1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Northwest Mall - the saddest mall in the world

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Mar 6, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I was in the area and was in search of a new pair of Nikes, so i decided to stop by Northwest Mall this weekend.

Holy crap did it disappoint. Most stores had signs saying "STORE CLOSING - UP TO 70% OFF", but they were all stores that I wouldn't go into in my life time. Palais Royal was the only store that seem to be operating at full capacity, but the clothes there is worst than Sears.

I followed the signs to Footlocker and Champs but they lead to no where. The only shoe store there was Foot Action and their selection was just sad.

I looked down the hallway where Woolworth used to be next to JC Penney and memories just poured in from my childhood.

But one place remained to be open since my childhood: Sesame Hut. I took a gander and the food looked like it sat for days.

I found this article after i came home about Sesame Hut http://www.houstonpress.com/restaur...ean-beef-is-cheap-and-it-is-delicious-6427799

This has to be the saddest mall in the world, even Sharpstown is better than this place

K mf G likes this.
  2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Pasadena Town Square mall and Almeda Mall say hi

vtjsr2 likes this.
  3. TMac'n

I've never been to either Pasadena Town Square or Almeda Mall, but there's no way those malls could beat the death that is NW Mall

4. Bob Barker 007

The Mall of the Mainland says hi as well. It's like a tornado blew through it. Oh wait, that actually happened.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. T-Perro

T-Perro Member

Yeah sad stuff. That was my childhood and teenage years hang out :)

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I went to Highland Mall a few months before it closed (it's now a ACC campus) and it was the weirdest walking around.

amazon.com dohh

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's a guy on youtube with an entire series devoted to dead malls. pretty entertaining but pretty sad at the same time. here's a sample

RocketWalta, TMac'n and B-Bob like this.
  8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think the days of going to the mall reached its prime like 10 years ago. Kids dont really wanna hang out at the mall anymore. And 30+ peeps like me just buy their **** online.

TheMystery008 likes this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Pasadena Town Square and San Jacinto in Baytown rival for sure. But San Jac is set to be revitalized here really soon.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

A woman taught me how to drive in that parking lot using sexual favors in between. I was just a kid back then at age 33, almost 2 years later I rarely use my driver's license because of uber. I'll always be grateful for that parking lot! I've also had that pizza graziana's that's featured in the video. The owners are central american, the pizza is better than pizza hut but then again what isn't. I remember when Malibu was just around the corner you could see the castle from the mall. But NW mall has always sucked. My favorite store was always B dalton book store. Oh and the Sam good. Last record purchased there was in 2000, "And then there was X"

What Nike's were you trying to copp?

#10 conquistador#11, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    RocketWalta, jsingles and K mf G like this.
  11. TMac'n

Well, I went to the Galleria immediately afterwards and it took well over half an hour to find parking when i got there. That place was was packed wall to wall with people. The same goes for Memorial City Mall any given weekend

I had so many memories of malls as a youngster, like lining up quarters at any Tilt or Arcade playing Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat. Or visiting KB Toystore or Sam Goodys.

My fondest memory at NW Mall (which were few if any) was when my aunt brought me and my sister to eat at a pizza buffet place down the hall from the Sesame Hut in the '80s. My mom had recently told me that my aunt was told by her doctor she wouldn't be able to have children. Anyways, a women walked by our table and told my aunt "you have such beautiful children". My Aunt began wailing tears and told the lady thank you. I finished my meal watching my aunt try to recover from her crying spell.

I used sit and read all the video game magazines at B Dalton while my mom shopped else where. Same goes for Walden Books

As for shoes,I was just looking for running shoes nothing special. I figured the mall had to be in a dying state so just maybe the shoes would be discounted

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Was that during opening hours? I skipped through it and didn't see a single person...

13. TMac'n

Even if it were closed, it bears similar resemblance to my adventures this weekend

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yeah I went a couple months ago. Very sad place but their huge Antique store is pretty cool. Basically a museum.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not Almeda. They still have a Macy's with plenty of people and 4 sneaker stores. They have a Lids too. It gets stupid packed around holidays.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought this mall was closed when all that 290/610 construction was going on. I had no idea it was still open. Apparently, that's the case for a lot of other people....

Deerbrook Mall is super crowded any time I drive by. Same with Willowbrook Mall.

Malls were awesome in the 80's. There's nothing like that adrenaline rush you get walking into a badass arcade with a pocket full of quarters. It's a shame kids today will never experience that. I remember Willowbrook having a really good one back in the day. Right next to the movie theater. Willowbrook had a couple of great record stores too.

Nook and jsingles like this.
  17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

On the weekends, I like to go there to get a Thirsty's smoothie while I watch the local church rap on stage to modified Eminem songs. That mall is trip. There's also a children's theater that puts on locally written plays - it must be that store owner's hobby.

18. TMac'n

Sadly, NW Mall looked worse than this mall in the video. This mall actually had brand name stores like Vitamin World and Pearle Vision, and kiosks and massage chairs in the middle of the mall.

NW Mall still had pay phones when I was there! Not even homeless ppl use pay phones, not even to order meth!

But when i looked down the hall at the Antique Mall (where JC Penny's used to be), there were quite a number of people there shopping. But not in the mall itself

#18 TMac'n, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  19. TMac'n

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

NW mall will be GONE soon. But that real estate will RISE. Like a caterpillar from a cocoon. Town & Country-like transformation.