? Were you even remotely involved in those discussions?

15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea that’s why I voted no. Looking at who we got, our bench looks better. Our defense got better in bringing Tucker, Luc and Black. Harrell, Dekker and Wiltjer were still work in progress and we needed better defense. I will miss Pat and Lou but we got Chris Paul. His defense is as good as pat. And his offensive skills way better than Pat. And we still got Erick so we good.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I don't know how anyone can look at swapping Bev, Lou, Dekker, Harrell, scrubs, and first round for CP3, Tucker, and Moute and realistically say we overpaid. An actual two-way player and playmaker with the best midrange shot who also happens to be the best pure PG in the league is going to benefit us far more than PG13 or Hayward or whomever.

AB83Rules, vator, James.B.H and 4 others like this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

BT,
    Thanks for taking the time to remind all of us the intricacies of what DM was able to pull off this summer. It was truly a masterful job of getting another Top 10 player and reshaping our bench to fix our biggest weakness. I'll accept that DM gave all of those assets only because that's what it took to close the deal. I really wished he had been able to hold onto that 1st round pick, that was my only sticking point with the trade, but it netted us CP3 and that is an incredible addition.

18. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Part of my post was about the age, this was out time to get a yoiunger star to pair with harden for future and try to win now.

Paul hurt already, and people like I just want him ready for playoffs ????

To run harden and Gordon into ground ?

Still have to figure out signing him to the max ?

Harden keeps getting the past their prime stars, first Howard, cp3, tried to get melo

Get a young star MOREY !!!!

19. rockpileindisma

20. rockpileindisma

Ayyyeee @DonKnock

CCity Zero and DonKnock like this.