1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels had to be physically separated during argument

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DFWRocket, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm posting this here because of so many people in the past year suggesting that Ryan would/should/could sell his interests in the Rangers and come back to the Astros. It seems that things are getting worse for Ryan in Arlington than previously thought.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/10/4/4803384/nolan-ryan-jon-daniels-ron-washington-texas-rangers

Daniels and Ryan were reportedly face-to-face and had to be separated by Ron Washington.

Texas Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan and general manager Jon Daniels had to be separated by manager Ron Washington after a heated conversation Tuesday night, sources told Shan Shariff of 105.3 The Fan.

The two members of the front office were apparently face-to-face during the middle of a sit-down meeting "with the possibility of a confrontation," according to Shariff. The reason for the blow-up is not known, but there has been tension between the pair since last offseason.

More on the Rangers from Lone Star Ball: Friday morning links
    The latest situation between Ryan and Daniels involved the firing of bench coach Jackie Moore. Moore was hand-picked by Ryan to replace Art Howe as the team's bench coach, but Daniels wanted to replace him last season. The Moore situation became a "flashpoint of front office tension," notes Evan P. Grant of the Dallas Morning News, and could have boiled over into the meeting.

Moore made it clear that he thought his firing was related to his and Ryan's relationship; he discussed the reasons behind his firing with Todd Willis of ESPNDallas.com, telling the reporter, "You look for reasons and I haven't found any, other than me being a Nolan guy."

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

NOT Astros news or relevant stuff at all. :eek: Wrong forum, man.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jackie Moore, Art Howe and Nolan Ryan all used to be part of the Astros' organization.

In addition DFWRocket made a reasonable point as to why he posted here.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Only reason I care is that Nolan leaving the Rangers would be big towards getting RR back.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Does an admin need to get fired? Who's blabbing about in-house executive meetings to the press?

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen to that! Also, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the old "special assistant to the GM" role from Brocail to Nolan with all the high upside arms coming into the organization the past couple of years!

7. msn

msn Member

Put down the self-appointed forum police badge, son.

As to the opening post, I was all in favor of Ryan's return to H-town until he helped screw us out of the NL where we belong. Now I can't say I give a flip whether he comes here or not, unless as others have suggested it gets us Round Rock back.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isn't Crane closing in on a deal to get a AAA minor league team/stadium at the old camp strake site that the Astros would own (and presumably have as an affiliate)?

9. msn

msn Member

Yeah; and I'm sure that makes the return of Round Rock even more of a pipe dream.

But it's a nice pipe dream...

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Astros preference would probably be to buy the Express, like they are CC, but every day that goes by makes that less likely as Astros look for other options.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I don't really mind seeing problems arise up in Arlington, I don't see this spilling over into Nolan coming here in any capacity.

The only caveat I can think of is if Nolan leaves the Rangers and has decided that a lower key, lower paying and lower responsibility position is what he wants at this point. And given all the above, its not likely to have a huge impact for the Astros (other than name recognition).

But even if all the above happened, I am having a hard time envisioning Nolan taking on some substantially lesser role anywhere with anybody in the very near future. If things blow up completely in Arlington in the next few days or weeks, maybe come springtime Nolan could land somewhere.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

First, I would never get in a fight with Nolan Ryan for fear that I would be horse collared and end up on you tube. So that's just dumb.

I would take Nolan Ryan if it means our starters go 7-8 innings. Then I'm all for it. I love that he went old school and it worked. Seems to me he made a difference in how things were done in Texas. Impact.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think his impact was overstated. Coincided with all the prospects that Daniels drafted/developed coming into fruition.

The amount of credit Nolan has gotten for the Rangers success is startling... no wonder Daniels is constantly at odds with him. Daniels' earning potential likely has taken a hit with the presence of Nolan, and him being given the bulk of the credit during the AL pennant seasons.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Nolan deserves every bit of the credit for turning the Rangers around. Daniels is a Jerry Jones wanabe pure and simple and we've 19 years of evidence as to how that has worked out for the Cows. The ultimate blame for what happened this year has to fall on Daniels' shoulders since he is the GM and did a botched job of getting the right players during the off season. But I have to agree with SwoLy-D in that this is the wrong forum for this discussion.

15. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Where's the pic of Nolan beating Robin Ventura into a bloody pulp?

16. msn

msn Member

17. Major

Major Member

So Daniels gets all the blame for anything negative, but Nolan gets all the credit for everything positive?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Both Ryan and Daniels deserve a lot of credit.

Daniels has tapped the foreign market well and made clever deals to help the Rangers.

Ryan completely changed the culture of pitching in Arlington and has at time kept Daniels spending in check. Further Ryan put his neck out and pushed hard for Yu Darvish which was a huge risk.

Both men are very competent but not always easy to deal with. Ryan is used to everyone getting out of his way and letting him do what he wants, Daniels won't back down.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

we can rip jerry all we want, but fact is he has 3 championships and all of the owners of the major sports in the history of the city of Houston have combined for 2 (Thanks Les . .and Dream)

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure why you're thanking Les... he bought the championship level team that Steve Patterson built.