1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. I don't quite look at it like that. I don't know how many non-homers would see it like you do.

I'm happy with the Mercedes and would rather have it then the Lexus or the BMW. But I agree with the original question that the "deal" the Thunder got is better.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't feel I am being a homer. I feel you are significantly underestimating how much better we will be with the 2 best PG's in the league making sure our offense is running at maximum capacity the entire game where the only player of substance we lost was Beverley.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Not necessarily, but how OKC got PG and Melo for Oladipo, Dougie, Enes and Sabonis is insanity!

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Blame Quire Sultan, literally all his fault.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes. I get it. And im okay with the deal and the player. But the other "deal" (not player) is better. Not only did they lose Beverley, they lost youth and cheap talent in the draft pick and Dekker and Harrell. They also gave up a 1st for Lou.

Also, don't underestimate the impact of Paul George and Carmelo to the Thunder.

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

- The only "youth" we lost were Dekker and Harrell, one of whom we easily replaced with Tucker/Moute (both are upgrades and combined, way better) and the other who never played in the playoffs.
    - We gave up a first for Lou and he didn't work out the way we thought he would, so either way, we were getting rid of him whether or not we traded for CP3 and signed him.

I am not underestimating the impact of George or Melo. I am waiting to see what kind of impact they will have as opposed to you who seem to be firmly believing in the best case scenario for OKC. They had basically a complete roster turnover for two players with huge egos. That team could easily implode, which would be a negative impact.

The proper way of looking at this is that we traded a Nissan Maxima (Beverley), Honda Civic (Lou), two For Focus's (Dekker, Harrell), and a mystery car (pick) for a Honda Accord (Tucker), Honda Civic (Moute), and Lambo Diablo (CP3).

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No all three okc players can leave next year so it's really not that deep. Rockets can get Melo next year if CP3 wants to stay.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Hindsight is always 20/20... and this offseason superstars got pretty bad returns from trades.

But it did not occur in a vacuum. Rockets were in a different situation that required us to do what we did in order to make it work. And, in reality, we were able to add Paul and still become a deeper team by signing Tucker and Luc as well.

There will be a lot of buzz about OKC coming in at the last minute and getting Melo. And rightfully so, they have some intriguing potential. But there are also some pretty big concerns about their fit and about their lack of depth moving forward

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Perhaps too much, but only because he would have been a free agent anyway. But let's consider the alternative...CP3 becomes a free agent and wants to sign with Houston. What do we have to trade to clear the salary cap space?

Anyways, we got the #6-7 player in the league....let's not get too down. George is probably around #15 and Melo around #30.

The focus needs to be on getting Lebron now.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

People also forget that if we let CP3 get to FA, it would mean that that he would be EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE to sign, meaning we would have given up even more assets.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We still have by far the second best offense in the NBA, and we added 3 elite defenders.

Looking GREAT.

Hui, hakeem94 and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Yes for sure.

Lots of fans here need to stop cheating yourselves.

Nobody could make sure CP3 is not one year rental.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lebron, Carmelo are free agents next year.

James Harden and Chris Paul are locked in Houston. (Little Chris)

Cleveland and Oklahoma are shitty places to live.

Winning.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Our roster now is better than last year's.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think people understand how the cap works, why the Rockets chose to go the route they did, what he alternative was, etc.

Basically this thread comes down to: did DM have to give up the first rounder? Maybe, maybe no. But it's ridiculous to argue about.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We had to give up a lot just to match salaries. The only thing I question why we gave up was the 1st round pick. Seemed like we had the leverage in the situation so idk why we had to give that up.

One interesting scenario is (if Paul truly was only considering signing here) is just trading Anderson to the Clippers and trading what we gave up for CP3 to get Melo or George. But that of course comes with the risk that you don't get Melo/George and you're stuck with a horribly unbalanced roster.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't really think so. CP is the best player out of all of them.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Beverley/Williams/Dekker as assets had to be included. Harrell or the 1st? Debatable. Just tough to say. I would have liked to see the Rockets at least keep Harrell as an asset. But he isnt a deal breaker, LOL.

I totally understand the Rockets wanting to get CP, NOW, versus waiting for FA and letting a team like the Spurs "have a chance" at him. Anything can happen. Even if Morey had to give up more assets than we want, Morey does a good job filling those holes. Much easier to fill those coffers than get a player on CP3's level.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we dont need 3rd star

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

could morey been more creative with Anderson's contract?
    like 65M for 3 years
    or 85M with 4th year team option?