1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nostalgia Film] Power Rangers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The film made entirely on member berries

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean.. it could have been worse. I think it's fine.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The reviews are surprisingly good. Critics have been crapping on this movie for a 2 years and they all seem to like it after first viewing. As a power rangers fan, I'm surprised; People HATE the Power Rangers.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Everyone is praising the acting of the Rangers so that's good.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Being compared to the Breakfast Club which is interesting.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

They are saying RJ Cyler (Blue Ranger) is the breakout star. I was surprised he took this role after he got so much good press from Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. I thought this was going to tank his career. If you know Power Rangers, you know it's VERY hard to shake it. It's even worse if you're black. If you accept a role as a Power Ranger, your acting career is pretty much shot save for a few standouts.

7. conquistador#11

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Watched it last night and I enjoyed it. Movie had a lot of heart.

9. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Took my boys to see it. Thought it was pretty good. Some of the same corny-ness I remember from the original series but I still watched it every day after school.

All the adults in the theater perked up with they started playing the theme song after they morphed.

Jontro likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I was never interested in the Power Rangers.. But Breakfast Club, hah, I might have to at least read the reviews!!!

Pen15clubber likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

saw it Thursday night, I enjoyed it

Zordon was a huge dochebag for the first part of the movie

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I get this comparison seeing how the PR's came together.

I've never been a fan, but took my boys last night. I thought it was decent all the way up until they started fighting and they broke out the original " go go Power Rangers" theme. It didn't fit the movie at all, they should have made it match the film IMO.

I probably shouldn't have taken my boys at this age due to the language; I was a bit surprised by it.

Overall it was solid and like I said I'm not a fan.

14. conquistador#11

I hated the show. My younger sister was obsessed with it. Both went to see this movie and it was a nice surprise. It's not easy making a good movie based on a show more flop than succeed. The X-files 98 was great. The fugitive outstanding. Adam's family values adding this one to the list.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why does this thing have so few reviews on RT?

I loved the show when I was a kid. I was 7 when it started, so I imagine I'm firmly in the nostalgia demo they are trying to target (I don't have a kid to drag along so I guess I'm only half the demo). However, Power Rangers isn't one of those things that holds up under adult eyes, so I've never really felt the urge to watch this.

Curiosity is kind of getting the better of me, so maybe their strategy is working out. I do have a rare weekday off tomorrow, so I may mosey over to Tinseltown to check this out

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You should absolutely see it if you liked the show. The audience rating on rotten tomatoes is 81 which is pretty good. I loved it.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I might watch this if it ever pops up on HBO or Netflix, always hated the original show because it was a clear ripoff of Voltron......

hvic likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Super Sentai, the Japanese stuff Power Rangers is taken from, came before Voltron.

Voltron is a rip-off of Japanese Power Rangers:eek:

mrm32 likes this.
  19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Was not aware of that but I can't change my childhood memories of Voltron or Robotech for that matter, 2 of my favorite toons growing up.......

DreamShook likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Worth seeing if you're a previous fan or have kids. Didnt think there was anything inappropriate. There wasn't a whole lot of action but the last ten minutes, where all the action occurred, was the worst part.

Hardly any suit time. I thought the megazord looked like ass. They should have kept some semblance of the previous one where you can see how all the parts connect. This one looks like they melted down all their zords and reformed into something completely different. I prefer Voltron style.

Blue ranger was by far the best. Pink ranger was cute. Everyone played their breakfast club roll well. Bigger CGI budget will help the sequel a ton.