1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not bringing Cole in the 7th Inning...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Problem was he went to Harris to fill that void. Cole would be fine to close but Harris was not the guy. If Greinke gets out of the 7th which I still think he would've you then have Osuna and then Cole to start each inning.

Zack looked like Greg Fuucking Maddux tonight

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

makes no difference. you're not winning this game scoring 2 runs. apparently hitting at home is some kind of problem. its been the issue this entire ws run. and it caught up to them

Rock Block and arabrocket like this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

Hinch plan was to use Osuna as a 7th inning pitcher instead of a closer and use Cole as closer. LOL fk outta here.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I would agree with you normally, but Hinch said on Monday that nobody deserved a day off more than Will Harris (meaning he knew he was exhausted). Then Harris gives up the big home run last night to Rendon (which is physical proof he was exhausted).

There might as well had been a neon sign above Harris' head saying "Don't Put Me In".

BTW, it was also a completely awful move to put Osuna back out there for the 8th. I can't stand it when closers have to go out for two innings.

everyday eddie, arkoe, King1 and 3 others like this.
  5. raining threes

^^^^
    This

I was saying bring in Osuna and try to get 1 2/3 out of him and go to the Cole whip for an inning. Or let Cole try to pitch 2 innings. Harris had a great year but had obviously run out of gas.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Honestly , didnt Harris . The guy hit a really good pitch.

Grienke was cruising but walk and HR are usually a bad sign

Biggest mistake IMO was not walking soto

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I can understand Hinch not wanting to stay with Greinke based on his pitch count of over 80 pitches. Like Hinch said, that's around his limit. But, he should have at least asked Greinke how he was feeling and if he was good to stay in given his success to that point. I don't think he did that. He just took him out. At a minimum, Greinke could have faced one more batter to see what happens.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

In the Game 7 of the World Series, you don't use your closer in a save situation. You use him in the highest leverage moment of the game.

When Hinch took Greinke out, he was saying to everyone that "WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS INNING." That's the highest leverage moment of the game.

jcee15 and Rock Block like this.
  9. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Agreed. Opting for Harris was a panic move.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

**** that. You use your BEST PITCHER in the highest leverage situation. Theres a reason why Cole is going get paid 280 mil this year.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed 100%.

Hinch made numerous mistakes tonight, but none even remotely close to not bringing Cole in with the lead there. Under normal circumstances, I understand the argument , especially since Harris was likely to bounce back strong. But, this was game 7 of the WS...with the best pitcher in baseball sitting over there rested.
    From the opening frame, HInch displayed an uncanny ineptitude that cost us everything. Having Chirinos bunt when Scherzer was coming unglued was another example of sticking with the traditional play rather than being in touch with the situation. AJ, the umps, and Astros hitters helped Scherzer stay in that game.
    The whole thing is inexcusable.

#31 Plowman, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  12. astros123

astros123 Member

Anybody here that can tell me with a straight face that Hinch wouldntn't have pulled Verlander nor Cole. Hinch simply doesnt look at Grienke as the same as Cole yet he was pitching similar to that of Cole. Hinch fkd up tonight.

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You make Cole earn that contract he’s about to get from some other team and hand him the ball if you’re gonna pull Greinke in that spot. AJ cost us, plain and simple.

14. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I would of liked another batter for Grienke. Then Urquidy with Cole finishing the game

15. astros123

astros123 Member

Thank fkin god someone else gets it. Make Cole win or lose the game in that situation. Why the fk would you put Harris in the game.

Plowman likes this.
  16. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Wasn’t even hindsight. Plenty of us b****ed not to take Greinke out before he even did it. I said before Harris took the mound that it was a terrible move and Hinch was going to that well one too many times. Greinke earned the right to get out of that inning with the way he pitched. All of the splits say Greinke gets better the longer he pitches. I don’t understand the thought process at all in taking him out at 80 pitches when he literally had no stress pitches all game.

17. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Bats suck in the playoff. Can’t win game with 4,3,2,and 2 runs at home. Saying that, I thought AJ pulled Greinke way too early. I get that he gave up and HR and a walk to back to back hitters but those 2 hitters are Rendon and Soto, not just some Joe Blow in the lineup. Then to bring Harris in after giving up a 2-runs homer, I wasn’t feeling very good about it. Not sure if bringing in Cole is the better choice at the time but me, I rather let Greinke find a way to finish the 7th. He deserves better. Either way, if we had gotten out of the 7th with the lead, I’m sure Cole would have a chance to finish the game. It wasn’t meant to be. Still a great season. Congrats to the Nats!!! Time to move on to FA signing period. Our bullpen will be different. I don’t expect Cole to come back. Starting pitching will be fine until trade deadline. We still have a great lineups with Alvarez and Tucker getting a full season. Excited for next year again. I’m expecting Yanks and us will be head and shoulder above everyone in the AL.

Oh btw, 9 LOB after 5 inns will cost you a game sooner or later. We all could have sense that.

Elie#17 likes this.
  18. BleedsRocketRed

All this talk about the pitching decision but none of it matters if the offense didn't **** the bed the first 6 innings.

This loss is 90% on the offense. Period.

Elie#17, Rock Block, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  19. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

And we still had a chance to win the game with the offense ******** the bed. That’s what suck about this. It just make AJ decision to pull Greinke and put in Harris to a larger scale. Or even start Smith in the 9th instead of Urquidy. It all come back to AJ been loyal to his players, especially the bullpen.

20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Yeah this what happens in the playoffs, pitchers dominate. You have to win games 1-0 or 2-1 sometimes. Everything was still in possible if he just let’s Greinke finish the 7th. Then you have Greinke/Osuna for the 8th and Cole for the 9th.

clutchdabear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.