1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NL Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Oct 5, 2012.

1. msn

msn Member

So, starting now Houston is an NL city with an AL team playing in it. 51 years of history pissed on by the dumbass from Milwaukee.

But it's still our history. Post your favorite memories from the NL squad, both obvious and minute. Here's to the Houston Colt 45s/Astros, 1962-2012.

1 person likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The NL is dead to me.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

some of my fave memories...not in order:

Both of my boys' first games at MMP...Opening Day in 2001...and a Sunday game against the Reds in April of 2005...pictures in their bedrooms and both in my office still.

Hatcher's HR in Game 6

Burke's walkoff

Bruntlett-Everett-Berkman

Kent's walkoff

Scott's no-hitter

Bagwell homering 3 times in a game I was at in the Dome

Having Andy Van Slyke lob the bird at me when I was heckling him as a high school punk from the pavillion at the Dome

Standing for the first 9 innings with my 5 year old son...and sitting with him for the following 9 when two seats finally opened up at MMP for the 18 inning game

Telling Mickey Gilley to take it easy when he started ogling and trying to flirt with my girlfriend (now wife) at a game in the mid to late 90's

Turning 16 and being able to drive to games with friends...paying $5 for admission and splitting parking with 3 other friends

Studying for an evening law school final at a day game in the Dome

Watching games with my grandparents...particularly with my grandmother as she was dying from lung cancer

Staying up late at a library on Baylor campus to make sure the referendum passed to build MMP....hitting refresh a million times, and it didn't look good until very late.

4. Orange

Orange Member

Go AL!!

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You will be missed.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Kent's walk off HR.

Beltran's playoff streak...that one where he swung like he was hitting a gold ball was amazing.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's still doing it. It is too bad he has only made the playoffs 3 times.

8. TISNF

TISNF Member

Personal "Doments":

-Unfairly heckling Scott Servais before a game was pretty fun.

-Skipping school for opening day and playoff games.

General NL moments:

Seeing Randy Johnson's first home game as an Astro...WOW, what a performance!

Being feet away from where Sammy Sosa's 66th home run ball landed was pretty exciting.

Watching Houston close out old Busch Stadium is definitely up there. Man I respectfully hate the Cardinals, which makes it even more perplexing that my team is being forced out of the League.

I stopped closely following the team when it was obvious to everyone that McLane was running the team into the ground. So frustrating. I can't name more than two players on this team right now, and I likely won't be following them to the AL.

Call me fair-weather, but I'm pretty much pinning my fandom hopes on Correa to pan out as a superstar.