1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Notre Dame Stud WR Suspended Indefinitely..

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by LongTimeFan, Mar 21, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

For a DUI. Just f**king great.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_w...0110321/notre_dame_wr_floyd_faces_dui_charge/

1 person likes this.
  2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

...his 3rd alcohol-related incident in the last 2 years. Kelly "suspends him indefinitely"... seriously? When is enough, enough? Man up, deal with the fact that you're losing a 1,000 yard/10 TD receiver, and make the right call.

[​IMG]

3. LongTimeFan

Notre Dame's Office of Resident Life will hand down the suspension you're looking for. I don't really think Kelly is "letting him off" like you seem to be suggesting; he's suspended until the ruling comes down from Res Life.

I think most people expect him to ultimately be suspended for the year by them. As a fan, I certainly hope not, but I understand.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Between this and the revelation that the video tapes that include the footage from the practice where the tragic Declan Sullivan accident occurred have been edited, it has been a tough couple days in South Bend.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Irish suspending someone for drinking?:eek:

I thought it was promoted by them

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

That's what I thought too...

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great, that's all we need with all that's gone on in the last year or so.

8. LongTimeFan

It has been a tough first year for Coach Kelly. Floyd's lockerroom has been cleaned out, name removed, and he's not listed on any of the ND spring football info sheets. Sucks.

If only this was UT, we could sweep it under the rug and keep our All-American. :p

9. bloop

bloop Member

He'll be back.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. LongTimeFan

Good call, bloop. He hasn't been suspended ANY games.. a big surprise.. so much for "ND separating themselves from other institutions."

I think Coach Kelly will suspend him for one to two games, but this is extremely light from what we were expecting. Thank God we have our All-American back...

Go Irish.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Prophecy fulfilled!

13. LongTimeFan

Haha no kidding. So much for being "different." Oh well -- I'll take the All-American!

14. MourningWood

ND's a joke.

15. LongTimeFan

They certainly look like any other major program, that's for sure. I think Coach Kelly will end up suspending him for the first game or two, but he definitely got off lightly in looking at past precedent.

That said, ResLife could have suspended him for the entire Fall semester. I don't think that is the right decision either. You're supposed to be helping kids get their education, maturing and graduating; kicking them out of school isn't the way to do that.

16. MourningWood

Yes, help those kids that are fully committed to upholding the standards laid forth by the university... this kid's committed multiple crimes in a short period of time, yet the university has decided to continue footing all of his school-related expenses (scholarship athlete) and allow him to suit up for the football team... It's absurd. ND has already given him 2 opportunities to redeem himself, but he's proven that he's unwilling to abide by the rules. Why should he get another free pass?

How is suspending him for the "first game or two" going to teach him a lesson and force him to "mature"? He'll miss the USF game, and then Coach Kelly will have his AA and arguably most important offensive weapon back on the field in time to appease the fan base and buck ND's recent trend of mediocrity.

17. LongTimeFan

Multiple crimes? Settle down.

He's only been in trouble with the school twice -- once for the underage ticket in 2009 and the recent DUI. The underage drinking ticket is laughable, but the DUI is a serious offense. He's been suspended indefinitely from the football team. The ResLife ruling hasn't changed anything -- he's still suspended for the entire spring football. I don't know if or how many games he'll ultimately be suspended for, but I would say his punishment is in line with what most other major college programs would do. Of course, ND likes to say they hold themselves to a higher standard, so this would've been one of those opportunities to show it.

But he's 25 credit hours away from graduating. You seem to think any kid who gets a DUI should be immediately kicked off the team. Coach Kelly is instead suspending him until he reaches certain goals to get his life back in order. You sound like ND's old ResLife department. :)