1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Nostalgia] Astroworld Documentary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Astroworld died for Brock Osweiler's sins.

tinman likes this.
  2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

LOL. I was just asking my mother about that last weekend. "What was that huge laptop thing you got for me in 1990 that my friends and I used to meet chicks?" It was the Yak! Thank you!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

How we never thought up that name I have no idea.

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Was it more of a "Mayan Mindbender" or an "Ultra Twister"? (or hopefully not an XLR-8)

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I once saw it do three loops. I don't know if that was as rare as it seemed to me at the time, but that last loop took forever to complete the apex.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, that's one thing they didn't touch on. The concerts.

I think I saw my first concert (without my parents) there. Night Ranger, I believe. From what I understand, you can still rock in America.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

For me it was John Cougar, still not Mellencamp, in 82. Saw so many great shows there w. Depeche Mode in 88 & New Order in 89/90 as the stand outs.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I went to Astroworld the day before it closed.

Got stuck at the top of the Dungeon Drop for 45 minutes.

The most atomic wedgie you can imagine.

They gave us a pass to get to the front of the line of any ride after that.

On second thought, trusting my life to a piece of machinery that was being decommissioned 6 hours later was probably not the best idea.

Good times.

FranchiseBlade and MadMax like this.
  9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I worked at Astroworld for 2 years in high school... mostly on Excalibur and the Joust-a-bout. (aka the Runaway Rickshaw) I also did tours on the train that went around the park during the Christmas season. I definitely have a lot of fun memories of that place, kind of a shame the way it all got shut down. I wasn't living in Texas for the last few years of it's existence, though. I never saw or rode the Texas Twister (which looks like it was awesome) or the Serial Thriller.

My favorite moments were the night before opening day, the second year I worked there, we had to go get everything set up and working to get ready for the new season, and we pretty much got to ride the rides as much as we wanted to with no lines. I think I rode Viper 17 times in a row just 'cause.

Torn n Frayed and GRENDEL like this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

Holy crap! I thought we were the only people that had Yak! I remember when they went out of business they sent somebody to come to the house and pick up the machine.

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not when there are Rumours in the air. Luckily I've learned that when Sister Christian closes her big brown eyes, she still dreams about me.

Can't believe I missed this thread. I saw this video about Marvel McFey and felt like sharing it. I don't think it has been posted, but regardless of your feelings about Astroworld, this song resonates for us from the 70's.

And, FWIW, I worked at Astroworld in 1988. Had to work in the Enchanted Condom, which, at 17, is not where you want to work there. And I would mess with little kids the entire time. (ie. leaving the kiddy planes in the "up" position while I went to go have a cigarette.) I finally got fired for insubordination and "poor job performance", which my friends found hilarious at the time because he had to write-up all of the things I did wrong at the job to justify the termination, all of which had to mention a Bugs Bunny Character. ie. Leaning at the Bugs Bunny Carrots, Sitting at the Tweety Ferris Wheel, Leaving children constantly. (I was trying to hook up with a clown. She was pretty hot.) Fun fact: I was able to go behind the scenes and see all of the old tracks from the Alpine Sleigh ride.

#31 Roscoe Arbuckle, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Here’s another one. It covers the same old stuff. Same old footage. But the music in the background is pretty good.

13. hvic

hvic Member

I remember running into silkk the shocker at water world

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I had my closest near death experience @ WW the 1st summer it opened; I was in the big wave pool and got in the deep end and got tired. I had to try about 4 times to climb up the ladder to get out, the other 3 times I'd almost get to the top and BOOM a big wave would knock me off! I kept looking around for a life guard but no one was around.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have plenty of great memories from Astroworld. My favorites involve my Grandmother. When I was a wee lad, she would take me and my friends up there early, and we would ride all the rides..play the games..She always had a roll of quarters ready....Then around 1, we would get stamped, go home take a nap...head back over, and do it all again... into the evening. What a great childhood, and the best Grandmother.