1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Niners choose Erickson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Castor27, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dennis Erickson that is...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0211/1507238.html

Tuesday, February 11

49ers' search for coach ends with Erickson hiring
    ESPN.com news services

The San Francisco 49ers' drawn-out search for a head coach ended in surprising fashion Tuesday with their hiring of Oregon State's Dennis Erickson.

Oregon State confirmed Erickson's hiring, first reported by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, on Tuesday afternoon. The school has scheduled a 9:30 p.m. ET news conference in Corvallis, Ore.

Erickson, who coached the Seattle Seahawks from 1995-98 and went 31-17 at Oregon State with a 1-2 bowl record, will be introduced by the 49ers this week, The Associated Press reports.

The 49ers had concentrated their search on NFL defensive coaches during the 3½ weeks since owner John York fired Steve Mariucci on Jan. 15. Erickson, 55, wasn't among the finalists -- defensive coordinators Jim Mora Jr. of San Francisco, Ted Cottrell of the New York Jets and Greg Blache of the Chicago Bears.

Of the NFL's five offseason head-coach openings, one went to a minority when Cincinnati hired former Redskins defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, giving the NFL three African-American head coaches. Cottrell and Blache are African-American.

Erickson was 31-33 as Seahawks head coach, the same record his successor, Mike Holmgren, has compiled. Before joining Seattle, Erickson won national titles at the University of Miami in 1989 and 1991, going 63-9 with a 3-3 bowl record in six seasons.

Erickson also has coached at Idaho and Washington State.

Mariucci was fired despite leading the 49ers to four playoff appearances in six seasons, with a remarkably brief rebuilding period in between. Mariucci, who led the 49ers to a 10-6 record, the NFC West title and a playoff victory over the New York Giants this past season, had a difference in philosophy with team executive John York.

Last week, Mariucci signed a lucrative five-year contract to coach the Detroit Lions.

Erickson is just the 49ers' fourth coach since 1979, following Bill Walsh, George Seifert and Mariucci. Walsh and Seifert both won Super Bowls.

#1 Castor27, Feb 11, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2003
  2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Man... I just see San Fran declining fast and Detroit rising up.

3. drapg

drapg Member

You beat me by a minute!

Since my thread is doomed to be locked very soon, let me post my comments over here:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I was a 49ers fan as a child (growing up in the golden age of Montana and Rice) and continue to silently root for them.

But to fire Mariucci for this hack? His work in Seattle was awful! Stupid move by Walsh, Donahue, and York. This looks like a puppet regime, a la Campo and the Cowboys.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Erickson has proven to be a pretty good college coach and the team he had in Seattle was IMHO a little below average. Maybe with a little more talent we might see what he is capable of on the pro level. But that is not to say that he will be great we just may get confirmation of how crappy he is.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What about the kids he signed at Oregon State?

Couldn't he have made this announcement before National Signing Day?

6. drapg

drapg Member

Well after the 49ers got turned down by Stoops and Ferentz, I think they made this decision pretty recently. I heard on ESPN Radio that a guy by the name of "June Jones" had just checked into a S.F. hotel a few days ago. Apparently they were interviewing candidates hurriedly over the past weekend.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Castor...I see the latter happening. I think this hiring means we will see the Niners returning to their mid-late 1970s pre-Bill Walsh form...they are going to become very mediocre very soon.

8. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

I think this is a horrible move. The only real success Erickson's ever had was at Miami and everyone knows he cheated like crazy to make that success possible. I think any name mentioned in the coaching search by the Niners would have been better than this chump.

9. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

In all fairness, Erikson has done a heck of a job at such a small school as Oregon State University (the mighty Beavers).

10. Nomar

Nomar Member

Neuheisel would have been a better choice.

11. drapg

drapg Member

There is no correlation between succeeding in the college and professional ranks. Just ask Rick Pitino! ;)

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I know, I was just pointing out that he has had more success than just at Miami.