1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not this year, but next...our Nigerian project

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Codman, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Alright, I could be biased about this player ;) (And to be honest, I don't follow a ton of college teams, so most of you know more about the NCAA)

But the kid just transferred here, and I'm super excited. He is an athletic version of Roy Hibbert---a beast on the defensive end. He is very RAW, and needs time to develop, but he's going to be a star. His quickness and tenacity to block shots is impressive.

[​IMG]
    http://www.gculopes.com/news/2014/6/6/MBB_0606145833.aspx?path=mbball

Grand Canyon University head men's basketball coach Dan Majerle bolstered the 2014-15 roster with the addition of Texas junior college transfer Tobe Okafor, as announced today.

"Tobe is mature, big, and very physical," said Majerle. "He is extremely skilled defensively and is a really good shot-blocker with the potential to develop into an offensive player. That is something we are really going to work on with him. He will bring a lot of experience and toughness to the team. And off the court, Tobe is a great student."

Last season at Western Texas College, the 6-11, 230-pound center averaged 4.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game for a squad that went 23-8. Okafor scored a season-best 15 points on 7-for-8 shooting in a 112-58 win over Wayland Baptist University on Nov. 18, 2013. For the season, he shot an impressive 55.3 percent from the field (52-for-94) and collected 66 blocks, which ranked 27th among all NJCAA Division I players.

Okafor played his prep basketball at Maine Central in Pittsfield, Maine and originally hails from Lagos, Nigeria.

Okafor joins six others as new additions to the squad, including Gerard Martin, Kerwin Smith, Boubacar Toure, Matt Jackson, De'Andre Davis, and Royce Woolridge.

2. ironariza

ironariza Member

Dan Majerle , is that you?

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Definitely not Thunder Dan, but he is a good friend. My defense was never that good. :p

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

not this, not next, not next next, not next next next year