1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NOP Pick Might Get A Huge Boost Due to Lottery Reform

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ForTheWinYes, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Don't tell Cuban. More here: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-lottery-reform-is-coming/

2. NotChandlerParsons

This wouldn't take effect this season, would it? Would be totally nuts if it did.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

It could. seems unlikely though.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I wonder how this will effect lottery picks in trades.

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

With this setup, teams are going to be tanking hard at the end of the year to avoid the 7th/8th seeds for a decent opportunity at a top 6 pick.

Scrap it.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder if they'd coincide this with the next CBA just for consistency.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So basically its more rewarding to tank. Lol.

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

You didn't read the full article. The last team would only have a 2% chance.

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Great username. Honestly a little jealous I didn't think of it.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

No. It's removing the incentive for REALLY BAD teams to tank.

They are essentially going to level out the odds a bit. The problem isn't the teams that fall just short of the playoffs. It's the team that tank for the whole season.

Lower the odds......lower the potential reward.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think it makes it less rewarding. It doesn't completely eliminate it, but no longer can you increase your lottery odds with each team you fall below in the standings.

Now you may see teams trying to get from 5 or 6 to the bottom 4 for that slightly increased chance, but even that would only be a 2 or 3% increase in ping pong balls.

Currently having the worst record guarantees the 4th pick, with this it would be the 7th. That's a pretty drastic jump IMO.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

isnt the ASik pick protected? Doubt NO would send it with no protections.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

After reading the column in Grantland, if that proposal goes through as Lowe describes it, and goes into effect before the summer of 2015, our first round pick from the Pelicans just increased in value a lot, in my opinion. Lowe says the first 4 picks would get an equal shot at picking first in the draft - 11% each chance with the ping pong balls. Now read this below from the Chronicle:

The Rockets later completed talks on another cap-clearing move, sending Omer Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans. The primary elements of that deal had not changed. Asik will go to the Pelicans with the Rockets receiving New Orleans’ first-round pick when it falls after the third pick and before the 20th pick of the draft.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2014/07/lin-deal-to-lakers-complete/

Yes, folks, it gives us a chance, if we're lucky, at having the 4th pick in the draft (if we are blessed with that luck). A chance, mind you, but teams will be salivating over acquiring that chance. In my opinion, at any rate. Not only that, but the chances of moving up in the lottery will improve for the other lottery teams. Of course, it depends on the Pelicans sucking next season, and sucking hard, but if they have bad luck on the injury front, or simply aren't remotely as good as they will probably be with that front line they have now, it'll be sweet gumbo for the Rockets. That's the way I read this, at any rate.

#13 Deckard, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why don't they draw lotto balls for all picks?

Wouldn't give us a chance at the #1 slot. Picks trade hands once final slotting is determined. If it ended up #1 it would stay with the Pelicans.

But if any more picks beyond #3 are drawn by lotto ball, then it does indeed improve the value of that pick. The more picks drawn by lotto ball, the more valuable it gets.

1 person likes this.
  15. NotChandlerParsons

It's protected 3-19. It's just that if they extend the lotto balls process to the top 6 picks, our chances of getting a pick top 6 pick get better.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Nola might be a playoff team, and all of this will just be a thing of the past.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're right, which is what I get for posting too quickly, but it still improves the potential of that Pelicans pick. I just edited my post. Thanks!

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Absolutely improves it. It means as long as the Pelicans don't make the playoffs there is a chance that pick could fall as high as 4th even if they are the last team out.

If that gets passed lottery picks are going to explode in value and I will pray to God the Rockets don't miss the playoffs to give the Lakers a gold mine.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, good grief. I hope we don't rue the day Morey made that Lin deal.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seriously.

Also want to give a big nut punch to the NBA for doing this NOW when the Rockets are off the last team out of the playoffs treadmill.

Thanks for the solid.