1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No wonder basso likes Rand so much

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

There goes that presidential bid

Rand Paul Plagiarism Scandal Grows

On Monday, Sen. Rand Paul got busted for lifting several paragraphs verbatim from Wikipedia for a speech he recently gave:

Here, from the Courier-Journal, is part of his theft:

Paul said: “In the movie ‘Gattaca,’ in the ‘not to distant future,’ eugenics is common and DNA plays a primary role in determining your social class.”

The Wikipedia entry said, “In ‘the not-too-distant future,’ liberal eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class.”

Paul said, “Due to frequent screenings, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way to achieve his dream of being an astronaut, is he has to become what’s called a ‘borrowed ladder.’ ”

Wikipedia’s passage is this: “Due to frequent screening, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way he can achieve his dream of becoming an astronaut is to become a ‘borrowed ladder.’ ”

http://www.courier-journal.com

Tuesday, Andrew Kaczynski at BuzzFeed.com found yet ANOTHER example of Paul's lifting huge chunks of text directly from Wikipedia for a speech:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rand-paul-has-given-speeches-plagarized-from-wikipedia-befor

Rachel Maddow said Tuesday evening that this second instance of plagiarism was in a speech Senator Paul gave more than once.

In both cases, Paul was stealing the synopses of popular movies. Yesterday, it was the Ethan Hawke Sci-Fi Thriller GATTACA. Today, clips were found of Paul using Wiki's summary of Stand and Deliver, starring Edward James Olmos.

Watching the clips, one gets the feeling that Paul never thought he'd be caught - to him, these Wiki texts were an easy way to play the entertaining educator while flexing his charming Southern drawl. What a smug, lazy jerk.

According to Rachel Maddow, the senator has so far refused to answer any questions about the findings - including queries from his hometown newspaper.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not very surprising and probably of zero importance to his base, sadly.

They'll be all like "he is teh smart! use wiklopedia and computorz!"

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol saw this yesterday on Maddow. Pretty funny.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wow, that's so unimportant!

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that instead of coming up with it himself, Rand Paul used someone else's movie synopsis as part of a speech he gave?

That settles it. He can't lead this country.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Speechwriters, shoulda left those wigstompers back on coal mountain.

7. esteban

esteban Member

AMERICANS DO NOT CARE ABOUT BENGHAZI
    Nook

There you go comrade mc mark.....happy now

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think anyone really believes that Rand Paul is a MENSA candidate to begin with... so not a big deal.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I CONTROL YOUR THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS

Dig that latrine deeper grunt!

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

11. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

he and his dad are doctors. just sayin

12. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Really, it would have been fine if he just attributed the source. He could have made it work effectively in the speech, by saying liberals will create a dystopian future as we see in GATTACA, etc. It's not classy to quote without attribution, and it's poor form for an elected official giving a speech on policy, but it's not a huge deal either.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Rand loses it over plagiarism charges. Says he would murder accusers if he could.

In an appearance on ABC's "This Week," Paul dismissed the claims.

"Yes, there are times when [speeches] have been sloppy or not correct or we've made an error," Paul said. "But the difference is, I take it as an insult and I will not lie down and say people can call me dishonest, misleading or misrepresenting. I have never intentionally done so."

He continued, "And like I say, if, you know, if dueling were legal in Kentucky, if they keep it up, you know, it would be a duel challenge. But I can't do that, because I can't hold office in Kentucky then."

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That dude is nuts.

15. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

at some point its like, is the strategy to control the GOP is out nut the next guy.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

W.T.F. Just, wow. Not very presidential. Not even very sane.

I don't even care about him lifting lines from science fiction; as others have said, it's not very surprising even though it's poor form.

He needs to just blame a speech writer and move on.

I'm mostly concerned that he is so anti-science, anti-fact, anti-mathematics, and anti-logic.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He is just another idiot who is so insecure that he can't and won't admit when he is wrong. The whole thing could have been swept under the rug with the proper response...but...

18. Raven

Raven Member

What a tool.

19. False

False Member

Who cares. Some lazy speechwriter gets caught. Life goes on.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed. There are lots of good reasons not to vote for Ran Paul or take him for more than a simplistic semi-libertarian/ Tea Party ideologue.